Errors installing XP

I tried to upgrade Win ME and kept getting errors saying the files would not
copy so I thought the hard drive was going bad, bought a new hard drive and
still could not load XP on the PC. I tried to update the bios, increase
memory and I tried 2 different CD's. The file that can't load is the
diskcopy.dll. How can I get XP to load?
5 answers Last reply
More about errors installing

    i'm trying to upgrade from win Me to XP,unfortunately, i have the simular
    problems with EL,getting error saying the file can't be copied .it gave three
    choices to me, first one is'continue'by pressing ENTER, but no reaction at
    all. second choice is to skip it,however, it wrote that the installion may
    not be completed and the upgraded XP may not work properly. Third choice is
    exit installation.

    for the file type which having error, it's the same with EL, it's .dll type.
    The file name is vbscript.dll at c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

    what's vbscript.dll?? is it an important file ??
    will that 'error' not be occur if i delete it??
    would my computer will not work properly if i delete that file?
    also, what makes the error occured ??

    THX ANSWERING THE QUESTION !!

    | I tried to upgrade Win ME and kept getting errors saying the
    files
    | would not copy so I thought the hard drive was going bad,
    bought
    | a new hard drive and still could not load XP on the PC. I
    tried to
    | update the bios, increase memory and I tried 2 different CD's.
    | The file that can't load is the diskcopy.dll. How can I get XP
    | load?

    See the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

    - KB310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems
    During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or
    Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;310064

    According to KB310064 (section titled "You receive a file copy
    error while the Setup program is running") some causes of this
    behavior are: CD-ROM is scratched, CD-ROM drive is not
    working correctly, multiple CD-ROM drives, computer is over-
    clocked, damaged or mismatched random access memory (RAM),
    Ultra direct memory access (DMA) turned on, third-party memory
    manager, a virus on your computer

    - KB257954 - Random Files May Not Be Copied During
    Text-Mode Setup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;257954

    According to KB257954, some other causes (not listed in
    KB310064) of this behavior are: PC133 SDRAM is being used in
    a computer that requires PC100 SDRAM.

    And on the subject of faulty RAM, here's what another user with
    the same problem had to say about it: