How do I restore.

I am trying to access a program and keep getting an error message that says
Cannot find SHELL.DLL. I'm using XP Home Editiion that was preloaded on my
computer. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about restore

    Go to Start, All programs, Accessories, System tools, System Restore.

    "GA gal" <GA gal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78BFC8B9-498C-4AA7-81CA-D82209EF075B@microsoft.com...
    > I am trying to access a program and keep getting an error message that says
    > Cannot find SHELL.DLL. I'm using XP Home Editiion that was preloaded on my
    > computer. Thanks.

    Hi GA Gal,

    Start/run msconfig, click on "expand file" (general tab)

    File to expand: shell.dll
    From: X:\I386
    To: C:\Windows\system32

    Where X is whatever letter is assigned your CD drive (you need your WinXP CD
    for this), change it accordingly. If your system was preinstalled, you may
    find this instead on the hard drive under C:\Windows\I386. If so, change the
    "from" line accordingly. This assumes a default installation to C:\Windows.
    If your installation is in a different folder, such as C:\Winnt, change the
    "To" path accordingly. Reboot when finished.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "GA gal" <GA gal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to access a program and keep getting an error message that says
    > Cannot find SHELL.DLL. I'm using XP Home Editiion that was preloaded on my
    > computer. Thanks.

Microsoft Error Message Windows XP