mikek65051

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Here is what I am trying to accomplish.

I plan to build a computer with a cheap $25 case.
The case will have no case fans. What is the best choice for the above as far as a motherboard and cpu go. My budget can only go upto $140 for the board and cpu, I already have everything eles. My number one concern is sound, I want this pc to be as quiet as possible with what I have. Also it must be stable. The use of this comp is for simply sufing the net.

Any suggestions?

jpscfl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2002
I've learned my lesson with buying cheap cases...never again. The power supplies are usually crap, the case has cheap welding, no fans or even room for fans. If you plan on installing anything "fast," I would avoid cheap cases.

I remember wasting hours trying to figure out why my motherboard would not boot. After replacing the cpu, mobo, p/s...turned out to be the reset switch shorting in the closed position (due to cheap switch parts)!

I'm not suggesting getting some 300 dollar water-cooler, but getting a case from a reputable manufacturer. i.e. Enlight instead of SuperXpower.

The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

Newegg has the 1600xp for about $54 last time I checked. Combine that with the shuttle ak35gt2 and a coolermaster heatsink, and you're ready to go. I agree with the first reply about cheap cases. I have used the maxtop case from newegg (about $50 shipped) with 350 watt power supply, and it ran well. I currently use an enlight desktop case with super quiet 300 watt ps with the thermal sensor that lowers fan speed when it's not needed. Works great with an asus p4s533.

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
It all depends on what you are trying to do with this pc. Will it be strictly for office applications such as ms word and surfing the internet or will it be for heavy gaming?

If its the former, I'd recommend one of the VIA processors. They require a minimum amount of power, thus making the cpu cool. It can run on a passive heatsink(no fans needed), that way it will be very quite. And you can probably get away with using some sort of micro atx mb that has intergrated everything. This option is quite cheap, though the processor has the speed of a pentium 650. But if your not doing anything heavy then it should be fine.

If its for heavy appilcations such as gaming or phote editing, then chuck the case and buy a new one with a pentium 4 or athlon xp because you should not use those processors in a cheap $25 case with no fans. If it burns out your going to spend alot more on the processor.

"If you sign up for AOL now, we'll give you 1024 hours of slow service and disconnects free of charge"

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
The sharp edges are great. When you get really mad at your comp and try to kick it, or the likes, it cuts you, saving its worthless life.

The sharp edges second as razor blades should you consider suicide.

<font color=red> Alcohol </font color=red>and <font color=green>calculus </font color=green>don't mix. Never <font color=red>drink </font color=red>and <font color=green>derive.</font color=green>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
My recommendations:

CPU- Athlon XP 1600+ OEM $53
CPU Cooler- Thermaltake Volcano 7 $15
Mobo- MSI KT3 Ultra2 $79

Total cost $147

<b><font color=red> Long live piracy! </font color=red></b>