? HP Intel Motherboard CPU SLOT 1 Operating Voltage ?

Ben Myers helpfully suggested that the motherboard in my HP Vectra VL
6/400 Series 8 is not the Intel NX440LX item that I thought it was
similar to, but would bear a closer resemblance to a 440BX.

I've been back to the Intel website and Ben's right! The HP 5183-8014
(part number D6940-63001) bears a closer resemblance to the Intel JN440BX.

This board has a 100MHz FSB and was designed for Intel Pentium 2 running
at up to 450MHz.

There is some interesting information about which other P2 and P3
processors are supported at the following URL:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/jn440bx/procsupp.htm

Now, here's my problem. On the HP OEM Intel board in my Vectra I can't
find an Intel board revision number like A06449-XXX at all! So I don't
know whether I can change my CPU from the 400MHz (512Mb L2 cache) P2, to
the 850MHz (256Mb L2 cache) P3 that I want to use.

Any clues?

Thanks for your time. Marcus

Marcus,

I would suggest being conservative here. The general rule of the thumb with the
older Slot 1 440BX chipset boards with jumper or switch settings for CPU speed
is that they will not support the lower voltage required by Pentium III CPUs
above 600MHz. So it's best not to even attempt installing the 850, maybe
selling it for good money, then getting a 600MHz Slot 1 100MHz FSB Pentium III
rated at 2.0v.

If the board inside the Vectra exactly meets Intel's specification for the NLX
form factor (edge connector & form factor), there is some possibility of finding
a complete Socket 370 NLX board assembly including I/O plate, and replacing the
original HP board. This entails quite a bit of work, with removal of the
sliders from the old board, installation of sliders on the new board, and
possible retrofitting of the chassis. IMHO, not worth the effort... Ben Myers