What is the file that a shortcut points to?

How can I find out where a file is located that is pointed to by a
shortcut?. How can I change the name of the file that the shortcut points
to?.

Don J
7 answers Last reply
More about what file shortcut points

    Use Windows Explorer to find the file itself and right click on it and Rename.

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 19:35:56 -0400, Don J wrote:

    > How can I find out where a file is located that is pointed to by a
    > shortcut?. How can I change the name of the file that the shortcut points
    > to?.
    >
    > Don J

    Right click on the shortcut and select properties. In the properties,
    you'll find a "target" line that contains the path to the file that the
    shortcut is linked to.

    If you want to change what file a shortcut points to, change the target
    line. Or delete the existing shortcut. Then find the file that you want a
    shortcut for. Right click on that file and select Send To > Desktop [as a
    shortcut].

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    You didn't answer my primary question, without which I cannot find the file
    whose name I should change: "How do I find the name of the file pointed to
    by the shortcut?". Also I am unable to change the name of the file.
    Presumably it is pointed to by other links and if I change its name the
    other links won't work.

    Don J

    -----------------------------------

    "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Use Windows Explorer to find the file itself and right click on it and
    Rename.

    > "Don J" wrote:
    >
    > > How can I find out where a file is located that is pointed to by a
    > > shortcut?. How can I change the name of the file that the shortcut
    points
    > > to?.
    > >
    > > Don J

    Thank you very much!

    Don J

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:56:33 -0400, Don J wrote:

    > Thank you very much!
    >
    > Don J

    You're most welcome, Don.

    Take care,
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Yes. Change the file name and all links will break. Go find the links and
    repair them or create new links.

    As for finding information, RIGHT CLICK is a wonderful thing!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Don J" <dej4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > You didn't answer my primary question, without which I cannot find the
    > file
    > whose name I should change: "How do I find the name of the file pointed
    > by the shortcut?". Also I am unable to change the name of the file.
    > Presumably it is pointed to by other links and if I change its name the
    > other links won't work.
    >
    > Don J
    >
    > -----------------------------------

    > This mailbox protected from junk email by MailFrontier Desktop
    > from MailFrontier, Inc. http://info.mailfrontier.com
    >
    > "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Use Windows Explorer to find the file itself and right click on it and
    > Rename.
    >>
    >> "Don J" wrote:
    >>
    >> > How can I find out where a file is located that is pointed to by a
    >> > shortcut?. How can I change the name of the file that the shortcut
    > points
    >> > to?.
    >> >
    >> > Don J

    Have you never right-clicked and explored the options that it gives?..or
    ever surfed the net to see what you can find out?..

    "Don J" <dej4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > You didn't answer my primary question, without which I cannot find the
    file
    > whose name I should change: "How do I find the name of the file pointed
    > by the shortcut?". Also I am unable to change the name of the file.
    > Presumably it is pointed to by other links and if I change its name the
    > other links won't work.
    >
    > Don J
    >
    > -----------------------------------

    > This mailbox protected from junk email by MailFrontier Desktop
    > from MailFrontier, Inc. http://info.mailfrontier.com
    >
    > "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Use Windows Explorer to find the file itself and right click on it and
    > Rename.
    > >
    > > "Don J" wrote:
    > >
    > > > How can I find out where a file is located that is pointed to by a
    > > > shortcut?. How can I change the name of the file that the shortcut
    > points
    > > > to?.
    > > >
    > > > Don J

Microsoft Windows XP