Celeron 1.1GHZ on Chaintech 6VJD

spyclone

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
Hi,

I have a small problem with a processor and mobo i acquired recently. It's a Chaintech 6VJD socket 370 Mobo and an Intel Celeron 1.1ghz.

The specs of the mobo list processors upto 1.2ghz;
Possible bus frequencies are 66 Mhz, 100 Mhz, 133 Mhz and auto.
Possible multipliers range from 4 to 8 with .5 steps.

When i set the multiplier to 8, freq to 133 Mhz (for a total of 1064 Mhz) the pc will not boot. Neither when I set the freq. to auto.

The screen stays blank but I hear the p going through a part of the boot sequence , i.e. spinning up HD and checking FDD. It does not give the customary 'beep' when booting either.

Anyone have an idea as to what might be wrong ??

Further specs :
Memory = pc2100/266 Mhz - 256 MB
Video : Matrox Milennium G200 AGP
I must add that the powersupply was previously used to power an AMD-K6 III 333 Mhz. Could it be that this PS is not sufficient for my new board (AGP-slot related maybe ???)???

Any suggestions are welcome at :
spyclone@pandora.be

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
"We should not that, at this point, the 6VJD has NOT been qualified for upcoming Tualatin (Coppermine-T) Pentium III processors, which is something to keep in mind, if you’re buying now, and may want to upgrade later." <i><A HREF="http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1314.4" target="_new">http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1314.4</A></i>

There are no 1.2's that are compatable. There WAS a 1.1 that WAS compatable based on the Coppermine core, but it's no longer in production. The Celerons that will work all have 128k cache, you probably have a 256k version.

All these Celerons are weak processors anyway. The fastest CPU you can use is the PIII 1000EB. The only way to tell if a PIII at that speed is the compatable Coppermine or the incompatable Tualatin version is by the core voltage, it's labled on both the box and the CPU. If it's 1.65v or more (usually 1.75v now), it's Coppermine. If it's 1.50v or less, it's Tualatin (incompatable). Some people say "FC-PGA" or "FC-PGA2", but this is a bad analogy now that Intel is putting the heat spreader on both versions.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>