  • USB Drive
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 9, 2004 9:55:22 PM

It has been impossible to delete a directory in an external USB drive. I
tried to
do it from DOS, but I cannot access the drive thanks

More about : access usb drive

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 7:13:01 AM

Hi,

Hi,

What is wrong when you try to access the drive through Windows Explorer.
This is faster and u have a graphical interface to work with. Why do u want
to use the Dos Prompt.

Regards
M. Rajesh
..Net and Windows Shell MVP
www.winxpsolution.com

"Jason K. Lambrou" wrote:

> It has been impossible to delete a directory in an external USB drive. I
> tried to
> do it from DOS, but I cannot access the drive thanks

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 1:22:17 PM

M. Rajesh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
> What is wrong when you try to access the drive through Windows Explorer.
> This is faster and u have a graphical interface to work with. Why do u want
> to use the Dos Prompt.
>
> Regards
> M. Rajesh
> .Net and Windows Shell MVP
> www.winxpsolution.com
>
> "Jason K. Lambrou" wrote:
>
> > It has been impossible to delete a directory in an external USB drive. I
> > tried to
> > do it from DOS, but I cannot access the drive thanks

This particular directory got corrupted,so now every time I try to access any
of its files it hangs up the computer for a while and I can't open it.That is
why I tried to use the DOS prompt to delete the directory but DOS can't see the
USB drive.
August 10, 2004 1:59:27 PM

M. Rajesh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
> What is wrong when you try to access the drive through Windows Explorer.
> This is faster and u have a graphical interface to work with. Why do u want
> to use the Dos Prompt.
>
> Regards
> M. Rajesh
> .Net and Windows Shell MVP
> www.winxpsolution.com
>
> "Jason K. Lambrou" wrote:
>
> > It has been impossible to delete a directory in an external USB drive. I
> > tried to
> > do it from DOS, but I cannot access the drive thanks

I just tried to delete it in SAFE MODE and I got the following message"Data
error
cyclic redundancy check" Thanks
August 10, 2004 1:59:28 PM

My question is: What type of external USB drive? There are many on the
market and stating what type would help in getting a proper response. When
you get the Cyclic Redundancy Check error it means it cannot read the USB
drive primarily due to the drive/directory/or file being corrupt. Most USB
drives can be opened and read using Windows Explorer to add and/or delete
files.

"Jason K. Lambrou" wrote:

> M. Rajesh wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > What is wrong when you try to access the drive through Windows Explorer.
> > This is faster and u have a graphical interface to work with. Why do u want
> > to use the Dos Prompt.
> >
> > Regards
> > M. Rajesh
> > .Net and Windows Shell MVP
> > www.winxpsolution.com
> >
> > "Jason K. Lambrou" wrote:
> >
> > > It has been impossible to delete a directory in an external USB drive. I
> > > tried to
> > > do it from DOS, but I cannot access the drive thanks
> > >

> I just tried to delete it in SAFE MODE and I got the following message"Data
> error
> cyclic redundancy check" Thanks

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 6:23:26 PM

It is a brand new WD 200 gig.Only one(twenty directories) directory is corrupted,
no problems with the rest.I tried it in safe mode same response, when I used the
DOS prompt, the USB drive doesn't show up.

!