Netgear DG834G router & switch

Hello, the webpage on netgear.com says that the DG834G is a router
*and* a switch. Based on this assumption, i`ve bought this device to
connect both of my computers to the internet and to create a home
network in order to share files etc.

I was able to create a shared internet connection but cannot get the
home network working.

Is there any way to enable the home network? I`m afraid that the
description on webpage is misleading since the manual nor faqs do not
mention anything about the switch, not even in the specification.

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=223&view=

Thank you!

-
Yer best m8
5 answers Last reply
More about netgear dg834g router switch

    i'm pretty sure you can.

    it's a pity netgear don't make it as clear and as simple as this walk
    through....

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

    good luck!

    ian

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:43:55 GMT, Yer best m8 <m8@house.com> wrote:

    >Hello, the webpage on netgear.com says that the DG834G is a router
    >*and* a switch. Based on this assumption, i`ve bought this device to
    >connect both of my computers to the internet and to create a home
    >network in order to share files etc.
    >
    >I was able to create a shared internet connection but cannot get the
    >home network working.
    >
    >Is there any way to enable the home network? I`m afraid that the
    >description on webpage is misleading since the manual nor faqs do not
    >mention anything about the switch, not even in the specification.
    >
    >http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=223&view=
    >
    >Thank you!

    You've not said anything about your understanding of networking. The
    unit you describe does indeed have a four port switch but there is no
    magic button enable a home network. Your computers will only see each
    other and be able to share files if they themselves are set up
    properly to do so.

    There are a variety of resources on the internet to help with the
    setting up of a home network. One has been provided by another poster
    - for more trying searching Google. There are loads of forums online
    as well for this sort of thing.

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:47:37 +0100, Simon Pleasants
    <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:43:55 GMT, Yer best m8 <m8@house.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello, the webpage on netgear.com says that the DG834G is a router
    >>*and* a switch. Based on this assumption, i`ve bought this device to
    >>connect both of my computers to the internet and to create a home
    >>network in order to share files etc.
    >>
    >>I was able to create a shared internet connection but cannot get the
    >>home network working.
    >>
    >>Is there any way to enable the home network? I`m afraid that the
    >>description on webpage is misleading since the manual nor faqs do not
    >>mention anything about the switch, not even in the specification.
    >>
    >>http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=223&view=
    >>
    >>Thank you!
    >
    >You've not said anything about your understanding of networking. The
    >unit you describe does indeed have a four port switch but there is no
    >magic button enable a home network. Your computers will only see each
    >other and be able to share files if they themselves are set up
    >properly to do so.
    >
    >There are a variety of resources on the internet to help with the
    >setting up of a home network. One has been provided by another poster
    >- for more trying searching Google. There are loads of forums online
    >as well for this sort of thing.

    I know how to set up a network, the installation has set up all the
    things and is using DHCP to set addresses all (i got win xp home). The
    machines can ping router but can`t ping each other and that makes me
    confused since everything is set as it should be.

    --
    Yer best M8

    > On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:47:37 +0100, Simon Pleasants
    > <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:43:55 GMT, Yer best m8 <m8@house.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hello, the webpage on netgear.com says that the DG834G is a router
    > >>*and* a switch. Based on this assumption, i`ve bought this device to
    > >>connect both of my computers to the internet and to create a home
    > >>network in order to share files etc.
    > >>
    > >>I was able to create a shared internet connection but cannot get the
    > >>home network working.
    > >>
    > >>Is there any way to enable the home network? I`m afraid that the
    > >>description on webpage is misleading since the manual nor faqs do not
    > >>mention anything about the switch, not even in the specification.
    > >>
    > >>http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=223&view=
    > >>
    > >>Thank you!
    > >
    > >You've not said anything about your understanding of networking. The
    > >unit you describe does indeed have a four port switch but there is no
    > >magic button enable a home network. Your computers will only see each
    > >other and be able to share files if they themselves are set up
    > >properly to do so.
    > >
    > >There are a variety of resources on the internet to help with the
    > >setting up of a home network. One has been provided by another poster
    > >- for more trying searching Google. There are loads of forums online
    > >as well for this sort of thing.
    >
    > I know how to set up a network, the installation has set up all the
    > things and is using DHCP to set addresses all (i got win xp home). The
    > machines can ping router but can`t ping each other and that makes me
    > confused since everything is set as it should be.
    >
    > --
    > Yer best M8

    Are you running a software firewall on any of the computers?

    If so, try switching them off

    In the case of Zone Alarm you will probably have to uninstall it

    "John Kelly" <fielldmaster@thefield.fsworldDELETEME.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Yer best m8" <m8@house.com> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:47:37 +0100, Simon Pleasants
    > > <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > >You've not said anything about your understanding of networking. The
    > > >unit you describe does indeed have a four port switch but there is no
    > > >magic button enable a home network. Your computers will only see each
    > > >other and be able to share files if they themselves are set up
    > > >properly to do so.
    > > >
    > > >There are a variety of resources on the internet to help with the
    > > >setting up of a home network. One has been provided by another poster
    > > >- for more trying searching Google. There are loads of forums online
    > > >as well for this sort of thing.
    > >
    > > I know how to set up a network, the installation has set up all the
    > > things and is using DHCP to set addresses all (i got win xp home). The
    > > machines can ping router but can`t ping each other and that makes me
    > > confused since everything is set as it should be.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Yer best M8
    > >

    > Are you running a software firewall on any of the computers?
    >
    > If so, try switching them off
    >
    > In the case of Zone Alarm you will probably have to uninstall it

    You don't need to uninstall Zone Alarm. Just add your LAN's subnet address
    to the Trusted Zone.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Switch Netgear Internet Wireless Networking