Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon card crashing?

Last response: in Windows 7
August 17, 2010 7:13:11 AM

Tonight I was playing Fallout 3, and suddenly the game freezes, BSOD, then restarts. Right after the title screen for windows, BSOD again, and will only start in safe mode. I had not done anything before that, no drivers or updates to the video card. I had just reinstalled the game and the microsoft games live software because you have to, but had played it for several days with no problem.

The problem I have now is that I can't use the computer normally. I can enter safe mode, disable or uninstall the display driver and get into normal mode, but then windows reinstalls the driver and restarts the computer. Problem starts over. I'm almost 100% sure that it is the display driver because I'm getting strange patterns of off-pixels, and they are different on the different boot screens.

Installing/uninstalling CCC does not work in safe mode. I tried it with the display driver disabled in normal mode but it did not seem to work.

Sorry for the wordiness, it's late, and I'm tired. Please help.

August 17, 2010 7:29:18 AM

Can you list your pc specs?
Has this happened with any other game?
m
l
August 17, 2010 8:39:22 AM

Rather than letting windows 7 install its "generic" driver. Install the latest driver from ati is your best bet.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 17, 2010 9:23:47 AM

the Win7 generic is the worst for a ATI system, download CCCleaner and remove all the ATI drivers you got, then reinstall Catalyst 10.7, or 7a, or 7b they seem to be the best
m
l
August 17, 2010 3:55:57 PM

So after spending more time this morning I'm still stuck. I've downloaded and installed the latest ati driver (although it doesn't install ccc also, which is weird.) I've checked in the device manager and it is definitely the ati version of the driver, not windows. However, the problem is still there. I can run the computer in normal mode only with the display adapter driver disabled. If it is enabled, I can't get past the start-up screen.

I still think it is somehow a driver/software issue, but I'm starting to fear that it is a video card issue. I'm using the VGA port with an LCD monitor.

If it helps here's the stats:
Phenom II X2 550
Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P MB
HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB
4 GB RAM
Windows 7 Home 64-bit
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 17, 2010 4:22:47 PM

did you run CCCleaner first( no it has nothing to do with Catalyst Control Center, but it removes all traces of you old drivers), very important step:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
m
l
August 17, 2010 4:27:28 PM

After uninstalling, I ran the registry cleaner in CCleaner, but not the full thing.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 17, 2010 4:48:32 PM

any driver problems, no matter what device, you got to get rid of everything it has, then install 10.7,a, b,and give it a go
m
l
August 17, 2010 5:30:18 PM

Okay, tried that. Still messed up.

I don't understand why the computer will run in normal mode with the display driver disabled, but crash with it enabled. Especially because it did not result from me updating or doing anything directly to the driver.
m
l
August 18, 2010 2:40:35 AM

Anybody have any ideas? I'm really stuck.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2010 3:18:59 AM

if finding the conflict is what you want, download bluescreenviwer, find your minidump files and look at them,and usually the defaut Win drivers are the worst(except in your case it seems) but who really knows what goes on the computers mind
m
l
August 18, 2010 4:19:10 AM

I've had a similar issue, at least with drivers not installing CCC. I tried a bunch of stuff including wiping drivers and physically uninstalling my cards and reinstalling them, installing the original dirver cds, then updating. I'd try that if you haven't already, and then revert to previous drivers. For some reason, 10.5 seems to be the sweet spot for me and I'm hesitant to update them at this point because it was a real PITA to get my cards to work right. I may have to check out 10.7 tho. Have you tried a different gpu? If one's available give that a shot just to see if the bsods will stop.
m
l
August 18, 2010 10:06:32 AM

Dude, follow number13's advice - he helped me out with a similar issue. BUT, to install Catalyst 10.7 make sure you completely remove 10.4 first otherwise the install fails and doesn't solve the issue.

number13 said:
the Win7 generic is the worst for a ATI system, download CCCleaner and remove all the ATI drivers you got, then reinstall Catalyst 10.7, or 7a, or 7b they seem to be the best

m
l
August 18, 2010 12:34:49 PM

When current video drivers are snafu, uninstall, I use Your Uninstaller [tm], it's the best,shut system down,restart clean up the mess,THEN,, go back to a previous working driver,remember Nvidia's 18XX drivers were pants...:) 
m
l
August 18, 2010 7:06:25 PM

Thanks for the reponses. I don't have a spare video card to try, but I'm going to see if I can get one from a friend.

I ran the Bluescreen View and got that all my dumps have dxgkrnl.sys as the problem. I think we're on to something.

Now how do I fix this?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 19, 2010 12:49:38 PM

Do the add/remove thing for CC install manager like everyone suggested
Then download and install DriverSweeper
Run DriverSweeper in safemode
Check off ATI
Click purge i'm certain you'll see lots of leftover files
Then restart normal
Download lastest CCC
Another thing to try if you still have issues is to reset/clear your CMOS as a last resort if problems persist
this method has worked for me countless times over the years
Always do a DriverSweeper following your ADD/REMOVE when changing CCC versions
m
l
August 19, 2010 4:04:01 PM

Thanks Davcon, but that didn't work either. Another crash caused by dxgkrnl.sys. I've been all over the internet trying to figure this out, and nobody seems to have a fix. There's no way to directly add/remove/update dxgkrnl.sys.

Hopefully today I can check to see if the actual card is functional. Otherwise it seems like reinstall of Windows is only option. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the help so far.
m
l
August 20, 2010 12:51:41 AM

I tried a different card in my computer today and there are no problems that I can see. So...I'm thinking that the card itself is cooked. Going to call HIS tomorrow and see if I can return it. Thanks for the help everyone.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 20, 2010 3:17:28 AM

millsware said:
Thanks Davcon, but that didn't work either. Another crash caused by dxgkrnl.sys. I've been all over the internet trying to figure this out, and nobody seems to have a fix. There's no way to directly add/remove/update dxgkrnl.sys.

Hopefully today I can check to see if the actual card is functional. Otherwise it seems like reinstall of Windows is only option. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the help so far.

Try this and see if it helps.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
m
l
!