Linksys Wireless Troubles

I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
trouble. Here is my setup:

Room A:
cable modem
Linksys Wireless router WRT45G
Windows 98 PC connected directly into router
XP laptop with built in wireless

Room B (located on the floor above Room A):
XP desktop pc with a linksys wireless G USB adapter

Once I set up the router, I made sure to change the SSID, enabled WEP,
disabled SSID broadcast, and I changed the router's password. The XP
laptop in room A has no problem connecting. But for my XP pc
upstairs, it seems to be 50/50. Sometimes I turn on the computer, and
it connects right up to my network. In this case it will usually stay
up for hours. The signal strength is usually Excellent to Very Good,
ranging from 24Mbps - 54Mbps. Other times I turn the PC on and it
does not see my network at all. It does however, see two other
networks from nearby neighbors. I have no problem connecting to their
networks, but the signal strength is usually poor. During a time that
my pc in room B cannot connect, the laptop in room A has no trouble
connecting, and has an excellent signal strength. I thought it may be
the frequency channel that I was broadcasting on, so I changed it from
6 to 11, but the problem still persists.

I'm confused as to what the problem could be. It doesn't seem to be
the router, since the laptop connects fine. It doesn't seem to be the
physical location, because when I do get to connect, the strength is
great for hours. It doesn't seem to be the USB device, since it can
still find other networks that are located even farther away from my
router downstairs.

Any ideas?? Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about linksys wireless troubles

    Taking a moment's reflection, NickM mused:

    | I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
    | trouble. Here is my setup:

    A couple of things: 1) Can the laptop connect to the router from Room B
    without issue? If so, you can rule out signal interference from the
    construction of the floor.

    2) Are any of the other networks you detect from Room B using the same
    channel as you? If so, this could be causing signal interference and
    confusing your connection.

    3) Does the computer in Room B connect just fine if SSID Broadcast is
    turned on? If so, some cards do not connect consistently with SSID turned
    off. Indeed, Microsoft recommends this be turned on, and will not support
    an issue until it is confirmed to exist with broadcasting enabled.

    Disabling SSID Broadcasting is a highly recommended, but utterly useless
    security measure. Anyone with the ability to crack a WEP key (by
    capturing/sniffing enough of your wireless traffic) also has the ability to
    detect your SSID (and MAC address for that matter) from those same packets.
    You may be hiding your network from the casual observer, but they most
    likely cannot hack you anyway; and, you just might be hiding your network
    from your own computers.

    My advice: turn SSID back on, use a strong WEP key (or better still use
    WPA if available), and change your WEP key weekly--if not more often.

    "NickM" <hoox3@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
    > trouble. Here is my setup:
    >
    > Room A:
    > cable modem
    > Linksys Wireless router WRT45G
    > Windows 98 PC connected directly into router
    > XP laptop with built in wireless
    >
    > Room B (located on the floor above Room A):
    > XP desktop pc with a linksys wireless G USB adapter
    >
    > Once I set up the router, I made sure to change the SSID, enabled WEP,
    > disabled SSID broadcast, and I changed the router's password. The XP
    > laptop in room A has no problem connecting. But for my XP pc
    > upstairs, it seems to be 50/50. Sometimes I turn on the computer, and
    > it connects right up to my network. In this case it will usually stay
    > up for hours. The signal strength is usually Excellent to Very Good,
    > ranging from 24Mbps - 54Mbps. Other times I turn the PC on and it
    > does not see my network at all. It does however, see two other
    > networks from nearby neighbors. I have no problem connecting to their
    > networks, but the signal strength is usually poor. During a time that
    > my pc in room B cannot connect, the laptop in room A has no trouble
    > connecting, and has an excellent signal strength. I thought it may be
    > the frequency channel that I was broadcasting on, so I changed it from
    > 6 to 11, but the problem still persists.
    >
    > I'm confused as to what the problem could be. It doesn't seem to be
    > the router, since the laptop connects fine. It doesn't seem to be the
    > physical location, because when I do get to connect, the strength is
    > great for hours. It doesn't seem to be the USB device, since it can
    > still find other networks that are located even farther away from my
    > router downstairs.
    >
    > Any ideas?? Thanks

    Try taking your neighbors' SSIDs out of your Preferred Networks list.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    On 5 Aug 2004 08:31:37 -0700, hoox3@aol.com (NickM) wrote:

    >I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
    >trouble. Here is my setup:
    >
    >Room A:
    >cable modem
    >Linksys Wireless router WRT45G
    >Windows 98 PC connected directly into router
    >XP laptop with built in wireless
    >
    >Room B (located on the floor above Room A):
    >XP desktop pc with a linksys wireless G USB adapter
    >
    >Once I set up the router, I made sure to change the SSID, enabled WEP,
    >disabled SSID broadcast, and I changed the router's password. The XP
    >laptop in room A has no problem connecting. But for my XP pc
    >upstairs, it seems to be 50/50. Sometimes I turn on the computer, and
    >it connects right up to my network. In this case it will usually stay
    >up for hours. The signal strength is usually Excellent to Very Good,
    >ranging from 24Mbps - 54Mbps. Other times I turn the PC on and it
    >does not see my network at all. It does however, see two other
    >networks from nearby neighbors. I have no problem connecting to their
    >networks, but the signal strength is usually poor. During a time that
    >my pc in room B cannot connect, the laptop in room A has no trouble
    >connecting, and has an excellent signal strength. I thought it may be
    >the frequency channel that I was broadcasting on, so I changed it from
    >6 to 11, but the problem still persists.
    >
    >I'm confused as to what the problem could be. It doesn't seem to be
    >the router, since the laptop connects fine. It doesn't seem to be the
    >physical location, because when I do get to connect, the strength is
    >great for hours. It doesn't seem to be the USB device, since it can
    >still find other networks that are located even farther away from my
    >router downstairs.
    >
    >Any ideas?? Thanks

    I can't add anything of vast insight, but I will say that my laptop is
    markedly better than the desktop at detecting and networks and
    maintaining a decent signal strength to them.

