Linksys Wireless Troubles

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 5, 2004 12:31:37 PM

I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
trouble. Here is my setup:

Room A:
cable modem
Linksys Wireless router WRT45G
Windows 98 PC connected directly into router
XP laptop with built in wireless

Room B (located on the floor above Room A):
XP desktop pc with a linksys wireless G USB adapter

Once I set up the router, I made sure to change the SSID, enabled WEP,
disabled SSID broadcast, and I changed the router's password. The XP
laptop in room A has no problem connecting. But for my XP pc
upstairs, it seems to be 50/50. Sometimes I turn on the computer, and
it connects right up to my network. In this case it will usually stay
up for hours. The signal strength is usually Excellent to Very Good,
ranging from 24Mbps - 54Mbps. Other times I turn the PC on and it
does not see my network at all. It does however, see two other
networks from nearby neighbors. I have no problem connecting to their
networks, but the signal strength is usually poor. During a time that
my pc in room B cannot connect, the laptop in room A has no trouble
connecting, and has an excellent signal strength. I thought it may be
the frequency channel that I was broadcasting on, so I changed it from
6 to 11, but the problem still persists.

I'm confused as to what the problem could be. It doesn't seem to be
the router, since the laptop connects fine. It doesn't seem to be the
physical location, because when I do get to connect, the strength is
great for hours. It doesn't seem to be the USB device, since it can
still find other networks that are located even farther away from my
router downstairs.

Any ideas?? Thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 8:29:54 PM

Taking a moment's reflection, NickM mused:

| I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
| trouble. Here is my setup:

A couple of things: 1) Can the laptop connect to the router from Room B
without issue? If so, you can rule out signal interference from the
construction of the floor.

2) Are any of the other networks you detect from Room B using the same
channel as you? If so, this could be causing signal interference and
confusing your connection.

3) Does the computer in Room B connect just fine if SSID Broadcast is
turned on? If so, some cards do not connect consistently with SSID turned
off. Indeed, Microsoft recommends this be turned on, and will not support
an issue until it is confirmed to exist with broadcasting enabled.

Disabling SSID Broadcasting is a highly recommended, but utterly useless
security measure. Anyone with the ability to crack a WEP key (by
capturing/sniffing enough of your wireless traffic) also has the ability to
detect your SSID (and MAC address for that matter) from those same packets.
You may be hiding your network from the casual observer, but they most
likely cannot hack you anyway; and, you just might be hiding your network
from your own computers.

My advice: turn SSID back on, use a strong WEP key (or better still use
WPA if available), and change your WEP key weekly--if not more often.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 8:49:02 PM

"NickM" <hoox3@aol.com> wrote in message
> I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
> trouble. Here is my setup:
>
> Room A:
> cable modem
> Linksys Wireless router WRT45G
> Windows 98 PC connected directly into router
> XP laptop with built in wireless
>
> Room B (located on the floor above Room A):
> XP desktop pc with a linksys wireless G USB adapter
>
> Once I set up the router, I made sure to change the SSID, enabled WEP,
> disabled SSID broadcast, and I changed the router's password. The XP
> laptop in room A has no problem connecting. But for my XP pc
> upstairs, it seems to be 50/50. Sometimes I turn on the computer, and
> it connects right up to my network. In this case it will usually stay
> up for hours. The signal strength is usually Excellent to Very Good,
> ranging from 24Mbps - 54Mbps. Other times I turn the PC on and it
> does not see my network at all. It does however, see two other
> networks from nearby neighbors. I have no problem connecting to their
> networks, but the signal strength is usually poor. During a time that
> my pc in room B cannot connect, the laptop in room A has no trouble
> connecting, and has an excellent signal strength. I thought it may be
> the frequency channel that I was broadcasting on, so I changed it from
> 6 to 11, but the problem still persists.
>
> I'm confused as to what the problem could be. It doesn't seem to be
> the router, since the laptop connects fine. It doesn't seem to be the
> physical location, because when I do get to connect, the strength is
> great for hours. It doesn't seem to be the USB device, since it can
> still find other networks that are located even farther away from my
> router downstairs.
>
> Any ideas?? Thanks

Try taking your neighbors' SSIDs out of your Preferred Networks list.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 9:13:23 PM

On 5 Aug 2004 08:31:37 -0700, hoox3@aol.com (NickM) wrote:

>I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
>trouble. Here is my setup:
>
>Room A:
>cable modem
>Linksys Wireless router WRT45G
>Windows 98 PC connected directly into router
>XP laptop with built in wireless
>
>Room B (located on the floor above Room A):
>XP desktop pc with a linksys wireless G USB adapter
>
>Once I set up the router, I made sure to change the SSID, enabled WEP,
>disabled SSID broadcast, and I changed the router's password. The XP
>laptop in room A has no problem connecting. But for my XP pc
>upstairs, it seems to be 50/50. Sometimes I turn on the computer, and
>it connects right up to my network. In this case it will usually stay
>up for hours. The signal strength is usually Excellent to Very Good,
>ranging from 24Mbps - 54Mbps. Other times I turn the PC on and it
>does not see my network at all. It does however, see two other
>networks from nearby neighbors. I have no problem connecting to their
>networks, but the signal strength is usually poor. During a time that
>my pc in room B cannot connect, the laptop in room A has no trouble
>connecting, and has an excellent signal strength. I thought it may be
>the frequency channel that I was broadcasting on, so I changed it from
>6 to 11, but the problem still persists.
>
>I'm confused as to what the problem could be. It doesn't seem to be
>the router, since the laptop connects fine. It doesn't seem to be the
>physical location, because when I do get to connect, the strength is
>great for hours. It doesn't seem to be the USB device, since it can
>still find other networks that are located even farther away from my
>router downstairs.
>
>Any ideas?? Thanks

I can't add anything of vast insight, but I will say that my laptop is
markedly better than the desktop at detecting and networks and
maintaining a decent signal strength to them.

