balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Umm.. I've heard some seriously conflicting arguments here.
I always thought ECS were teh lowest of the low in price and reliability. No other Motherboard manufacturer has been recommended AGAINST that i know of..
S I always thought, hmm.. ECS are for those who can live with instability cause they've got meager amounts of cash-on-hand.
Then i read this Anandtech article (which to my mind had always been fair and not sound like they're sucking up to a company):

I quote from the ECS L7VTA article ----
<b> ECS has been in the motherboard business since 1987. Sixteen years later, they are the second largest motherboard maker in the world in terms of pure shipments. The same holds true for 2002, as ECS is only a hair behind ASUS in motherboard shipments.

You could say that ECS's success is due to their low-cost manufacturing facilities as well as a smart business model in general. ECS was the only motherboard manufacturer smart enough to leverage the low-cost yet high-performing SiS 735 Athlon chipset last year. Based on the SiS 735, the ECS K7S5A was a huge hit among hardware enthusiasts and OEMs alike. At the time, the K7S5A offered the highest performance out of any K7 solution, and yet only cost around $70 to buy in the U.S. (and was similarly cheap in the rest of the world). OEM's loved the low-cost nature of the ECS K7S5A, great performance was just icing on the cake. Of course, enthusiasts fell absolutely in love with the K7S5A; the price/performance ratio was unbeatable.
</b>

Hello, excuse me.. did I miss something?? all I ever heard was "death to ECS" comments on the K7S5A. I believe it was right here at THGC that someone reported 3 RMA's before gettign a working board..
and Anandtech says that enthusiasts fell in love with it.

Now the question - Is ECS a respected MB company?? What are your experiences and conclusions on and with ECS??

Balzi

"Hand me that 600 foot factory chimney in the corner.." - "No, no, it's my last one!!!"

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
At that time I was about to buy the K7S5A…
I made a System for a customer based on K7S5A and was really a headache. That mobo has the worst peripheral management in the world!!
The mothetboard was dirty cheap (US$ 57) so we claim for warranty and added US$25 extra to get MSI KT3 Ultra.
At least for me, all those problems were more than $25 so no ECS-PCCHIPS anymore.

I know that’s was only 1 case, but the PC parts importer is friend of mine and he says the same: NO PCChips - ECS.

Of course there many K7S5A working fine around the world but this is about RELIABILITY.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

Croaker

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ECS is not a top motherboard maker. They are a low cost motherboard maker. You get what you pay for. Now saying this I have a K7S5A motherboard with a AXP 2000+ & one with a 1800+. They run very stable with Win2k. I can not remember I crash in Win2K. I have beta tested mutiplayer games on my network with no problems for an author friend of mine. For the $55.00 I spent on the motherboard they are great. If I had to spent $150. I would not have my GF4. I got mine from newegg so if there was a problem I could get a RMA easy.

ECS K7S5A AXP 2000+ W/OC BIOS
512 mb DDR
GF4 TI 4200
WD 80 8mb cash

ECS K7S5A AXP 1800+ W/OC BIOS
256 mb DDR
GF2 GTS
IBM 30 gig(yes it works after 2 years)

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I've put many ECS K7S5A systems together. About 50% get RMA'd! That's a lot. However, the ones that worked were excellent. If you're just putting together 1 system then I would have to recommend against the K7S5A. If you're dealing with a lot of mobos then the high RMA rate isn't such a concern.

ECS is PC Chips and they are recognized as being of poor quality. I think ECS's problem is quality control. Good conceived product, bad produced product. Kinda like Toyota Camrys built in Ohio or Mercedes ML's built in Kentucky.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
So you are all saying that ECS has a BAD failure rate.. but once you find a board that works your all set.
So if a board works initially it'll work forever.. is that the conclusion??

"Hand me that 600 foot factory chimney in the corner.." - "No, no, it's my last one!!!"

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've had a k7s5a running for over a year now. I've experienced ZERO PROBLEMS with it. ZERO. It's probaby the most stable MOBO I've ever seen.

Take my experience for what it's worth.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I know three friend that bought a ECS motherboard. None had problems. ECS probably does have a higher failure rate than other motherboards, but as long as you get it from a reputable dealer you should be fine. Any motherboard manufacturer is bound to have some defective motherboards, a reputable dealer would return them without a hassle.

"If you sign up for AOL now, we'll give you 1024 hours of slow service and disconnects free of charge"

lpenix

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
I have been running a k7s5a for about a year i have had no problems with it, it was the cheapiest thing i could get at the time, it dont have alot of bells, and whistles on it, and it is not a good overclocker board.

I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE,,<--- comes out of the closet screaming i am an AMD bieocth fan boy..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Reliablity sucked. Stability was mostly reliant on using a top-notch power supply and top-grade RAM, something most customers who buy a cheap board did not consider part of the "added cost". They had a horrible rate of defects. If you got a good unit with no defects, you got a great deal on a good motherboard. Most people didn't.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Ah.. so alot of people are happy with ECS.. OK, seems like they deserve serious consideration, which I never gave them before.

I think I'll be find with my PS and RAM.. I am aiming for the 350W Antec PS/CASE combo.. and I make sure I buy RAM with SAMSUNG modules (be it Corsair, Kingston.. whatever)

I like good quality.. but this ECS thing had me puzzled.. I thought reputation meant something in the Mobo industry.. I was wrong. ECS aren't all bad, and Gigabyte (after the 7VRX[P] debacle) aren't all good..

well, I would ask the regulation "What Mobo is best price to performance/reliability??" but it probably been asked 15 times today already..

Thanks.

hmm.. ECS.. a possibility.
Balzi

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ECS boards are similar in price and features to MSI's low end boards. I'd go MSI.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
The only reason to buy ECS or PCChips is small budget. Even in that case, the difference between them and a good motherboard is about US$20 to 30. You really don’t have that? I would say:
aspirins $5;
waist of time $10
McDonald’s $5
bus $5

Total: $25. There you go. You’ve bought a better motherboard.

As Crashman told you, I recommend MSI too. Maybe the 745 Ultra.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I've built a few computer built around the K7S5A and havent ahd any problems apart from modems >> doesnt seem to like certain modems and sometimes network cards. You may have a few problems geting it going but once its going - it goes well. I think most people moan about this board because there are so many boards about that everyone has heard of the problems that MAY happen.

PS - Whats wrong with the GA-7VRXP, i've had mind a while now and its a beauty.

<font color=purple> "After great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"</font color=purple>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Dude....I had 2 PC Chips M830LR Boards.....thats the PC Chips version of the ECS K7S5A....i RMA'd both...they were crap......i tryed updating the bios on the first board and when it was tryign to update the computer decided to shut off......so that board was screwed...so i RMA'd it and got another one...it worked fine for 8 hours.....than it just rebooted itself and would make beeping sounds.....so i got pissed off...RMA'd that one.....and went out and got the real thing, the ECS K7S5A.....powered up...thing ran perfectly fine from day 1....I even got the Overclocking BIOS on it....OC'd my XP 1600+ to 1900+ with that board.......that thing was a beauty....it ran 100% flawlessly......i loved that board......never crashed.....only reason i traded it in for an ASUS A7S333 is becasue it had the SiS745 chipset...1 newer than the SiS735.....

Anyways....Here's the thing.....ECS has a bad quality control problem with there K7S5A and PC Chips M830LR board....it was fixed since than though......but back in the days where there were a bunch of bad boards floating around....it worked liek this...

If the board worked off the bat, it was good and would run 4ever....if it didnt work...liek not post etc...it was a dud....

Matisaro tryed 3 of 'em in Best Buy i believe and gave up.....

I tryed 3...but my 3rd was a Gem =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>