Low BF2142 FPS

trumbo091

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
Specs:
Pent 4 3.0ghz
1gb ram
7950 GT BFG

I play bf2142 and online I have to have my settings allll the way on low to get decent fps 30-45, but I can run the game med on offline mode, my question is does it take more ram to run it offline then online?

Also when I look into large open areas I get a 10-20 fps drop, is this ram or my processor causing the slowdown.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
What kind of powersupply do you have? While the Pentium 4 isn't an ideal CPU for gaming, it shouldn't create the kind of results you're getting. I'd say possibly update your drivers, upgrade your videocard, and add another GB of RAM. The 7950GT is more than fast enough to run the game at the maximum quality.

trumbo091

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
I have a 400w Dynex PSU, I updated graphics card drivers, upgrade video card? the 7950 is still pretty high end. I do plan on getting another gig of ram.

I dont know if the lag is created by the ram though, because when I first get into a game its not all that laggy but 5 mintes later it starts to shutter and jump, not like normal lag where its slow the whole time, just sometimes it freeze for like 1 second and come back and Ill be looking in a whole new direction. It shutters like this alot especially when I go into large open areas

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Stuttering is 99.9% of the time caused by the lack of memory. I have 2GB’s of memory and my graphics card is an ATi X800XT and that is a generation behind your graphics card and I can play BF 2142 perfectly with out stutter. I don’t care what anyone says you must have 2GB’s of memory to play PC games in this day and age and I have a feeling soon that is going to increase to 3GB’s.

G

I would think that running it in offline mode would use a bit more resources as it has to run bots instead of other players.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
It would appear that is not the case, besides have you seen the bots in Battle Field… there hardly going to be CPU intensive. I mean it would seem like a 3 year old could play better than them. I can still remember the first Battle Field, the bots where so bad it was unplayable on single player. They would all jump in a Bomber and as soon as you would start to take off or even as you where in flight they would just jump out and fall to their deaths.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

lol, mustve been funny the first time...