Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is the V60s a good buy?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 13, 2004 9:38:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Hey,

I currently use the v60i with AT&T. The antenna has broken off four or
five times and it's been a real nightmare. However, I really like the
v60 style, and I want a phone to make phone calls, and don't like the
color screens and cameras and the like.

So I browsed the Verizon store today...and the only phone I really
liked in there was the V60s. Do people think this is a good buy?

I notice the antenna has been reinforced, so hopefully it won't break
anymore. Also, it seems solid and durable.

Does anyone have any comments about the phone's performance? I've
heard mixed comments about call dropping and battery life…even though
the specs say it's tri-mode and has 196 hours of standby time.

Thanks,
Dave

More about : v60s good buy

Anonymous
May 13, 2004 9:48:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Dave wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I currently use the v60i with AT&T. The antenna has broken off four or
> five times and it's been a real nightmare. However, I really like the
> v60 style, and I want a phone to make phone calls, and don't like the
> color screens and cameras and the like.
>
> So I browsed the Verizon store today...and the only phone I really
> liked in there was the V60s. Do people think this is a good buy?
>
> I notice the antenna has been reinforced, so hopefully it won't break
> anymore. Also, it seems solid and durable.
>
> Does anyone have any comments about the phone's performance? I've
> heard mixed comments about call dropping and battery life…even though
> the specs say it's tri-mode and has 196 hours of standby time.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I like it. The call quality it good. The battery life has improved after
several recharges. It's not great, but I charge at night anyway. The
screen is clearly readable. Good keypad. The antenna does not extend.
My only problem has been not ringing sometimes; see above thread.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 11:12:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

v60s is a really good buy. But I like Motorola phones. I use 270c's and 1
v60s, with v60t in the drawer and v60gi on another provider.
Next v60i broke antenna, get the pull out flex antenna. Change the antenna
base and screw in the extentable and flexible antenna. My retail store
charges me $35. You can get the parts for $20 or so if you search.

"ken moffat" <kmoffat@drizzle.com> wrote in message
news:1084495719.361607@yasure...
> Dave wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I currently use the v60i with AT&T. The antenna has broken off four or
> > five times and it's been a real nightmare. However, I really like the
Related resources
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 6:29:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <5756ae75.0405131638.75e4279@posting.google.com>,
davidmas1091@yahoo.com (Dave) wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I currently use the v60i with AT&T. The antenna has broken off four or
> five times and it's been a real nightmare. However, I really like the
> v60 style, and I want a phone to make phone calls, and don't like the
> color screens and cameras and the like.
>
> So I browsed the Verizon store today...and the only phone I really
> liked in there was the V60s. Do people think this is a good buy?
>
> I notice the antenna has been reinforced, so hopefully it won't break
> anymore. Also, it seems solid and durable.
>
> Does anyone have any comments about the phone's performance? I've
> heard mixed comments about call dropping and battery life…even though
> the specs say it's tri-mode and has 196 hours of standby time.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Up until recently, I'd have said it was a great buy... but I've been
experiencing problems that seem to be affecting others, as well.

Check out the other thread concerning Ringer Problems hereabouts.

In short, calls come into the phone, but it doesn't ring or show up on
the display - but are recorded in the Recent Calls log.

If you do decide to buy the phone, check it out carefully during the
grace period you have to return the phone. If it works for you, great!

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 6:48:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Reception is a problem in 800 Mhz areas with the fixed antenna, but great in
1900 Mhz areas. Get the V60i extendable antenna for your V60s if you live in
an 800 Mhz area.

