making an external usb2 hard drive into ntfs from fat 32

Hiya ,I have just purchased a 160 gigabyte external usb2 hard disk drive
which keeps giving me error messages regarding file limit sizes when trying
to copy my old movie and video files for conversion to dvd.I am told by a
friend of a friend that I need to reformat the external disk to run ntfs file
system.Unfortunately neither my friend nor myself are experienced enough with
pc's and such to know how to go about this task.I hope therefore you may be
able to assist me and many thanks in advance for same.
I am running windows xp home edition .
many thanks in anticipation..

There are some choices:
1. Use the disk manager to make the drive NTFS. I usually access the disk
manager by right-clicking on the desktop My Computer icon, selecting "manage"
and then selecting "disk manager" when the Management Console comes up.
Right click on the drive in the right pane and select "format" and choose
NTFS. You'll lose your data doing it this way; so, if you don't want to risk
losing data, choose option 2.

2. Do it from the command line. This information from doing an XP search
with "ntfs command" as the search criteria. To convert a volume to NTFS from
the command prompt: Open Command Prompt (Start > All Programs > Run > cmd).
In the command prompt window, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs. For
example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs
format. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

"jedhighnite.." wrote:

> Hiya ,I have just purchased a 160 gigabyte external usb2 hard disk drive
> which keeps giving me error messages regarding file limit sizes when trying
> to copy my old movie and video files for conversion to dvd.I am told by a
> friend of a friend that I need to reformat the external disk to run ntfs file
> system.Unfortunately neither my friend nor myself are experienced enough with
> pc's and such to know how to go about this task.I hope therefore you may be
> able to assist me and many thanks in advance for same.
> I am running windows xp home edition .
> many thanks in anticipation..

TRENDING THREADS