Mohterboard, Power Supply or Sound card?

Quintus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
I purchased a antec true power supply 430 watt on 9/21/2002.

I installed it in a Antec case model # SX-830.

I have a Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus motherboard with a AMD XP 1700 chip.

The system worked fine with the existing 300 watt power supply that came with the case.

I was planning to purchase a new video card that required a 350 watt power supply so I purchased the new power supply.

When I installed the 430 watt power supply it caused the following problem.

During the process of a clean install of XP the computer would lock up during hardware detection.

It did not and still does not do this with the 300 watt power supply.

I was able to recover from the lockup and finish installing xp

When trying to install drivers for a Creative labs Audigy sound card the computer would lock up.

I could install the driver for all other devices but the Sound blaster card.

I went back and installed the 300 watt power supply and the Sound blaster drivers installed perfectly with no lock up.

I then performed a clean install again with the old power supply and experienced no problems. I continued to install all drivers to my components with no problems what so ever.

I then tried installing the new power supply again.

When windows booted up it locked up and there was a ear piercing screaming sound from my speakers.

I pulled out the sound blaster and the computer booted up fine.

I then put the old power supply back in and the sound blaster and had no problem.

I exchanged the new power supply with another but I had the same problem with it as well.

Can you help me?

Brian Knapp

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by quintus on 09/30/02 10:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That sounds REALLY weird! The fact you have exchanged the power supply, yet get the same results is strange.

Can you put in the new power supply and go into the BIOS and look at the voltages... does everything look OK there?

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Quintus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
All voltages look fine.

I am now however having issues with the other PCI cards in my computer.

I have a USB 2.0 controller and a 56k modem.

Both are exihibitng issues like the sound card.

This makes me wonder is I have a bad motherboard or is the power supply too powerful?

All the components work fine with the 300 watt pws, so I am clueless.

Thanks for the reply

Brian Knapp