Removing "Verizon Wireless" banner from screen of LG 4600

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 13, 2004 11:46:22 PM

I just got a new LG 4600 phone; the "Verizon Wireless" banner on the
screen clutters up a neat wallpaper I have. Any idea how to remove it?
I can add (and remove) my own banner but have found no way to remove
the pre-installed Verizon banner. No offense to Verizon, but their
logo is on the phone's front, back, and inside; we can both live
without it on the screen. Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 14, 2004 10:58:47 AM

On 13 May 2004 19:46:22 -0700, dhsack@comcast.net (David) wrote:

>I just got a new LG 4600 phone; the "Verizon Wireless" banner on the
>screen clutters up a neat wallpaper I have. Any idea how to remove it?
>I can add (and remove) my own banner but have found no way to remove
>the pre-installed Verizon banner. No offense to Verizon, but their
>logo is on the phone's front, back, and inside; we can both live
>without it on the screen. Thanks for any help.

The "Verizon Wireless" is actually to notify the user that they are in
a Verizon Wireless area. If you're on the America's Choice plan, this
banner may change to say "Verizon Wireless", "Extended Network" or
"Roaming". Its not just for advertisement, but to let you know what
you'll be charged if you make or receive a call.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 14, 2004 8:33:05 PM

"David" <dhsack@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just got a new LG 4600 phone; the "Verizon Wireless" banner on the
> screen clutters up a neat wallpaper I have. Any idea how to remove it?
> I can add (and remove) my own banner but have found no way to remove
> the pre-installed Verizon banner. No offense to Verizon, but their
> logo is on the phone's front, back, and inside; we can both live
> without it on the screen. Thanks for any help.

I'm curious Davey-- what the hell difference does "wallpaper" make and how
can it be "neat"? It's a damn cell phone for cryin' out loud-- a
communications appliance!

OK, go back to your homework now-- you're mother is coming in the door...

Dan'l
Related resources
May 14, 2004 9:16:04 PM

"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote in message
> "David" <dhsack@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I just got a new LG 4600 phone; the "Verizon Wireless" banner on the
> > screen clutters up a neat wallpaper I have. Any idea how to remove it?
> > I can add (and remove) my own banner but have found no way to remove
> > the pre-installed Verizon banner. No offense to Verizon, but their
> > logo is on the phone's front, back, and inside; we can both live
> > without it on the screen. Thanks for any help.
>
> I'm curious Davey-- what the hell difference does "wallpaper" make and how
> can it be "neat"? It's a damn cell phone for cryin' out loud-- a
> communications appliance!
>
> OK, go back to your homework now-- you're mother is coming in the door...
>
> Dan'l

Dan,

Cause everyone knows seeing your wallpaper is more important than knowing if
you are in your calling area or not. :p

KC
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 14, 2004 9:50:05 PM

_KC_ <kc@kc.com> wrote:

> Cause everyone knows seeing your wallpaper is more important than knowing if
> you are in your calling area or not. :p

There is still a roaming indicator on the phone. The banner isn't necessary.
It just makes it easier to tell if you're in coverage or not.

a b F Wireless
May 14, 2004 11:06:47 PM

Get a data cable, get BitPim.. Download eri.bin get a Hex-editor.. retype it
or space it all out.
Save the file, and upload it back to the phone. Voila!

"David" <dhsack@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just got a new LG 4600 phone; the "Verizon Wireless" banner on the
> screen clutters up a neat wallpaper I have. Any idea how to remove it?
> I can add (and remove) my own banner but have found no way to remove
> the pre-installed Verizon banner. No offense to Verizon, but their
> logo is on the phone's front, back, and inside; we can both live
> without it on the screen. Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 14, 2004 11:07:03 PM

Or you could delete it.. period!
"David" <dhsack@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just got a new LG 4600 phone; the "Verizon Wireless" banner on the
> screen clutters up a neat wallpaper I have. Any idea how to remove it?
> I can add (and remove) my own banner but have found no way to remove
> the pre-installed Verizon banner. No offense to Verizon, but their
> logo is on the phone's front, back, and inside; we can both live
> without it on the screen. Thanks for any help.
May 15, 2004 5:24:03 PM

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> _KC_ <kc@kc.com> wrote:
>
> > Cause everyone knows seeing your wallpaper is more important than
knowing if
> > you are in your calling area or not. :p
>
> There is still a roaming indicator on the phone. The banner isn't
necessary.
> It just makes it easier to tell if you're in coverage or not.

Yeah I know that. Verizon's whole reasoning behind the banner was to try
and make it easier for people to know since so many can't seem to understand
blinking or solid "R" on the screen. Its like "Roaming Indicator for
Dummies". :p

KC
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 16, 2004 5:05:50 AM

Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
> _KC_ <kc@kc.com> wrote:
>
>> Cause everyone knows seeing your wallpaper is more important than knowing if
>> you are in your calling area or not. :p
>
> There is still a roaming indicator on the phone. The banner isn't necessary.
> It just makes it easier to tell if you're in coverage or not.

I removed the "Verizon Wireless" banner on my VX6000, but left the roaming
ones in, which works just as well to tell if I'm roaming or not (no banner,
no roaming).

Removing the banner is not for those with a weak stomach, though. You have
to hook up the phone to a computer, pull a file (eri.bin) off the phone,
hex-edit the file, replace "Verizon Wireless" with spaces, then send the
file back to the phone, overwriting the original. Obviously the risk of
damaging the phone is very real if you're not confident that you know what
you're doing.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
May 17, 2004 2:54:47 AM

I would keep a copy of the original eri.bin file, though. In case you want
to put it back.

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> _KC_ <kc@kc.com> wrote:
>
> > Cause everyone knows seeing your wallpaper is more important than
knowing if
> > you are in your calling area or not. :p
>
> There is still a roaming indicator on the phone. The banner isn't
necessary.
> It just makes it easier to tell if you're in coverage or not.
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP:
0xE3AE35ED
sjsobol@JustThe.net
> Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
> "someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out
and buy
> slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows
98/2000/2003
!