Closed

Games on a thumbdrive?

Tags:
  • Games
  • USB Drive
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 4, 2007 8:27:18 PM

snakes on a plane? no, games on a thumb drive.

at my work, the internet is fully blocked except for a few sites. weather and transport sites and such. nothing to keep me entertained on those 12 hour night shifts. i'm wondering if i could install firefox and a few games on a thumb drive and have it work on the old windows 2000 PC they have there. anyone know if it can be done? in answering this you could make a security guard very happy!

More about : games thumbdrive

July 5, 2007 2:04:42 AM

oh come on, no one? i call bullshizninny!
July 5, 2007 7:33:29 AM

Why don't you find an old console emulator?

If I remember correctly there's tons of NES, Sega, SNES, N64, MAME emulators out there. 1000's of great games, all the way back to Atari 2600. They hardly take up any space.

now - don't ask me about legality. I don't know exactly where each emulator stands right now. That you'll have to figure out on your own.
Related resources
July 6, 2007 5:17:42 AM

Yes, an emulator is one of the things I'd put on it, but I'm wondering if it will work. I think a basic .exe would work just fine, but a program like Mozilla or maybe one of these emulators may want to install itself. I'm wondering about the kind of programs that can be run right off the thumb drive and not intrude on the host PC's OS.
July 6, 2007 10:34:09 PM

You are looking for games that do not need to write to the registry.

In general, any game that uses Direct X is out.

We're talking mostly about indy games, doshinshi games.
July 7, 2007 9:54:53 PM

right.. but the real question is.. has anyone done this before with success? if so, tell me how.
July 11, 2007 2:49:48 AM

Look for the thread on TH called "Fun with flash drives"; it's about a month old.

I've tried looking for it myself (via search function it comes up at June 11 2007). I tried the link but it didn't work because these forums are all screwed up now.
July 12, 2007 2:06:53 AM

dude, honestly... with a little will, there's a ton of games you could prolly install on your thumb drive... I know that you could get diablo 1 to run on one... with a no cd hack. and like the other guy above me said, emulators for consoles. That could be several hundred hours of fun, specially if you have a usb controller that doesn't require installed drivers. yes, firefox does have a portable... there IS a website for all of that stuff, but i forget what it is, and is for supported apps only i believe. ummm... any flash games, you could prolly save the web page or just the flash location to your drive and see if that works... If you have a big enough flash drive, you could prolly install linux, and run a full version of ubuntu off it at work... ( wouldn't recommend this if there are any security systems dependent on the pc you're using... of if you think you'll get busted if it'd be difficult to get on the network ) but other than that, just plug your drive in, and install stuff to your flash and see if it works :-p

oh yeah, you could prolly pop some movies on it too... that's simple and makes for hours of entertainment... maybe e-books?
July 12, 2007 2:28:30 AM

oh yeah "fun with flash drives" was one of my posts. :-p
July 12, 2007 1:23:10 PM

I heard of someone who has a bunch of the Street Fighter 2 emulated games on a USB stick that uses a certain program to run each game
July 12, 2007 8:12:37 PM

Fantastic! thanks guys :) 
July 12, 2007 9:01:11 PM

I have jnes.exe on my jumpdrive along with about 300MB of nintendo games...zsnes.exe is a good one for super nintendo too...lots of flash games there that, on the outside, appear to be word docs or excel ss and they have a fairly small footprint...hope that helps
July 13, 2007 2:10:50 PM

Games I can confirm to run without being "installed," aka drag the install folder to a drive:

Anarchy Online
Call of Duty 2
Deus Ex 1
Doom 3
Empire Earth 2
Far Cry
GTA 3
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
Halo
Just Cause
Manhunt
Painkiller
Prey
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3
Quake 4
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
STALKER
Starcraft
Supreme Commander
The Suffering
Unreal
Unreal 2
Unreal Tournament (not 2004)

Anyways, those are games I still have install folders for from previous Windows installations. They run just fine for me. I keep them in a folder called "\no install needed."

Some games I know don't work without registry information:
AvP 2
any Command & Conquer game
Riddick
Earth 2160
Unreal Tournament 2004

The ones that will work will often need no-CD cracks to run without the disc. Assuming you have a big enough drive (or an external hard drive) to store the game installs on, yes, many games can run without technically being installed. Good luck!
July 16, 2007 11:46:30 AM

Civilisation 2 also ran without needing to update the registry. I got it working on the university machines before I bought my own PC. IIRC The music was all played off the CD though.
July 28, 2007 8:02:53 PM

Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 work as well.
Anonymous
November 23, 2008 5:47:25 PM

I used a 2GB thumdrive and put Halo 1 on it, all u hav to do is change the installation location to your Thumb drive
March 20, 2009 4:57:43 PM

Yes you can.Just go to google and type in firefox portable and click the first website on the list,on the right somewhere there will be a link that says "download now",click it and and then save to whatever drive your thumb drive is in.Then go to your thumb drive page and install it.And thats all
March 20, 2009 6:40:14 PM

archon said:
Yes, an emulator is one of the things I'd put on it, but I'm wondering if it will work. I think a basic .exe would work just fine, but a program like Mozilla or maybe one of these emulators may want to install itself. I'm wondering about the kind of programs that can be run right off the thumb drive and not intrude on the host PC's OS.

I actually did that for at my previous work site (no I didn't get fired for it, they just had the computers on lock down). I wanted to play some Zelda from one of the N64 emulators but didn't want to install anything onto my work computer. I put it all on the USB drive and it worked just fine.
March 25, 2009 1:20:56 PM

CDisplay and comic books :) 

Ultimate Xmen is really good!
March 4, 2010 12:41:41 AM

any new additions? had to resurrect this one. looking for stuff to load my thumb drive with to play at work? :) 
March 4, 2010 12:45:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!