Upgrade to XP Pro from Win ME

August 9, 2004 11:29:51 PM

I am preparing to upgrade to XP Pro on my home computer
and would greatly appreciate some advice to avoid the
major headaches.

I have added memory so am now at 320 (I will be bumping
this up to 512 in another month)

I have backed up all important information to disk
(pictures and documents)

Are there any other areas I should be concerned about and
what would be the best way to start?

If you prefer my email address is swaghook@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance

Carrie

More about : upgrade pro win

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 1:55:10 AM

Greetings --

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and *hard drives*) that will
still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Carrie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am preparing to upgrade to XP Pro on my home computer
> and would greatly appreciate some advice to avoid the
> major headaches.
>
> I have added memory so am now at 320 (I will be bumping
> this up to 512 in another month)
>
> I have backed up all important information to disk
> (pictures and documents)
>
> Are there any other areas I should be concerned about and
> what would be the best way to start?
>
> If you prefer my email address is swaghook@yahoo.com
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Carrie
August 10, 2004 12:08:24 PM

Bruce --

Thank you for your advice. I will be starting the
process this evening and plan on running the Upgrade
Advisor first. Here is some additional information on my
system at home:

Gateway Flexatask? Essential (a friend has the same
system and upgraded to XP home)
Currently - Windows Me
Memory - 320
Processor - Intel Celeron

1st step after the upgrade is to make all the necessary
updates. Will also be moving to Cable modem this week.

Carrie swaghook94@yahoo.com

us;Q316639

>Upgrading to Windows XP
>http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
>

>Bruce Chambers
>--
>Help us help you:
>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
count on

!