Mandrake Desktop

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
So I have installed Mandrake Linux 10 on a laptop and after all was said and done, I have found that my desktop is bigger then my moniter. In order to move up to the top or down to the bottom where the task bar is I hve to move the cursor around the screen to move the desktop. I want my desktop to be the same size as my monitor. Can this be done? I have been looking in all the places like configure desktop, configure hardware, but I am just not sure where to look or what to do. This is my second day on it and so I am very new to this system. HELP!

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
On 9.2 it's in the Control Center, then Hardware, then Screen Resolution. It looks like it's set larger than your physical display is capable of. It might have changed slightly in 10, but should be similar. Failing that, you can edit /etc/X11/XF86Config (or XF86Config-4 ?) so that it's the right size.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Try cycling through the available resolutions using Ctrl+Alt+(Number Pad +) and Ctrl+Alt+(Number Pad -)

If any of the resolutions fit, change your default one to that in your X configuration file.

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
Well, I am using a conventional monitor, but the computer is origanally a Sony Vaio laptop, but the person who gave it to me didn't want it because he had stepped on the flat screen, thus rendering it usless. Can this make the difference?