Specify folder access

How will i specify folder access rights in Windows XP ?
I have not partitioned my drive as NTFS.

I want that thru the administrator account, I should be able 2 restrict a
user from accessing a folder on drive F:
1 answer Last reply
More about specify folder access

    You cannot password protect individual folders in XP. You restrict access by assigning permissions to drives, folders and files.

    To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command:

    CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS

    Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal conversion.

    After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:

    XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

    XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

    How Do I Get the Security Tab in Properties - XP Home (makes the Security tab appear outside of Safe Mode)
    http://www.dougknox.com, Win XP Tips section

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

    HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Manu" <Manu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:675213A6-7D71-4D94-9182-820D9E2A0821@microsoft.com...
    > How will i specify folder access rights in Windows XP ?
    > I have not partitioned my drive as NTFS.
    >
    > I want that thru the administrator account, I should be able 2 restrict a
    > user from accessing a folder on drive F:

Microsoft Windows XP