XP = Ex-Productivity

Please forgive me, but I just have to say this where Microsoft might hear it.
That is ... I HATE WINDOWS XP! I have *never* had so many problems with a new
["out-of-the-box"] OS. I thought XP was supposed to be an improvement for
users. NOT!!!

For some perspective, these feelings come after using computers for almost
30 years and knowing too many [PC & mainframe] operating systems. I cannot
recall any OS as vexing as XP. (And from reading through these newsgroups, it
appears I am far from alone.) Microsoft should be tarred and feathered for
releasing what they consider a "final [polished?] product." Jeesh, even DOS
was less problematic and easier to use.

XP = Ex-Productivity. That has been my experience. XP has cost me more time
and frustration than *all* other OSs combined. Please forgive the
interruption, but I just had to get some of this frustration off my chest.

Mike

Splendid

Perhaps if you were to share some of your problems with us, we may be able
to rectify them.. I, like you, have many years experience with other
operating systems.. one has to remember that there are many more people
trying to undermine MS than ever the was way back when..

"ZenWarrior" <ZenWarrior@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please forgive me, but I just have to say this where Microsoft might hear
it.
> That is ... I HATE WINDOWS XP! I have *never* had so many problems with a
new
> ["out-of-the-box"] OS. I thought XP was supposed to be an improvement for
> users. NOT!!!
>
> For some perspective, these feelings come after using computers for almost
> 30 years and knowing too many [PC & mainframe] operating systems. I cannot
> recall any OS as vexing as XP. (And from reading through these newsgroups,
it
> appears I am far from alone.) Microsoft should be tarred and feathered for
> releasing what they consider a "final [polished?] product." Jeesh, even
DOS
> was less problematic and easier to use.
>
> XP = Ex-Productivity. That has been my experience. XP has cost me more
time
> and frustration than *all* other OSs combined. Please forgive the
> interruption, but I just had to get some of this frustration off my chest.

"And from reading through these newsgroups, it appears I am far from
alone"
Do you also go to an automobile repair shop, see many damaged
vehicles, and then assume all vehicles are bad?
These newsgroups are here to help with computer issues, so it is
reasonable that most here are related to computer problems.

Since you do not state what problems you have, I can only give general
suggestions.

1. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx
Or
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/default.mspx
Verify your computer meets or exceeds ALL requirements.
#3 Upgrade Advisor can help a lot here.
Barely minimum or incompatible hardware or software is a major cause
of performance issues.
Dissimilar or bad memory is another for Windows XP.
Do not make the mistake of assuming something is good just because it
works on another configuration.

2. http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

3. Clean Installation:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"ZenWarrior" <ZenWarrior@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please forgive me, but I just have to say this where Microsoft might
> hear it.
> That is ... I HATE WINDOWS XP! I have *never* had so many problems
> with a new
> ["out-of-the-box"] OS. I thought XP was supposed to be an
> improvement for
> users. NOT!!!
>
> For some perspective, these feelings come after using computers for
> almost
> 30 years and knowing too many [PC & mainframe] operating systems. I
> cannot
> recall any OS as vexing as XP. (And from reading through these
> newsgroups, it
> appears I am far from alone.) Microsoft should be tarred and
> feathered for
> releasing what they consider a "final [polished?] product." Jeesh,
> even DOS
> was less problematic and easier to use.
>
> XP = Ex-Productivity. That has been my experience. XP has cost me
> more time
> and frustration than *all* other OSs combined. Please forgive the
> interruption, but I just had to get some of this frustration off my
> chest.

papa

I too have been involved with computers for a very long time (since 1970),
and have never experienced any problems installing Windows XP Home Edition
or Windows XP Pro. I've done it at least a couple of dozen times for
computers belonging to friends and relatives, as well as for myself. In each
case before doing the upgrade, I ran the XP compatibility program first in
order to test the existing hardware and drivers. Whenever the computer
indicated serious compatibility problems, the hardware and/or drivers for
the delinquent computer were updated before doing the XP install.

Windows XP is a great operating system, but the hardware must be up-to-snuff
for this much more advanced OS.