"Dave" <davidmas1091@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5756ae75.0405131638.75e4279@posting.google.com...
> Hey,
>
> I currently use the v60i with AT&T. The antenna has broken off four or
> five times and it's been a real nightmare. However, I really like the
> v60 style, and I want a phone to make phone calls, and don't like the
> color screens and cameras and the like.
>
> So I browsed the Verizon store today...and the only phone I really
> liked in there was the V60s. Do people think this is a good buy?
>
> I notice the antenna has been reinforced, so hopefully it won't break
> anymore. Also, it seems solid and durable.
>
> Does anyone have any comments about the phone's performance? I've
> heard mixed comments about call dropping and battery life.even though
> the specs say it's tri-mode and has 196 hours of standby time.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 10:54:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On 13 May 2004 17:38:21 -0700, davidmas1091@yahoo.com (Dave) wrote:

>Hey,
>
>I currently use the v60i with AT&T. The antenna has broken off four or
>five times and it's been a real nightmare. However, I really like the
>v60 style, and I want a phone to make phone calls, and don't like the
>color screens and cameras and the like.
>
>So I browsed the Verizon store today...and the only phone I really
>liked in there was the V60s. Do people think this is a good buy?
>
>I notice the antenna has been reinforced, so hopefully it won't break
>anymore. Also, it seems solid and durable.
>
>Does anyone have any comments about the phone's performance? I've
>heard mixed comments about call dropping and battery life…even though
>the specs say it's tri-mode and has 196 hours of standby time.
>


I just got my v60s about 2 weeks ago. So far its a good phone. The
battery life is somewhat of an issue, but I'll see after a few charges
if it improves.

I get better reception with this phone over my v120c and v120e phones
I used to use.

Its not a color phone, does not have Get-It-Now, or a lot of fancy
stuff. What it does have is a good loud earpiece, a very loud speaker
phone, and good loud ringer.

Some people have said there are ringer problems, but I have yet to
find it myself. But I've only had it for 2 weeks and haven't received
too many calls on it.

Overall I'm pleased with it and would recommended it.

Dave
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 2:44:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Like ANY mobil phone it has it's issues. Some say it won't ring. Yeah that's
true of any mobile phone not just the v60s. Every phone at times will sit
there with a full signal but not ring. Why? Who knows? The 60s is a very
nice product especially because of the effective speaker phone otherwise I
like the 60i better because it's slimmer and lighter which I value highly.
I put a 60i antenna on mine but frankly don't see much if any difference
fwiw.
Larry
"Dave" <davidmas1091@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5756ae75.0405131638.75e4279@posting.google.com...
> Hey,
>
> I currently use the v60i with AT&T. The antenna has broken off four or
> five times and it's been a real nightmare. However, I really like the
> v60 style, and I want a phone to make phone calls, and don't like the
> color screens and cameras and the like.
>
> So I browsed the Verizon store today...and the only phone I really
> liked in there was the V60s. Do people think this is a good buy?
>
> I notice the antenna has been reinforced, so hopefully it won't break
> anymore. Also, it seems solid and durable.
>
> Does anyone have any comments about the phone's performance? I've
> heard mixed comments about call dropping and battery life.even though
> the specs say it's tri-mode and has 196 hours of standby time.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 11:58:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <pq1pc.47326$iF6.4347483@attbi_s02>, jdoe <jdoe@msn.com> wrote:
>Like ANY mobil phone it has it's issues. Some say it won't ring. Yeah that's
>true of any mobile phone not just the v60s. Every phone at times will sit
>there with a full signal but not ring. Why? Who knows?

It's one thing if the call never got to the phone due to issues in the
system (like a congested cell site).

It's another if the call gets to the phone, but it doesn't ring. THAT is
a software problem on the phone.

The only time you will see "call missed" is if it got to the phone,
but was not answered.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 3:28:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On 13 May 2004 17:38:21 -0700, davidmas1091@yahoo.com (Dave) wrote:

>So I browsed the Verizon store today...and the only phone I really
>liked in there was the V60s. Do people think this is a good buy?

For a *phone*, sure. (It's one of the best VZW phones by far for
placing and receiving calls -- great speakerphone, good loud earpiece
and ringer, excellent call quality, very good RF, etc.)

For a *toy*, no. ;) 

-SC, with an orange v60s :) 
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
....
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might
be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 3:36:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:48:48 GMT, "Don R"
<drennard@nospamearthlink.net> wrote:

>Reception is a problem in 800 Mhz areas with the fixed antenna, but great in
>1900 Mhz areas. Get the V60i extendable antenna for your V60s if you live in
>an 800 Mhz area.

