office compatabilty

EVE

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

hi, i have just got a new pc with windows xp, i have a
copy of office that i used on my last pc which had win
98, are they compatable, or do i have to buy a new copy
of ms office?, im hoping not as its darn expensive when
i have already bought the first one.

thanks, eve

"eve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:294701c47dec$d5d868e0$a601280a@phx.gbl:
> hi, i have just got a new pc with windows xp, i have a
> copy of office that i used on my last pc which had win
> 98, are they compatable, or do i have to buy a new copy
> of ms office?, im hoping not as its darn expensive when
> i have already bought the first one.
>
> thanks, eve

Each product has its own separate version. You never said what version
you have of Microsoft Office. I know users that still use Office 97 on
Windows 2000 so that should still run okay on Windows XP.

If this is for personal use only (i.e., the money comes out of your own
pocket) and you want cheap, OpenOffice is free (openoffice.org). I
haven't tried it yet but I keep looking at it in the event I decide to
drop MS Office.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

i have office 200, will that be ok with my xp?

EVE

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

god, im dense, i have office 2000, (there thats better),
if i try to load it, it wont mess up my pc will it, im a
real pc illiterate...

eve wrote:
> god, im dense, i have office 2000, (there thats better),
> if i try to load it, it wont mess up my pc will it, im a
> real pc illiterate...

Office 2000 runs fine on XP.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP MCE

I also wanted to download Office, will have to confirm
what version first, Any unusual problems that i might run
into with the download??

Midge

Gordon

"Midge" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I also wanted to download Office, will have to confirm
> what version first, Any unusual problems that i might run
> into with the download??
>
> Midge

You can't "download" Office. You can, however, INSTALL it. "Download" is the
term used when you get files from a remote server, usually via the internet.

Download is right, Program is MS Office 2000, Can I assume
it would be easily loaded???

Obviuosly I am not awake yet....INSTALL it...not enough
coffee yet..

> Obviuosly I am not awake yet....INSTALL it...not enough
> coffee yet..

Yep - Office 2000 is fine on XP. The only thing you then must do is to make
sure you install all the service packs and critical updates from the Office
Update site.

Tx Gordon , will give it a go,appreciate the info