What is the file that a shortcut points to?

August 8, 2004 11:35:56 PM

How can I find out where a file is located that is pointed to by a
shortcut?. How can I change the name of the file that the shortcut points
to?.

Don J

More about : file shortcut points

August 8, 2004 11:35:57 PM

Use Windows Explorer to find the file itself and right click on it and Rename.

"Don J" wrote:

> How can I find out where a file is located that is pointed to by a
> shortcut?. How can I change the name of the file that the shortcut points
> to?.
>
> Don J

Anonymous
August 8, 2004 11:35:57 PM

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 19:35:56 -0400, Don J wrote:

> How can I find out where a file is located that is pointed to by a
> shortcut?. How can I change the name of the file that the shortcut points
> to?.
>
> Don J

Right click on the shortcut and select properties. In the properties,
you'll find a "target" line that contains the path to the file that the
shortcut is linked to.

If you want to change what file a shortcut points to, change the target
line. Or delete the existing shortcut. Then find the file that you want a
shortcut for. Right click on that file and select Send To > Desktop [as a
shortcut].

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

You didn't answer my primary question, without which I cannot find the file
whose name I should change: "How do I find the name of the file pointed to
by the shortcut?". Also I am unable to change the name of the file.
Presumably it is pointed to by other links and if I change its name the
other links won't work.

Don J

-----------------------------------

"Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Use Windows Explorer to find the file itself and right click on it and
Rename.

> "Don J" wrote:
>
> > How can I find out where a file is located that is pointed to by a
> > shortcut?. How can I change the name of the file that the shortcut
points
> > to?.
> >
> > Don J

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 12:56:33 AM

Thank you very much!

Don J

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 19:35:56 -0400, Don J wrote:
>
> > How can I find out where a file is located that is pointed to by a
> > shortcut?. How can I change the name of the file that the shortcut
points
> > to?.
> >
> > Don J
>
> Right click on the shortcut and select properties. In the properties,
> you'll find a "target" line that contains the path to the file that the
> shortcut is linked to.
>
> If you want to change what file a shortcut points to, change the target
> line. Or delete the existing shortcut. Then find the file that you want a
> shortcut for. Right click on that file and select Send To > Desktop [as a
> shortcut].
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 1:40:23 AM

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:56:33 -0400, Don J wrote:

> Thank you very much!
>
> Don J

You're most welcome, Don.

Take care,
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Yes. Change the file name and all links will break. Go find the links and
repair them or create new links.

As for finding information, RIGHT CLICK is a wonderful thing!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Don J" <dej4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You didn't answer my primary question, without which I cannot find the
> file
> whose name I should change: "How do I find the name of the file pointed
> by the shortcut?". Also I am unable to change the name of the file.
> Presumably it is pointed to by other links and if I change its name the
> other links won't work.
>
> Don J
>
> -----------------------------------

> This mailbox protected from junk email by MailFrontier Desktop
> from MailFrontier, Inc. http://info.mailfrontier.com
>
> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Use Windows Explorer to find the file itself and right click on it and
> Rename.
>>
>> "Don J" wrote:
>>
>> > How can I find out where a file is located that is pointed to by a
>> > shortcut?. How can I change the name of the file that the shortcut
> points
>> > to?.
>> >
>> > Don J

August 9, 2004 12:58:06 PM

Have you never right-clicked and explored the options that it gives?..or
ever surfed the net to see what you can find out?..

!