Upgrade to XP Pro from Win ME

I am preparing to upgrade to XP Pro on my home computer
and would greatly appreciate some advice to avoid the
major headaches.

I have added memory so am now at 320 (I will be bumping
this up to 512 in another month)

I have backed up all important information to disk
(pictures and documents)

Are there any other areas I should be concerned about and
what would be the best way to start?

If you prefer my email address is swaghook@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance

Carrie
2 answers Last reply
More about upgrade

    Greetings --

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and *hard drives*) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Carrie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am preparing to upgrade to XP Pro on my home computer
    > and would greatly appreciate some advice to avoid the
    > major headaches.
    >
    > I have added memory so am now at 320 (I will be bumping
    > this up to 512 in another month)
    >
    > I have backed up all important information to disk
    > (pictures and documents)
    >
    > Are there any other areas I should be concerned about and
    > what would be the best way to start?
    >
    > If you prefer my email address is swaghook@yahoo.com
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Carrie

    Bruce --

    Thank you for your advice. I will be starting the
    process this evening and plan on running the Upgrade
    Advisor first. Here is some additional information on my
    system at home:

    Gateway Flexatask? Essential (a friend has the same
    system and upgraded to XP home)
    Currently - Windows Me
    Memory - 320
    Processor - Intel Celeron

    1st step after the upgrade is to make all the necessary
    updates. Will also be moving to Cable modem this week.

    Carrie swaghook94@yahoo.com

    us;Q316639

    >Upgrading to Windows XP
    >http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    >

    >Bruce Chambers
    >--
    >Help us help you:
    >http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    >You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    count on
    >having both at once. - RAH
    >

    >"Carrie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> I am preparing to upgrade to XP Pro on my home computer
    >> and would greatly appreciate some advice to avoid the
    >> major headaches.
    >>
    >> I have added memory so am now at 320 (I will be bumping
    >> this up to 512 in another month)
    >>
    >> I have backed up all important information to disk
    >> (pictures and documents)
    >>
    >> Are there any other areas I should be concerned about
    and
    >> what would be the best way to start?
    >>
    >> If you prefer my email address is swaghook@yahoo.com
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance