Can't access USB drive

It has been impossible to delete a directory in an external USB drive. I
tried to
do it from DOS, but I cannot access the drive thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about access drive

    Hi,

    Hi,

    What is wrong when you try to access the drive through Windows Explorer.
    This is faster and u have a graphical interface to work with. Why do u want
    to use the Dos Prompt.

    Regards
    M. Rajesh
    ..Net and Windows Shell MVP
    www.winxpsolution.com

    M. Rajesh wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > What is wrong when you try to access the drive through Windows Explorer.
    > This is faster and u have a graphical interface to work with. Why do u want
    > to use the Dos Prompt.
    >
    > Regards
    > M. Rajesh
    > .Net and Windows Shell MVP
    > www.winxpsolution.com
    >
    > "Jason K. Lambrou" wrote:
    >
    > > It has been impossible to delete a directory in an external USB drive. I
    > > tried to
    > > do it from DOS, but I cannot access the drive thanks

    This particular directory got corrupted,so now every time I try to access any
    of its files it hangs up the computer for a while and I can't open it.That is
    why I tried to use the DOS prompt to delete the directory but DOS can't see the
    USB drive.

    M. Rajesh wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > What is wrong when you try to access the drive through Windows Explorer.
    > This is faster and u have a graphical interface to work with. Why do u want
    > to use the Dos Prompt.
    >
    > Regards
    > M. Rajesh
    > .Net and Windows Shell MVP
    > www.winxpsolution.com
    >
    > "Jason K. Lambrou" wrote:
    >
    > > It has been impossible to delete a directory in an external USB drive. I
    > > tried to
    > > do it from DOS, but I cannot access the drive thanks

    I just tried to delete it in SAFE MODE and I got the following message"Data
    error
    cyclic redundancy check" Thanks

    My question is: What type of external USB drive? There are many on the
    market and stating what type would help in getting a proper response. When
    you get the Cyclic Redundancy Check error it means it cannot read the USB
    drive primarily due to the drive/directory/or file being corrupt. Most USB
    drives can be opened and read using Windows Explorer to add and/or delete
    files.

    "Jason K. Lambrou" wrote:

    > M. Rajesh wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > What is wrong when you try to access the drive through Windows Explorer.
    > > This is faster and u have a graphical interface to work with. Why do u want
    > > to use the Dos Prompt.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > M. Rajesh
    > > .Net and Windows Shell MVP
    > > www.winxpsolution.com
    > >
    > > "Jason K. Lambrou" wrote:
    > >
    > > > It has been impossible to delete a directory in an external USB drive. I
    > > > tried to
    > > > do it from DOS, but I cannot access the drive thanks
    > > >

    > I just tried to delete it in SAFE MODE and I got the following message"Data
    > error
    > cyclic redundancy check" Thanks

    It is a brand new WD 200 gig.Only one(twenty directories) directory is corrupted,
    no problems with the rest.I tried it in safe mode same response, when I used the
    DOS prompt, the USB drive doesn't show up.

    Byte wrote:

    > My question is: What type of external USB drive? There are many on the
    > market and stating what type would help in getting a proper response. When
    > you get the Cyclic Redundancy Check error it means it cannot read the USB
    > drive primarily due to the drive/directory/or file being corrupt. Most USB
    > drives can be opened and read using Windows Explorer to add and/or delete
    > files.
    >
    > "Jason K. Lambrou" wrote:
    >

    > > M. Rajesh wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > What is wrong when you try to access the drive through Windows Explorer.
    > > > This is faster and u have a graphical interface to work with. Why do u want
    > > > to use the Dos Prompt.
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > > M. Rajesh
    > > > .Net and Windows Shell MVP
    > > > www.winxpsolution.com

    > > I just tried to delete it in SAFE MODE and I got the following message"Data
    > > error
    > > cyclic redundancy check" Thanks

USB Drive Microsoft Windows XP