I did this, and it *does* help reception with the antenna up, although
not by much (3-5 dB better RSSI at most per the debug menus.) Still,
that's just enough of an improvement to make or break calls in some
borderline places -- for instance, in a supermarket in a small VZW
weak zone near my house, I can barely use the phone indoors at all
with the stubby, but can now use it in about half of the store with
the v60i antenna. If you're in fringe or iffy indoor areas a lot, as
I tend to be, it's a good thing to do, but might not be necessary for
everyone.

One quirk I noticed is that the v60i antenna doesn't go all the way
down, since the v60s's antenna base is a tad thicker than the base
used on the v60i -- the v60i antenna sits "atop" the v60s antenna
base. To me it's a bit annoying...but for that slight increase in
fringe performance I'll live with it. :) 

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
....
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might
be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 6:30:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <9jlaa0lsrj5p5oq3ad9nkp2eoobg83utcs@4ax.com>,
Stanley Cline <sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:48:48 GMT, "Don R"
> <drennard@nospamearthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >Reception is a problem in 800 Mhz areas with the fixed antenna, but great in
> >1900 Mhz areas. Get the V60i extendable antenna for your V60s if you live in
> >an 800 Mhz area.
>
> I did this, and it *does* help reception with the antenna up, although
> not by much (3-5 dB better RSSI at most per the debug menus.) Still,
> that's just enough of an improvement to make or break calls in some
> borderline places -- for instance, in a supermarket in a small VZW
> weak zone near my house, I can barely use the phone indoors at all
> with the stubby, but can now use it in about half of the store with
> the v60i antenna. If you're in fringe or iffy indoor areas a lot, as
> I tend to be, it's a good thing to do, but might not be necessary for
> everyone.
>
> One quirk I noticed is that the v60i antenna doesn't go all the way
> down, since the v60s's antenna base is a tad thicker than the base
> used on the v60i -- the v60i antenna sits "atop" the v60s antenna
> base. To me it's a bit annoying...but for that slight increase in
> fringe performance I'll live with it. :) 
>
> -SC

Not on mine. I took the original OEM antenna off my old v60i and
screwed it into my v60s - and it appears to fit flush with the top of
the case.

Now, the aftermarket v60i antenna I also have *did* what you are
describing. It doesn't quite fit flush.

Are you sure it's an original Motorola replacement?

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 6:33:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <c838de02tje@news1.newsguy.com>,
hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote:

> In article <pq1pc.47326$iF6.4347483@attbi_s02>, jdoe <jdoe@msn.com> wrote:
> >Like ANY mobil phone it has it's issues. Some say it won't ring. Yeah that's
> >true of any mobile phone not just the v60s. Every phone at times will sit
> >there with a full signal but not ring. Why? Who knows?
>
> It's one thing if the call never got to the phone due to issues in the
> system (like a congested cell site).
>
> It's another if the call gets to the phone, but it doesn't ring. THAT is
> a software problem on the phone.
>
> The only time you will see "call missed" is if it got to the phone,
> but was not answered.

Take my word for it... the call DOES get to the phone. It shows up in
the Received Calls log. And I've actually watched the outside screen
while placing a call to the phone in question. No indication at all,
either visual, or audible that a call is in progress.

And this has happened on 2 of my 3 phones. (The 3rd is my son's phone -
and he's *told* me he had similar issues, but I haven't seen it for
myself.)

I'm taking them into my store tomorrow, and I'll let you know what the
deal is.

I'm not expecting much help, though...

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 11:10:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

FPP wrote:

>
> I'm taking them into my store tomorrow, and I'll let you know what the
> deal is.
>
> I'm not expecting much help, though...
>
> Fred
>

I've heard there is/was a software upgrade available, but it may not fix
all problems. Let us know.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 3:46:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Radioshack has them for $39.99+tax for new customers.


"Stanley Cline" <sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote in message
news:7flaa0dcnitachtu5bjskv0c5i7bhq40c8@4ax.com...
> On 13 May 2004 17:38:21 -0700, davidmas1091@yahoo.com (Dave) wrote:
>
> >So I browsed the Verizon store today...and the only phone I really
> >liked in there was the V60s. Do people think this is a good buy?
>
> For a *phone*, sure. (It's one of the best VZW phones by far for
> placing and receiving calls -- great speakerphone, good loud earpiece
> and ringer, excellent call quality, very good RF, etc.)
>
> For a *toy*, no. ;) 
>
> -SC, with an orange v60s :) 
> --
> Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
> ...
> "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might
> be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 12:56:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Ken Moffat wrote:

>
> I've heard there is/was a software upgrade available, but it may not fix
> all problems. Let us know.



Indeed there is a software upgrade available, at least in Tacoma,
Washington. We'll see if it cures my problems.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 1:30:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <1084723003.792217@yasure>, ken moffat <kmoffat@drizzle.com>
wrote:

> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> >
> > I've heard there is/was a software upgrade available, but it may not fix
> > all problems. Let us know.
>
>
>
> Indeed there is a software upgrade available, at least in Tacoma,
> Washington. We'll see if it cures my problems.

How do you go about getting the upgrade? Do you know what the before
and after changes are?

I was told at my local dealer that I could do it myself by dialing into
a Verizon umber he gave me.

I don't notice the software version changing in my phone, though...

I started out with S/W Version: 8610_02.0f.02

However, under PRL Version, it changed from 50152 to 50160

....whatever the *hell* that means.

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 5:14:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

FPP wrote:
> In article <1084723003.792217@yasure>, ken moffat <kmoffat@drizzle.com>
> wrote:
>
>
>>Ken Moffat wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I've heard there is/was a software upgrade available, but it may not fix
>>> all problems. Let us know.
>>
>>
>>
>>Indeed there is a software upgrade available, at least in Tacoma,
>>Washington. We'll see if it cures my problems.
>
>
> How do you go about getting the upgrade? Do you know what the before
> and after changes are?
>
> I was told at my local dealer that I could do it myself by dialing into
> a Verizon umber he gave me.
>
> I don't notice the software version changing in my phone, though...
>
> I started out with S/W Version: 8610_02.0f.02
>
> However, under PRL Version, it changed from 50152 to 50160
>
> ...whatever the *hell* that means.
>
> Fred
>

You can upgrade the prl over the air, which is the roaming list, but for
software upgrades you must go to a Verizon store. My upgrade was from 02
ot 03. I don't know what the changes are.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:31:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <1084824871.791950@yasure>, ken moffat <kmoffat@drizzle.com>
wrote:
>
> You can upgrade the prl over the air, which is the roaming list, but for
> software upgrades you must go to a Verizon store. My upgrade was from 02
> ot 03. I don't know what the changes are.

Motorola support on-line suggests I take the phones in for servicing.
I'm not too thrilled about losing my phones for any period of time...
but I don't mind taking them in for an upgrade.

Hopefully they'll give me some concrete info when I take them in this
weekend.

We'll see...

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 6:35:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Regarding v60s... I just got off the phone with a Motorola tech who
suggested I take my phones in for a software upgrade.

He asked if I had my phone upgraded recently... Apparently there is a
software upgrade that was made available very recently.

I'm taking my 3 phones in tomorrow. He said it would probably take an
hour or so do do all 3.

Don't know *what* the upgrade fixes... but I hope it's the ringer
problem.

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 10:20:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

FPP wrote:
> Regarding v60s... I just got off the phone with a Motorola tech who
> suggested I take my phones in for a software upgrade.
>
> He asked if I had my phone upgraded recently... Apparently there is a
> software upgrade that was made available very recently.
>
> I'm taking my 3 phones in tomorrow. He said it would probably take an
> hour or so do do all 3.
>
> Don't know *what* the upgrade fixes... but I hope it's the ringer
> problem.
>
> Fred
>

I got this upgrade (3, from 2) and have had no problems since, but it's
only been a week.
!