DOS based program

I have an old game that is DOS based that I used to play on my old Windows 98
computer that I can't figure out how to load on my new Windows XP system. It
would auto load if I recall then to play I would have to switch over to
MS-DOS mode. Now it won't do anything in my new computer.

What is the command prompt to load a program?

The game was made way back in 1997.
7 answers Last reply
More about based program

    As in John Rampling's response you can try to run it in the DOS prompt in XP.
    You can access the DOS prompt in two ways:
    1. Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt
    2. Start/Run/type CMD and click OK
    The DOS prompt is an emulator and not true DOS, but I have dozens of DOS
    programs that run OK in XP. To open the DOS window in full screen, hold
    down Alt key and press Enter after getting the prompt, to Close DOS type EXIT
    and press
    Enter. Your program will not auto load. You can copy and paste the files
    or drag and drop them using Windows Explorer from your disk to your harddrive
    after creating a folder. Or, if the program is small enough run it directly
    from the floppy disk in "A" drive. From a CD may be another story.

    "Art Kopp" wrote:

    > I have an old game that is DOS based that I used to play on my old Windows 98
    > computer that I can't figure out how to load on my new Windows XP system. It
    > would auto load if I recall then to play I would have to switch over to
    > MS-DOS mode. Now it won't do anything in my new computer.
    >
    > What is the command prompt to load a program?
    >
    > The game was made way back in 1997.

    Also, if your program will run at the Dos prompt, you can create a shortcut to it, using an Icon on your Desktop.

    "Art Kopp" <Art Kopp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:166CDD25-EDFC-44B3-A366-D6D88FE37B76@microsoft.com...
    > I have an old game that is DOS based that I used to play on my old Windows 98
    > computer that I can't figure out how to load on my new Windows XP system.
    <Snip>

    wrote in news:166CDD25-EDFC-44B3-A366-D6D88FE37B76@microsoft.com:
    > I have an old game that is DOS based that I used to play on my old
    > Windows 98 computer that I can't figure out how to load on my new
    > Windows XP system. It would auto load if I recall then to play I
    > would have to switch over to MS-DOS mode. Now it won't do anything
    > in my new computer.
    >
    > What is the command prompt to load a program?
    >
    > The game was made way back in 1997.

    If the game ran in a prior version of Windows but ran WITHIN Windows
    then it might run under Windowws XP (in a DOS shell). If the game ran
    by switching to real DOS mode (i.e., exiting Windows, leaving a code
    stub for reloading Windows, loading a shell, running the game, exiting
    the game which unloaded the shell and ran the code stub to reload the
    Windows GUI) then it probably will not run under Windows XP. Old DOS
    applications that require direct access to hardware probably won't run
    under Windows XP. In Windows XP, you could try right-clicking on a
    shortcut to run the executable file for the game and trying to use the
    Compatibility setting.

    If you absolutely must have the game, consider creating a separate
    partition (as a FAT32 partition) for it where you install Windows 98 and
    the game and using a multiboot manager to select which partition to boot
    when you start the system. Do NOT install Windows 98 into the same
    partition as where Windows NT/2K/XP is installed as it will step on the
    boot sector program in the first sector of that partition and screw up
    the other OS. In effect, you have the 2nd computer running Windows 98
    that Mike mentions but without the expense of another computer (unless
    you already have one laying around unused) although you impact the disk
    space available for Windows XP by reducing its partition to create
    another one for Windows 98 (unless you get another drive). No point in
    getting detailed unless that's the route you want to take.

    (E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

    Some old games just will not run or load into XP.. that it ran in Win 98
    means little as 98 was a shell running over DOS.. XP isn't like that.. if it
    is so important to have the game, consider buying an old computer and
    installing Win '95/98 and the game on it.. then use a KVM switch such that
    only one keyboard, monitor and mouse is required..

    "Art Kopp" <Art Kopp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an old game that is DOS based that I used to play on my old Windows
    98
    > computer that I can't figure out how to load on my new Windows XP system.
    It
    > would auto load if I recall then to play I would have to switch over to
    > MS-DOS mode. Now it won't do anything in my new computer.
    >
    > What is the command prompt to load a program?
    >
    > The game was made way back in 1997.

    There's a slight chance that it will work if you tell WinXP to run the game
    under an earlier version of Windows. Look up 'Getting older programs to run
    on Windows XP' in Windows Help and Support. You can only go back as far as
    Windows 95 not DOS, but as your game worked on Win98 there is a chance that
    it will work

    If not, then your only option may be to dual boot. If you want to try this
    then best of luck - you will need better advice than I can give you..

    ;-)

    "Art Kopp" <Art Kopp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an old game that is DOS based that I used to play on my old Windows
    >98
    > computer that I can't figure out how to load on my new Windows XP system.
    > It
    > would auto load if I recall then to play I would have to switch over to
    > MS-DOS mode. Now it won't do anything in my new computer.
    >
    > What is the command prompt to load a program?
    >
    > The game was made way back in 1997.

    If the game had to drop down to DOS to play, it will never work in Windows
    XP. There is no "pure" DOS mode to drop into!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Art Kopp" <Art Kopp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an old game that is DOS based that I used to play on my old Windows
    >98
    > computer that I can't figure out how to load on my new Windows XP system.
    > It
    > would auto load if I recall then to play I would have to switch over to
    > MS-DOS mode. Now it won't do anything in my new computer.
    >
    > What is the command prompt to load a program?
    >
    > The game was made way back in 1997.

    The game is probably trying to directly communicate with the sound card, and
    XP will not allow it. You can try running the game with no sound, that is if
    you can configure the sound options on it. -- Otherwise a dual boot is your
    best alternative.

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > If the game had to drop down to DOS to play, it will never work in Windows
    > XP. There is no "pure" DOS mode to drop into!
    >
    > --
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >
    > "Art Kopp" <Art Kopp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have an old game that is DOS based that I used to play on my old Windows
    > >98
    > > computer that I can't figure out how to load on my new Windows XP system.
    > > It
    > > would auto load if I recall then to play I would have to switch over to
    > > MS-DOS mode. Now it won't do anything in my new computer.
    > >
    > > What is the command prompt to load a program?
    > >
    > > The game was made way back in 1997.

DOS Windows XP