What problems did you encounter? Did you run the compatibility program? If
so, what did it report?

"ZenWarrior" <ZenWarrior@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please forgive me, but I just have to say this where Microsoft might hear
it.
> That is ... I HATE WINDOWS XP! I have *never* had so many problems with a
new
> ["out-of-the-box"] OS. I thought XP was supposed to be an improvement for
> users. NOT!!!
>
> For some perspective, these feelings come after using computers for almost
> 30 years and knowing too many [PC & mainframe] operating systems. I cannot
> recall any OS as vexing as XP. (And from reading through these newsgroups,
it
> appears I am far from alone.) Microsoft should be tarred and feathered for
> releasing what they consider a "final [polished?] product." Jeesh, even
DOS
> was less problematic and easier to use.
>
> XP = Ex-Productivity. That has been my experience. XP has cost me more
time
> and frustration than *all* other OSs combined. Please forgive the
> interruption, but I just had to get some of this frustration off my chest.

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 14:55:07 -0600, "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
<jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

>"And from reading through these newsgroups, it appears I am far from
>alone"
>Do you also go to an automobile repair shop, see many damaged
>vehicles, and then assume all vehicles are bad?
>These newsgroups are here to help with computer issues, so it is
>reasonable that most here are related to computer problems.
>
>Since you do not state what problems you have, I can only give general
>suggestions.
>
>1. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx
>Or
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/default.mspx
>Verify your computer meets or exceeds ALL requirements.
>#3 Upgrade Advisor can help a lot here.
>Barely minimum or incompatible hardware or software is a major cause
>of performance issues.
>Dissimilar or bad memory is another for Windows XP.
>Do not make the mistake of assuming something is good just because it
>works on another configuration.
>
>2. http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
>
>3. Clean Installation:
>http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm

I have to partially agree with him. Though I'm brand new to XP, I've had to do
complete OS installs vs repair installs 3 times so far and I've had it less
than a month.

Just this morning had to do a rollback from 2 days ago. Not real sure what
caused today's problems. But XP and AIW 9800 are definitely fighting each other
for control of the machine.

It would seem it just decided on it's own to quit working.
downloaded media player 9 and installed it. [Should have never said ok let
media player associate with it's defaults.] AIW has grabbed everything but
quick time for it's defaults.
That would seem to be the only possible source of trouble. AIW has a TV
scheduler that's a M$ ODBC database. Today it wouldn't even load.
Couldn't reinstall a new version to work. Couldn't uninstall and install again.
Just nothing worked. rollback 2 days ago.
reinstalled media9 and associated NOTHING with it. so far not a problem. That
was 8 hours ago and I've been using the TV guide all day.
Haven't fired up media 9 since the reinstall other than it's original boot
after install so that's still hanging. it may kill something again or not.

I've been collecting user accounts that just won't go away.
ie: admin, all users, all.users.windows,default.user,ken,ken.sheba.000.

Hmm.. admin and about 3 others have disappeared since this morning. the 3
others were something like network.xxx, and admin.windows .
That might have something to do with the rollback. 2 days ago those extra
accounts didn't exist.
then there's the thing where I like to stick everything I pick up into C:\temp.
Then as I get around to it [scan for virus, identify what it is and where it
should go] move it where it should go. C:\Documents and Settings isn't my 1st
choice. But it's XP's only 1st choice because there's registry entries that you
can't even access as administrator. since it also has about 10 different
folders under each one of those accounts above that are pretty much just [semi]
duplicates of each other, but aren't. ie: Desktop. Try and sort by name with
auto arrange on a desktop that has shortcuts from all those different user
accounts.

Which brings up another gripe. Why does it install [what seems to be randomly]
to all these different accounts ?

I've tried to let the OS do it's own thing, but it's own thing seems to be
complete disorder. ie:Adding things to the start>all programs>sections. If you
let the OS do it, you wind up with a list that would reach the moon unchecked.
create sub directories to move stuff to and this XP once again says NO. Only if
you move the same shortcut twice to a sub directory will it finally move the
shortcuts. This is a sometimes thing, but completely annoying. As for the
desktop sorting I've found the shortcuts are assigned to different user
accounts. [I'm the only user on this machine]. I have to go into the
C:\Documents and Settings user accounts and find the screw ups and physically
move them to the right account to get them to sort correctly on the desktop.

