Sign in with
Your question

In-Game Recording

Last response: in Video Games
July 20, 2007 4:41:24 AM

I currently play a game called Americas Army. I am trying to make a movie using the program FRAPS.
In game i get about 80 fps according to fraps, all settings maximized.
However, as soon as i turn on fraps it goes all the way down to 10fps, which is terrible quality. I recoreded my cpu usage and it never got about 54% with the expetion of a 5 sec spike to 74%, i ran fraps for about 90 sec. I maintained 10fps the entire time. Any suggestions on how to improve my fps, it just dosen't seem like the cpu is capping my recording abilities i am not sure what is.

My system:
Athlon 64x2 3800+
Geforce 8800 328mb
Creative SB-XFi
2gb Ram

More about : game recording

July 20, 2007 8:14:55 PM

IS there anymore system info i would need to give you. Also, if you recommend any other software fro recording that would be helpful... but from what i've heard fraps is the best.
July 20, 2007 8:36:19 PM

We used Fraps for some of the DX10 reviews we did for Call of Juarez (for some reason it wouldn't work on Lost Planet) and it lowered the frame rates a few notches but not THAT much. Very strange. My guess is the CPU isn't limiting the recording abilities and that it could have something to do with the individual game. Try running Fraps on another title; like I said, it didn't work for Lost Planet but worked fine for Call of Juarez.
Related resources
July 20, 2007 11:35:03 PM

Try lowering screen res. I've noticed that with certain games these files become ridiculously large when recording. The slowdown could be due to slow harddrive speed writing recorded files away or maybe hogging system memory. There is also an option in fraps where you can record half size, don't know if quality is still good enough for what you're trying to do though, so you'd have to try it.

GL.
July 20, 2007 11:49:54 PM

I've tried reducing res to 800x600 and got an increase of about 2-3 fps...so not much of a difference. I also have tried the half screen, i would be fine with this but there was not any noticable increase in recording abiliity. This is why i am stumped... everything should be working but there is a x-factor somewhere slowing me down. I've run every spyware, virus, etc scans known to man and eliminated all threats as far as that goes. My next thought is some of my hardware may be failing but i'm not sure how to tell.
July 21, 2007 2:25:39 AM

Hey, I have fraps, but when i try to record it laggs everything. I also used to play america's army, it has a build in recording funcion.

DemoRec <filename> - Records the demo
DemoPlay <filename> - Plays back the demo file
StopDemo - Stops the recording

Try it, it should be alot less laggier. Your hardware isnt failing it just fraps. To do the commands and alot others hit the ` key below esc and type em in.

Cant figure out how to quote from a dif site, so it can origonaly be found here http://forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?t=127
!