Access Net VIa Wireless Verizon Phone Connected to Noteboo..

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 14, 2004 6:23:40 AM

A guy I work with reports he accesses the internet using his wireless
Verizon phone connected to his notebook computer.
Where can I buy the connector between the notebook and the wireless phone?
Is there a Verizon store in downtown Baltimore, MD?
I suspect I need to buy additional wireless Internet service for the phone.
If this isn't the correct newsgroup too post this message
please let me know which group to post it in.

Thanks,

Mike
May 14, 2004 9:12:49 AM

Mike wrote:

> A guy I work with reports he accesses the internet using his wireless
> Verizon phone connected to his notebook computer.
> Where can I buy the connector between the notebook and the wireless phone?
> Is there a Verizon store in downtown Baltimore, MD?
> I suspect I need to buy additional wireless Internet service for the phone.
> If this isn't the correct newsgroup too post this message
> please let me know which group to post it in.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

You need a Mobile Office Kit. You can usually get them from e-Bay a lot
cheaper than from Verizon. Make sure it's compatible with you phone.
If you have an America's Choice Plan you do not need any additional
service to access the internet. You will be using your plan minutes
during prime time however so it's best to do your surfing during off
peak time. Nights and week-ends.

Don
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 15, 2004 8:14:26 AM

Don wrote:

> Mike wrote:
>
>>A guy I work with reports he accesses the internet using his wireless
>>Verizon phone connected to his notebook computer.
>>Where can I buy the connector between the notebook and the wireless phone?
>>Is there a Verizon store in downtown Baltimore, MD?
>>I suspect I need to buy additional wireless Internet service for the phone.
>>If this isn't the correct newsgroup too post this message
>>please let me know which group to post it in.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mike
>

> You need a Mobile Office Kit. You can usually get them from e-Bay a lot
> cheaper than from Verizon. Make sure it's compatible with you phone.
> If you have an America's Choice Plan you do not need any additional
> service to access the internet. You will be using your plan minutes
> during prime time however so it's best to do your surfing during off
> peak time. Nights and week-ends.
>
> Don

You might want to verify on your bill a feature called "National Access"
which means that your data use will use your plan minutes as Don
mentioned. If that's not on your bill, call and ask them to add it. As
he said, it is free on America's Choice plans.

Steve
Related resources
May 15, 2004 9:34:39 AM

Steve Johnson wrot

> You might want to verify on your bill a feature called "National Access"
> which means that your data use will use your plan minutes as Don
> mentioned. If that's not on your bill, call and ask them to add it. As
> he said, it is free on America's Choice plans.
>
> Steve

As I have posted before, I do not believe you have to call anyone to get
NA-MOU if you have an America's Choice Plan. Get the Mobile Office Kit
and use the software to use this service. That's what I did. Calling
Verizon seems to be frustrating at best as their CSR's don't seem to be
aware of what's available.

Don in Tracy, Calif.
May 15, 2004 10:41:40 PM

Good point,

Thanks,

Mike

"Steve Johnson" <sjohnson29@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don wrote:
>
> > Mike wrote:
> >
> >>A guy I work with reports he accesses the internet using his wireless
> >>Verizon phone connected to his notebook computer.
> >>Where can I buy the connector between the notebook and the wireless
phone?
> >>Is there a Verizon store in downtown Baltimore, MD?
> >>I suspect I need to buy additional wireless Internet service for the
phone.
> >>If this isn't the correct newsgroup too post this message
> >>please let me know which group to post it in.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Mike
> >

> > You need a Mobile Office Kit. You can usually get them from e-Bay a lot
> > cheaper than from Verizon. Make sure it's compatible with you phone.
> > If you have an America's Choice Plan you do not need any additional
> > service to access the internet. You will be using your plan minutes
> > during prime time however so it's best to do your surfing during off
> > peak time. Nights and week-ends.
> >
> > Don
>
> You might want to verify on your bill a feature called "National Access"
> which means that your data use will use your plan minutes as Don
> mentioned. If that's not on your bill, call and ask them to add it. As
> he said, it is free on America's Choice plans.
>
> Steve
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 21, 2004 4:48:48 AM

Mike wrote:

> A guy I work with reports he accesses the internet using his wireless
> Verizon phone connected to his notebook computer.
> Where can I buy the connector between the notebook and the wireless phone?

I've been doing this for years. The "mobile Office" kit at the store is
overpriced and I think useless. You dont need their software.

The only real drawback is the limitation of 19.2 for the speed. (unless
any of the NG readers know something I dont?)

I can either use their *777, or just dial my ISP.

-SP
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 21, 2004 4:48:49 AM

"speedy" <seedy@raex.com> wrote in message
> Mike wrote:
>
>> A guy I work with reports he accesses the internet using his wireless
>> Verizon phone connected to his notebook computer.
>> Where can I buy the connector between the notebook and the wireless
>> phone?
>
> I've been doing this for years. The "mobile Office" kit at the store
> is overpriced and I think useless. You dont need their software.
>
> The only real drawback is the limitation of 19.2 for the speed.
> (unless any of the NG readers know something I dont?)
>
> I can either use their *777, or just dial my ISP.
>
> -SP

Absolutely, positively, it is extremely feasible to go up to 10 times faster
(usually about 60k-90k, with bursts up to 144k, straight dial up can
absolutely never be more than 56k), and there are tens of thousands of
people using the much faster 1x every day. There are a bunch of maybes and
depends, but the first step in going to 1x is using #777 instead of dialing
direct. That usually means that whatever local service has an internal
network, and you are connecting direct rather than trying to dial. As far as
I know, there is no way to use 1x with a standard phone number/dialing an
ISP directly.

There are quite a few further steps before you can use 1x, but using #777
instead of dialing directly is an absolute necessity.

Just out of curiosity, if the #777 works for you, why would you ever want to
dial your ISP directly again?
May 21, 2004 1:01:37 PM

>> I can either use their *777, or just dial my ISP.
>>
>> -SP
>
> Absolutely, positively, it is extremely feasible to go up to 10 times
> faster (usually about 60k-90k, with bursts up to 144k, straight dial
> up can absolutely never be more than 56k), and there are tens of
> thousands of people using the much faster 1x every day. There are a
> bunch of maybes and depends, but the first step in going to 1x is
> using #777 instead of dialing direct. That usually means that
> whatever local service has an internal network, and you are
> connecting direct rather than trying to dial. As far as I know, there
> is no way to use 1x with a standard phone number/dialing an ISP
> directly.
>
> There are quite a few further steps before you can use 1x, but using
> #777 instead of dialing directly is an absolute necessity.
>
> Just out of curiosity, if the #777 works for you, why would you ever
> want to dial your ISP directly again?

Can someone please explain this #777 or *777... I've used the 1x connection
and dialed my own ISP from my phone. But I think I'm missing something
here.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 21, 2004 1:01:38 PM

"JEB" <berndt at berndt md dott com> wrote in message
>>> I can either use their *777, or just dial my ISP.
>>>
>>> -SP
>>
>> Absolutely, positively, it is extremely feasible to go up to 10 times
>> faster (usually about 60k-90k, with bursts up to 144k, straight dial
>> up can absolutely never be more than 56k), and there are tens of
>> thousands of people using the much faster 1x every day. There are a
>> bunch of maybes and depends, but the first step in going to 1x is
>> using #777 instead of dialing direct. That usually means that
>> whatever local service has an internal network, and you are
>> connecting direct rather than trying to dial. As far as I know, there
>> is no way to use 1x with a standard phone number/dialing an ISP
>> directly.
>>
>> There are quite a few further steps before you can use 1x, but using
>> #777 instead of dialing directly is an absolute necessity.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, if the #777 works for you, why would you ever
>> want to dial your ISP directly again?
>
> Can someone please explain this #777 or *777... I've used the 1x
> connection and dialed my own ISP from my phone. But I think I'm
> missing something here.
>
> Thanks

If you are in a native verizon (and sometimes extended network) area, you
can use #777 (in the computer software, NOT ON THE HANDSET!!!) to dial the
LAN connection, connects directly to the providers network, usually under a
sec, no long distance and no modems. A bit of a mistype above, you can never
get the full speed of up to 144k by dialing an isp's phone number directly,
even if you have a 1x phone. The usual 1x stuff is packet switched, while
the direct to a modem is circuit switched. Even if your phone shows 1x, if
you call an isp directly it is circuit switched (non 1x) rather than packet
switched.

Again, even if your phone shows 1x, you are NOT actually using 1x to make a
data call if you call a direct phone number.

The reason for not explaining things further, is that every circumstance is
different. Different phones, different cables, different drivers, different
software, port type (serial or usb) etc. You'd be amazed how many people
never say what they have, hey! you didn't say either!

Even the 1x isn't quite accurate, verizon at times has called it Express
Network, National Access, Circuit Switched/Packet Switched, 1x, 1 .5g, 2.5g
3g etc. It is much easier to type 1x than any of the above, and in most
instances it is accurate.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 23, 2004 8:26:54 PM

On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:08:45 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> chose to add this to the great equation of
life, the universe, and everything:

>> The only real drawback is the limitation of 19.2 for the speed.
>> (unless any of the NG readers know something I dont?)
>>
>> I can either use their *777, or just dial my ISP.
>
>Absolutely, positively, it is extremely feasible to go up to 10 times faster
>(usually about 60k-90k, with bursts up to 144k

Can you perhaps tell me what form of mathematics you employ to multiply
19.2 by 10 and come up with a maximum of 144?

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"[T]urkey can contain salmonella, which are tiny bacteria that, if they get
in your bloodstream, develop into full-grown salmon, which could come
leaping out of your mouth during an important business presentation."
- Dave Barry
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 23, 2004 8:26:55 PM

"David S" <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:08:45 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> chose to add this to the great equation
> of life, the universe, and everything:
>
>>> The only real drawback is the limitation of 19.2 for the speed.
>>> (unless any of the NG readers know something I dont?)
>>>
>>> I can either use their *777, or just dial my ISP.
>>
>> Absolutely, positively, it is extremely feasible to go up to 10
>> times faster (usually about 60k-90k, with bursts up to 144k
>
> Can you perhaps tell me what form of mathematics you employ to
> multiply
> 19.2 by 10 and come up with a maximum of 144?

Well, two things actually
In reality, there is NO 19.2 speed from phone to tower, that is the speed
from the computer to the phone, not the phone to the cell tower (There is
DTE ((Data Terminal Equipment)) and DCE (Data Communications Equipment)
speeds. One is 14.4 and the other is 19.2). The manufacturers started
showing the bigger number on the screen when connecting so people think it
is bigger and better.

Second, many of us use the National Access Minutes of Use *option* (not the
plan that costs money), and get an average speed of 70k-90k bursting up to
144k. That's 10 times the speed of the 14.4 connection (10*14.4 = 144).

That's the 1x/Express/NationalAccess connections you may have heard about
for the last year or so in these groups.

If it makes you feel any better, you can tweak the driver to show whatever
number you want on the screen when connected. I just did mine and am
displaying "connected at 921,600". Guess what, that's an impossibility via
1x. But I am currently in Las Vegas and Illusion is everything here :)

As to what to do, after using #777 to call rather than dialing the ISP
directly, that depends on a whole lot of things that people usually don't
put in their posts (Phone type, usb or serial, windows version
(XP/ME/98/etc), plan type, if their paper bill (or the one online) shows
under current options "National Access"). If so, and the other parts are
right, you may already have the ability to connect at the higher speeds
instead of what you use now.
!