    Also, perhaps one unit is having more difficulty detecting the
    "hidden" network. Why have you disabled SSID? If anyone actually
    wants to bust into your network they'll have the kit to detect it
    anyway. Most likely all you are doing is hiding it from people who
    could actually do with knowing it's there. For example, how do you
    know that there is not someone nearby on ch 6 and /or 11 whose signal
    is interfering with yours and causing the problems but has SSID
    disabled? You don't, and if there was they wouldn't know you're there
    so neither of you would know to do something about it.

    Have you tried turning it back on and does it affect your ability to
    connect?

    NickM <hoox3@aol.com> wrote:
    > I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
    > trouble. Here is my setup:

    > Room A:
    > cable modem
    > Linksys Wireless router WRT45G
    > Windows 98 PC connected directly into router
    > XP laptop with built in wireless

    > Room B (located on the floor above Room A):
    > XP desktop pc with a linksys wireless G USB adapter

    Ron suggests taking the other SSID out of your preferred lists. That would
    be good.

    Also, be aware that the signal from the router antennas is shaped like a
    doughnut dropped onto the antenna. You might want one vertical and the
    other horizontal, so that the good part of the doughnut on one antenna is
    pointed upstairs.

    ---

    Taking a moment's reflection, dold@LinksysXWi.usenet.us.com mused:

    | Also, be aware that the signal from the router antennas is shaped like a
    | doughnut dropped onto the antenna. You might want one vertical and the
    | other horizontal, so that the good part of the doughnut on one antenna is
    | pointed upstairs.

    Excellent idea!!

    Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll try all of your suggestions this
    weekend.

    One other quick question: On the XP machine with the wireless USB
    adapter, should I be using XP's built in wireless tools or should I
    install the linksys software?

    I disabled SSID broadcasting and my notebook connected 50/50 plus when it
    did connect it would loose the SSID from time to time. So I enabled SSID
    and it connects every time plus it does not loose the connection.
    My advise is to enable the SSID and see if it helps. Don't worry about your
    system being broken into provided you enable WEP or even better WPA.

    "NickM" <hoox3@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
    > trouble. Here is my setup:
    >
    > Room A:
    > cable modem
    > Linksys Wireless router WRT45G
    > Windows 98 PC connected directly into router
    > XP laptop with built in wireless
    >
    > Room B (located on the floor above Room A):
    > XP desktop pc with a linksys wireless G USB adapter
    >
    > Once I set up the router, I made sure to change the SSID, enabled WEP,
    > disabled SSID broadcast, and I changed the router's password. The XP
    > laptop in room A has no problem connecting. But for my XP pc
    > upstairs, it seems to be 50/50. Sometimes I turn on the computer, and
    > it connects right up to my network. In this case it will usually stay
    > up for hours. The signal strength is usually Excellent to Very Good,
    > ranging from 24Mbps - 54Mbps. Other times I turn the PC on and it
    > does not see my network at all. It does however, see two other
    > networks from nearby neighbors. I have no problem connecting to their
    > networks, but the signal strength is usually poor. During a time that
    > my pc in room B cannot connect, the laptop in room A has no trouble
    > connecting, and has an excellent signal strength. I thought it may be
    > the frequency channel that I was broadcasting on, so I changed it from
    > 6 to 11, but the problem still persists.
    >
    > I'm confused as to what the problem could be. It doesn't seem to be
    > the router, since the laptop connects fine. It doesn't seem to be the
    > physical location, because when I do get to connect, the strength is
    > great for hours. It doesn't seem to be the USB device, since it can
    > still find other networks that are located even farther away from my
    > router downstairs.
    >
    > Any ideas?? Thanks

    Hi,
    I am also using a Windows XP desktop with the Linksys WUSB54G.
    Just follow the instructions when you plug in the USB adapter for the first
    time. The system works fine if you only install the driver from the CD-ROM.
    The Linksys management software is not necessary for a proper operation.

    I installed the Linksys WLAN monitor a few days afterwards to check settings
    etc.

    /rob

    NickM wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll try all of your suggestions this
    > weekend.
    >
    > One other quick question: On the XP machine with the wireless USB
    > adapter, should I be using XP's built in wireless tools or should I
    > install the linksys software?

    Nick,

    Just installed my WUSB54G at a desktop machine and its works well.
    It doesn't really matter if you use the GUI or not.
    I uded it, for the first config, but finally ended up with the WinXp
    Wireless Network Properties setting.

    Markwin

Wireless Linksys Wireless Networking