I thought PlayStation 3 was region free??!

good_man

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
about a month ago I bought a PS3 with Motor Storm game.
When I bought it I knew it was region 3 console and as I was told it should play games from other regions, right ??! WRONG
Just today I got some NTSC PSone games and some DVDs marked region 1, and guess what happened when I tried to play them... :(

"This disc can not be played duo to regional restrictions."

I'm really disappointed now :cry:
I wish there is something I can do to play them besides buying a new PS3 console.

good_man

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Thanks for all of you who didn't reply.

I sold my Playstation3 console and will buy a new region 1 console after 3 months when all the hot games are released.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks for all of you who didn't reply.

You're welcome.
If there was sarcasm in your remark, you should assume instead that we didn't know the answer to your question, hence we didn't reply.
Also, the console forum on Tom's isn't read by many.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
You're welcome.
If there was sarcasm in your remark

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The audience around these forums tend to be PC oriented which is not that surprising given the context of TG and the topics discussed on TwitchGuru, although consoles (more specifically console games) are occasionally covered. If you'd like to see more coverage on console related topics write a PM to RobWright (that's his forum handle) and ask him about it.

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
PS3 games are Region free, PSOne, PS2, DVD, BlueRay all have region protection that is enabled. I'm sure that if you still had your PS3 you could have played games from different countries on it, e.g. NTSC/J on an american or NTSC/U console. Since I've got a Region 3 or HK one and I can play american games I'm pretty sure that the problem is that you didnt really research it properly

meanonsunday

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
The PS3 and all games for it ARE region-free. I don't know why you would assume that this would somehow bypass the region protection on PS1 and PS2 games though, especially since many new PS2 games are still being released.