mattp

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
I've just got hold of an Asus A7A266 motherboard, and i've got the following spec built onto it:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Cooler Master Fan
256Mb DDR-SDRAM PC2100 (Crucial Technology)
Abit Siluro GeForce4 MX420 64Mb
Western Digital Protege 40Gb
Creative PCI 128 sound card
Generic ATX case, 300w power supply

I'm having great difficulty in getting the system to work. It powers up, the hard drive spins and it lights up, but there is nothing appearing on the monitor. It has been tried with a different graphics card with the same result. At a guess, i think it may have to do with the jumper settings on the motherboard. Is there a particular configuration needed for the Athlon XP processor? I've checked the manual and it's not much help. I'm pretty new to this area and it's really confusing!
Thanks

rabbitskunk

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
Which version of motherboard do you own. The early version had 4 dipswitches the later had 10. The 4 dipswitch version had a lot of problems. I ordered the 4 dipswitch version and could never get it to work. I sent it back and got the ten dipswitch version which i believe is rev 1.04 so check that first. Bad news if the 4 dipswitch version is the one you have. Some other things to check if you have the 10 dipswitch board. Make sure all cables plugged in correctly. Sometimes if floppy cable plugged in wrong no
picture. This motherboard features a jumpless mode which you set by the jen jumper. The manuel tells you how to set the jumper. Make sure pw switch is oriented correctly on board i had to turn mine upside down with the print side down. I think the early bios for this board did not read the xp processor so make sure that you have a version of the bios that it is at least 1011. I am no expert but these have been my experience with this board which by the way has been a good board since i got the 10 dipswitch version. Good luck.