XP like other OS, just magnifies the problems. But It would be nice if there
were some sort of roadmap to tell you why XP sends stuff to inactive accounts
and how to prevent it.

I can only imagine the headaches with multiple users on XP.
Lots of other nitpicks that it should have fixed since win98.

But as for his comment XP = Ex-Productivity. I've felt and seen that on every
OS and computer made. It normally takes more time to find or create a program
to do what's needed than you could have done with pencil and paper in half the
time. And if there's a mistake, the machines usually magnify the error to the
Nth degree..

Troll!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"ZenWarrior" <ZenWarrior@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please forgive me, but I just have to say this where Microsoft might hear
> it.
> That is ... I HATE WINDOWS XP! I have *never* had so many problems with a
> new
> ["out-of-the-box"] OS. I thought XP was supposed to be an improvement for
> users. NOT!!!
>
> For some perspective, these feelings come after using computers for almost
> 30 years and knowing too many [PC & mainframe] operating systems. I cannot
> recall any OS as vexing as XP. (And from reading through these newsgroups,
> it
> appears I am far from alone.) Microsoft should be tarred and feathered for
> releasing what they consider a "final [polished?] product." Jeesh, even
> DOS
> was less problematic and easier to use.
>
> XP = Ex-Productivity. That has been my experience. XP has cost me more
> time
> and frustration than *all* other OSs combined. Please forgive the
> interruption, but I just had to get some of this frustration off my chest.

It's amazing just how many people suffer from C.T.K.I.D.S.

If they would take a bit of time reading, they would learn how to use their
operating system!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> move them to the right account to get them to sort correctly on the
> desktop.
>
> XP like other OS, just magnifies the problems. But It would be nice if
> there
> were some sort of roadmap to tell you why XP sends stuff to inactive
> accounts
> and how to prevent it.
>
> I can only imagine the headaches with multiple users on XP.
> Lots of other nitpicks that it should have fixed since win98.
>
> But as for his comment XP = Ex-Productivity. I've felt and seen that on
> every
> OS and computer made. It normally takes more time to find or create a
> program
> to do what's needed than you could have done with pencil and paper in half
> the
> time. And if there's a mistake, the machines usually magnify the error to

Me too ! There is NO state of computing zen w/winxp! No
OS harmony! I coined the name Xtra-Putrid myself, LOL.

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 06:52:24 -0400, "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

Other than trolling, just what does this comment accomplish ?

>It's amazing just how many people suffer from C.T.K.I.D.S.
>
>If they would take a bit of time reading, they would learn how to use their
>operating system!

Greetings --

Do you have any specific problem(s) that you need help with, or
are you just venting?

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"ZenWarrior" <ZenWarrior@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please forgive me, but I just have to say this where Microsoft might
hear it.
> That is ... I HATE WINDOWS XP! I have *never* had so many problems
with a new
> ["out-of-the-box"] OS. I thought XP was supposed to be an
improvement for
> users. NOT!!!
>
> For some perspective, these feelings come after using computers for
almost
> 30 years and knowing too many [PC & mainframe] operating systems. I
cannot
> recall any OS as vexing as XP. (And from reading through these
newsgroups, it
> appears I am far from alone.) Microsoft should be tarred and
feathered for
> releasing what they consider a "final [polished?] product." Jeesh,
even DOS
> was less problematic and easier to use.
>
> XP = Ex-Productivity. That has been my experience. XP has cost me
more time
> and frustration than *all* other OSs combined. Please forgive the
> interruption, but I just had to get some of this frustration off my
chest.

papa

If you don't like it, why are you using it? There are other operating
systems. Or is it that you just can't handle XP? Most people can.

hermes

Papa wrote:

>If you don't like it, why are you using it? There are other operating
>systems. Or is it that you just can't handle XP? Most people can.

How does one generate their own opinion of it if they don't try it out
first?

--
hermes
DRM sux! Treacherous Computing kills our virtual civil liberties!

Windows XP crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams