32bit apps under Win 7 x64 - CPU impact?

Hi all,

I finally took the plunge and got my very own Win 7 Professional x64, after running the beta, RC, and 90-day Enterprise trial. One thing I've noticed compared to the 32-bit versions is that my overall CPU utilization seems to be a notch higher than before. The majority of my apps are obviously 32-bit.

Is there a known reason for 32bit apps causing higher CPU utilization under a 64bit OS? Or is this just a case of waiting for Windows to settle down? I know it does indexing and various other optimizations for the first few hours/days after installation.

Any insight/similar experiences will be appreciated. Thanks!

Herr_Koos
5 answers Last reply
More about 32bit apps impact
  1. You might like to read this MSDN article to get the full lowdown on the subject. I can't see any reason why there should be significantly more CPU usage on an x86_64 system (although there would be on an Itanium one) as it is running the 32-bit code natively.

I can't say that I have noticed any difference on my PC with XP64 or Windows 7 64. If anything, the 64-bit systems have always felt abit "snappier" than the 32-bit one.
  2. Intel runs 32 apps with an emulator, so I been told, I'm running AMD which doesn't need it, so I can't see the hit, although it's got to be miinor for you
  3. number13 said:
    Intel runs 32 apps with an emulator, so I been told, I'm running AMD which doesn't need it, so I can't see the hit, although it's got to be miinor for you

I'm afraid that you have been misinformed (unless by Intel you mean the Itanium - I don't think that Windows 7 is available for the Itanium processor). The AMD and Intel x86_64 processors are, to all intents and purposes, identical from a programming viewpoint.
  4. Thanks for the link ijack, will have a peek. I have an Athlon X2 5600, by the way. I have a hunch that I'll need to bump up the RAM, only got 2GB at the moment.
  5. I'd go for 4GB at least. As long as you're doing nothing too demanding then that's plenty enough.
Ask a new question

Read More

Apps CPUs X64 Windows 7