I tried to upgrade Win ME and kept getting errors saying the files would not
copy so I thought the hard drive was going bad, bought a new hard drive and
still could not load XP on the PC. I tried to update the bios, increase
memory and I tried 2 different CD's. The file that can't load is the
diskcopy.dll. How can I get XP to load?

alice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004

i'm trying to upgrade from win Me to XP,unfortunately, i have the simular
problems with EL,getting error saying the file can't be copied .it gave three
choices to me, first one is'continue'by pressing ENTER, but no reaction at
all. second choice is to skip it,however, it wrote that the installion may
not be completed and the upgraded XP may not work properly. Third choice is
exit installation.

for the file type which having error, it's the same with EL, it's .dll type.
The file name is vbscript.dll at c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

what's vbscript.dll?? is it an important file ??
will that 'error' not be occur if i delete it??
would my computer will not work properly if i delete that file?
also, what makes the error occured ??

THX ANSWERING THE QUESTION !!

| I tried to upgrade Win ME and kept getting errors saying the
files
| would not copy so I thought the hard drive was going bad,
bought
| a new hard drive and still could not load XP on the PC. I
tried to
| update the bios, increase memory and I tried 2 different CD's.
| The file that can't load is the diskcopy.dll. How can I get XP
| load?

See the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

- KB310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems
During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or
Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;310064

According to KB310064 (section titled "You receive a file copy
error while the Setup program is running") some causes of this
behavior are: CD-ROM is scratched, CD-ROM drive is not
working correctly, multiple CD-ROM drives, computer is over-
clocked, damaged or mismatched random access memory (RAM),
Ultra direct memory access (DMA) turned on, third-party memory
manager, a virus on your computer

- KB257954 - Random Files May Not Be Copied During
Text-Mode Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;257954

According to KB257954, some other causes (not listed in
KB310064) of this behavior are: PC133 SDRAM is being used in
a computer that requires PC100 SDRAM.

And on the subject of faulty RAM, here's what another user with
the same problem had to say about it: