Can one play Wii on an LCD Monitor?

daverimer

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
So, I'd like to hook my Wii up to my ViewSonic LCD Monitor. Is this possible?

I have the composite and component cable for the Wii. The monitor has VGA and DVI inputs.

I guess I need to know if there is a DVI/VGA to component hook up.

Has anybody tried this??? Thanks all!

daverimer

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Well I found a similar question that sort of helps...

Question from DTdude
"I got my LG L204WT monitor about a week ago and I'm wondering if it's possible to hook up a Nintendo Wii to it. The monitor itself doesn't have s-video or composites inputs, but my computer, HP M7580N HTPC has a few composite and s-video inputs. It's a home theater pc, but I'm not sure if it's capable of detecting various inputs on my computer. My computer's running Windows XP media center edition. It has its own remote (with TV buttons, DVD menu..., It can record TV, watch DVD, I'm not too familiar with the remote in general), firewire ports, s-video and composite inputs. Has anyone tested a wii with a pc that has composite and s-video inputs?

Please let me know if it's possible for my monitor and/or PC to run the Wii."

Answer from Urbanight23
"It all depends. The problem with most pc tv programs is that they have a delay of a few seconds so that they can record video, or let you jump back a few seconds. I tried to play my old nes with ATI's tv program, and the delay made it unplayable. If you find a program that does not produce any delay, ie does not have a buffer, then it is playable. I used the program tv time (sorry, linux program) to play wii last weekend, everything worked just fine, so it is possible. I hooked up the rca cables that came with the wii to my tv tuner card, and started playing. I have never used Window media center, so I dont know if it will produce a delay or not.

Here is a way to test it: Connect your cable to the computer. Enable every input and output volume that you have. If you hear double audio, or an echo, then there is a buffer present, and it will not work with that particular program.

There is another way. Viewsonic used to make a cabletv box that allowed you to switch between cable and pc with the push of a button. It wont allow you to watch tv on your desktop, or record tv, but simply acted as a switch, or a way to give your monitor a cable, and rca jacks. This will work for the wii."