F.E.A.R. stutters and hiccups?

Eucharistadorer

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Hi all, I'm new.

I need help with a problem. I can't figure out what this might be.

So I was playing F.E.A.R, and every time I would go around a corner or a new portion of the level would come up, the game would hiccup/stutter. I have everything maxed. Would this be my gpu or my cpu? I just installed the motherboard and cpu. Thanks

Here's my system: GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, ATI Radeon x1900XT 512, 3 Gb DDR2 400mhz, 250 Gb SATA HDD.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
HI, finally another F.E.A.R. player, make sure you get into the MultiPlayer, PM me if you are up for a game (you'll probally win)

Anywho, however old F.E.A.R. is these days it still a comprahensive game and even with you decent GPU to run it MAX is still a push, Lowever GPU setting (ie lighting) you'll notice he differnece, however make sure you keep thinks like shell casings and sparks, riccohe ect on for the single player as that really makes the game. However the game look fine in anything down to 800*600 so dont feel dumb to run it at that.

If you have Xfire open at the same time there is a kown bug that lowers frame rate, if you do disable ingame chat.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I've never owned a 1900xt but it sure seems like you've got enough of a system to run FEAR hitch free.

I was able to run FEAR almost maxed out at 1024x768 with a 7600 GT with no stutter.

What happens when you run the performance test and what res do play it at? I've heard of that stutter problem on FEAR. Sometimes just disabling Vsync can clear it up.

Eucharistadorer

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
The peformance test comes up with 69 fps average with soft shadows off, and 40 average with them on.I don't have vsync on.I play it at 1680x1050-widescreen.

I don't have xfire, so that wouldn't be it. Could any of my system be faulty in any way, to cause this? Or is it just the game acting weird? I have the latest drivers for my gpu, so that's not it either. The cpu was installed a week ago. When cpu's go faulty, what happens? Just so I know.

Someone told me on another forum, that my ram speed is probably too low. Should I upgrade it to like 800 or 1066 for a performance boost?

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Everything - all graphical options including res. I really don't think you have to play lower than 1024x768 in any case and if you adjust some things you should be able to play higher pretty easily.

I had to experiment a lot to get the perfect balance for the 7600 GT. If I went even a bit too far it would get really choppy.

Textures was an issue for the 7600 GT but you have 512 mb.

TRENDING THREADS