Also, perhaps one unit is having more difficulty detecting the
"hidden" network. Why have you disabled SSID? If anyone actually
wants to bust into your network they'll have the kit to detect it
anyway. Most likely all you are doing is hiding it from people who
could actually do with knowing it's there. For example, how do you
know that there is not someone nearby on ch 6 and /or 11 whose signal
is interfering with yours and causing the problems but has SSID
disabled? You don't, and if there was they wouldn't know you're there
so neither of you would know to do something about it.

Have you tried turning it back on and does it affect your ability to
connect?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 9:27:03 PM

NickM <hoox3@aol.com> wrote:
> I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
> trouble. Here is my setup:

> Room A:
> cable modem
> Linksys Wireless router WRT45G
> Windows 98 PC connected directly into router
> XP laptop with built in wireless

> Room B (located on the floor above Room A):
> XP desktop pc with a linksys wireless G USB adapter

Ron suggests taking the other SSID out of your preferred lists. That would
be good.

Also, be aware that the signal from the router antennas is shaped like a
doughnut dropped onto the antenna. You might want one vertical and the
other horizontal, so that the good part of the doughnut on one antenna is
pointed upstairs.

---
a b F Wireless
August 6, 2004 6:05:49 AM

Taking a moment's reflection, dold@LinksysXWi.usenet.us.com mused:

| Also, be aware that the signal from the router antennas is shaped like a
| doughnut dropped onto the antenna. You might want one vertical and the
| other horizontal, so that the good part of the doughnut on one antenna is
| pointed upstairs.

Excellent idea!!
August 6, 2004 11:53:20 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll try all of your suggestions this
weekend.

One other quick question: On the XP machine with the wireless USB
adapter, should I be using XP's built in wireless tools or should I
install the linksys software?
August 6, 2004 11:13:25 PM

I disabled SSID broadcasting and my notebook connected 50/50 plus when it
did connect it would loose the SSID from time to time. So I enabled SSID
and it connects every time plus it does not loose the connection.
My advise is to enable the SSID and see if it helps. Don't worry about your
system being broken into provided you enable WEP or even better WPA.

"NickM" <hoox3@aol.com> wrote in message
> I recently decided to go wireless in my home, and I have run into some
> trouble. Here is my setup:
>
> Room A:
> cable modem
> Linksys Wireless router WRT45G
> Windows 98 PC connected directly into router
> XP laptop with built in wireless
>
> Room B (located on the floor above Room A):
> XP desktop pc with a linksys wireless G USB adapter
>
> Once I set up the router, I made sure to change the SSID, enabled WEP,
> disabled SSID broadcast, and I changed the router's password. The XP
> laptop in room A has no problem connecting. But for my XP pc
> upstairs, it seems to be 50/50. Sometimes I turn on the computer, and
> it connects right up to my network. In this case it will usually stay
> up for hours. The signal strength is usually Excellent to Very Good,
> ranging from 24Mbps - 54Mbps. Other times I turn the PC on and it
> does not see my network at all. It does however, see two other
> networks from nearby neighbors. I have no problem connecting to their
> networks, but the signal strength is usually poor. During a time that
> my pc in room B cannot connect, the laptop in room A has no trouble
> connecting, and has an excellent signal strength. I thought it may be
> the frequency channel that I was broadcasting on, so I changed it from
> 6 to 11, but the problem still persists.
>
> I'm confused as to what the problem could be. It doesn't seem to be
> the router, since the laptop connects fine. It doesn't seem to be the
> physical location, because when I do get to connect, the strength is
> great for hours. It doesn't seem to be the USB device, since it can
> still find other networks that are located even farther away from my
> router downstairs.
>
> Any ideas?? Thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 6, 2004 11:43:49 PM

Hi,
I am also using a Windows XP desktop with the Linksys WUSB54G.
Just follow the instructions when you plug in the USB adapter for the first
time. The system works fine if you only install the driver from the CD-ROM.
The Linksys management software is not necessary for a proper operation.

I installed the Linksys WLAN monitor a few days afterwards to check settings
etc.

/rob

> Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll try all of your suggestions this
> weekend.
>
> One other quick question: On the XP machine with the wireless USB
> adapter, should I be using XP's built in wireless tools or should I
> install the linksys software?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 7, 2004 4:52:20 AM

NickM wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll try all of your suggestions this
> weekend.
>
> One other quick question: On the XP machine with the wireless USB
> adapter, should I be using XP's built in wireless tools or should I
> install the linksys software?

Nick,

Just installed my WUSB54G at a desktop machine and its works well.
It doesn't really matter if you use the GUI or not.
I uded it, for the first config, but finally ended up with the WinXp
Wireless Network Properties setting.

Markwin
!