Dual boot of sorts

My new computer has Windows XP pre-installed by the supplier. I put the hard
drive from my old PC in as a slave to serve as a backup device for important
files and documents.

Some of my old games no longer work in WinXP - the DOS-based games such as
Duke3D, Doom and so on. It would be fun to play them once in a while, so
what's to stop me installing an older OS on my slave drive and using a boot
manager to choose between it and XP?

Has anyone done this, and which boot manager would you recommend? What
dangers do I need to watch out for? I am NON expert and don't want to muck
up my system!

John

My personal choice is Boot It Next Generation, www.bootitng.com. Full featured boot and partition manager, and half the price of Partition Magic.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"John Rampling" <j.rampling@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:R1wRc.268$b17.50@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
> My new computer has Windows XP pre-installed by the supplier. I put the hard
> drive from my old PC in as a slave to serve as a backup device for important
> files and documents.
>
> Some of my old games no longer work in WinXP - the DOS-based games such as
> Duke3D, Doom and so on. It would be fun to play them once in a while, so
> what's to stop me installing an older OS on my slave drive and using a boot
> manager to choose between it and XP?
>
> Has anyone done this, and which boot manager would you recommend? What
> dangers do I need to watch out for? I am NON expert and don't want to muck
> up my system!
>
> John

Byte

Free trial, all you need for possibly a one-time use:
Download BootIt Next Generation 1.62a Free Trial - A partition and multi-boot
http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/4/13-4-5.shtml

"John Rampling" wrote:

> My new computer has Windows XP pre-installed by the supplier. I put the hard
> drive from my old PC in as a slave to serve as a backup device for important
> files and documents.
>
> Some of my old games no longer work in WinXP - the DOS-based games such as
> Duke3D, Doom and so on. It would be fun to play them once in a while, so
> what's to stop me installing an older OS on my slave drive and using a boot
> manager to choose between it and XP?
>
> Has anyone done this, and which boot manager would you recommend? What
> dangers do I need to watch out for? I am NON expert and don't want to muck
> up my system!
>
> John

Thank you Doug and Byte for your suggestions.
Can I take it for granted that if I install (say) Win98 on my D: drive it
will NOT affect the existing install of Win XP on my C: drive? If there's
any chance of this happening I will steer clear of the idea - it's just not
worth it for a few old games!

John