Problems with my PC slowing right down

August 11, 2004 4:41:02 PM

HI shipmates
My son has changed my system from win 98se to win xp pro and my system has
slowed down that much it would be cheaper to get a flight to America and ask
old Bill what the answer is to my probs!!!
I will list my system here and then tell what my prob seems to be:
O/system winxp pro
pentium3 chip (786 approx)
386 memory approx
10bg H/drive
etc etc
My problem has been a remarkable slowing down of my system (I thought it
would be faster)! when I am not doing anything my h/drive is working hard!
I use AVG pro anti virus and Sygate for my fire wall.
-- I looked at the running apps with my firewall and these entries were
running which I dont know about
c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe
c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
My questions are:
1 should all these be running?
2 how do I speed my system up?
3 can you please tell me what to do or is there any way you can look to see
that I have my system set up correctly?!
Please help !
Kind regards

Thanks!
Pat

More about : problems slowing

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 7:03:02 PM

Your questions in the order you asked:
1. Yes, they should all be running. They are part of your operating system.
2. First thing I'd do is to make sure that there is no malware (spyware,
adware, or trojans) on my system. For spyware/adware, download one of the
freeware spyware cleaners such as SpyBot Search & Destroy or AdAware
(http://security.kolla.de/) and
(http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/). These can definitely slow
down your machine. Once you've cleaned up the PC, there are all sorts of
sites that give hints about speeding it up.
3. Here's a Microsoft Knowledge Base article that might help you:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941&Product=winxp.
It tells you how to set it up and has some links for further information.
In addition, not all hardware that works with Win9x will work with XP. It's
a trade-off: you get flexible or you get stable and seldom both at the same
time. 98 was flexible but XP is more stable. Check your device manager to
see if you've got any problems listed.

"pirate" wrote:

> HI shipmates
> My son has changed my system from win 98se to win xp pro and my system has
> slowed down that much it would be cheaper to get a flight to America and ask
> old Bill what the answer is to my probs!!!
> I will list my system here and then tell what my prob seems to be:
> O/system winxp pro
> pentium3 chip (786 approx)
> 386 memory approx
> 10bg H/drive
> etc etc
> My problem has been a remarkable slowing down of my system (I thought it
> would be faster)! when I am not doing anything my h/drive is working hard!
> I use AVG pro anti virus and Sygate for my fire wall.
> -- I looked at the running apps with my firewall and these entries were
> running which I dont know about
> c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
> c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe
> c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
> My questions are:
> 1 should all these be running?
> 2 how do I speed my system up?
> 3 can you please tell me what to do or is there any way you can look to see
> that I have my system set up correctly?!
> Please help !
> Kind regards
>
> Thanks!
> Pat
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 7:05:02 AM

hi new community.
i also have a problem with my windows xp system;being slower than the
slowest turtle.i don't know if i have too much junk on it or if it is
infected.was thinking about saving my personal files and wiping my system
clean to reinput windows xp with disc's that came with my computer.i have a
presario 1500 laptop.i am quite computer illiterate.please help.
thank you.
puncho!

!