Requirements

I am thinking of upgrading to XP from 98SE. According to the maker of my
computer, XP is a recommended upgrade, but there sales say that the
motherboard will not support it. What I have is a Jabil BX Motherboard R1,
Pent. III 500 mgh processor, 384 RAM 100Mgh 4-clock CL=2. Will Xp work or
not. If not, how can I find out what type of board I can upgrade to?

Your system is rather outdated. I highly recommend a new one with at least a
1Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM as well as a video card with at least 64MB of
on board memory. This will get XP started for you at a level that will please
you with peformance and quality. I do not recommend upgrades but would rather
see everyone do a clean install of XP by purchasing a copy. Not that I want
to line MS's pockets either. The price is not that much difference but a
clean install is a whole lot better than any uprgrade could every be. {]:~)

Download and run the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx

Description of the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726&Product=winxp

How to prepare to upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316639&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
> Your system is rather outdated. I highly recommend a new one with at least
> 1Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM as well as a video card with at least 64MB
> of
> on board memory. This will get XP started for you at a level that will
> please
> you with peformance and quality. I do not recommend upgrades but would
> rather
> see everyone do a clean install of XP by purchasing a copy. Not that I
> want
> to line MS's pockets either. The price is not that much difference but a
> clean install is a whole lot better than any uprgrade could every be.
> {]:~)

You can complete a clean install using an Upgrade version providing you have
a qualifying product to satisfy the Upgrade version's request at the start
of Setup. The OP likely has a Windows 98 SE CD and there is a significant
difference in cost between a Full retail version and an Upgrade version.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Yes you can install and run XP on your system. You will likely need to
search out some XP drivers for some of your hardware. Keep this link handy
to download a great little app that will help you identify your system
components
Everest http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en
also keep this one close at hand www.driverguide.com

You might want to turn off some of the eye-candy after you install . There
are a few places to look.
a) Go to System Properties->Advanced Tab->click Performance "Settings
button" and uncheck the animation stuff like "fade ...." and "slide ...."
b) Go to Display Properties->Appearance Tab->click "Effects button" and
uncheck "Use the following transition...." You might want to uncheck the box
that smoothes screen fonts but some like it left on.
c) If you upgrade over your current Win 98 SE setup make certain you plan
for success and uninstall all disk management tools including things like
GoBack, Norton Utilities, any Anti Virus software, any CD writing software,
undo any tweaks made by tweaking programs and take heed of what the Upgrade
Advisor tells you at the beginning of the Upgrade. And of course backup
important data then do a thorough disk cleanup and defrag before upgrading.
An over the top Upgrade from Windows 98 to XP will retain your FAT32 file
system. ****IMPORTANT ***** If you decide at a later time to change to NTFS
then read Alex Nichol's page on this first
http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm
d) If you perform a clean install, and that can be done with an XP Upgrade
version, then you may as well format as NTFS. In this case you should turn
off Indexing Services after you install. Right click your C drive icon and
select Properties. Uncheck the box to turn off Indexing and ensure that you
select for all subdirectories too. Indexing can really bog down performance
on low end systems.

Here is Upgrade info http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
Here is Clean install info http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

I run Windows XP with no problems on a PII-500 with 256MB RAM. Don't have
high expectations for a speed demon on your system but there is no reason to
think it can't be run successfully.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"ScttLee" <ScttLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am thinking of upgrading to XP from 98SE. According to the maker of my
> computer, XP is a recommended upgrade, but there sales say that the
> motherboard will not support it. What I have is a Jabil BX Motherboard
> R1,
> Pent. III 500 mgh processor, 384 RAM 100Mgh 4-clock CL=2. Will Xp work or
> not. If not, how can I find out what type of board I can upgrade to?

This is like putting a V12 jaguar engine in a Volkswagen Beetle frame. Sure
it can be done but you won't get the most out of the engine and may in fact
be entirely disappointed in the results as the Beetle frame can't and won't
handle all that power. Sure you could always run the engine in first or
second gear and just putt around but if you are going to go to all the effort
to upgrade instead of doing a clean install why not spend a little more money
and get a good machine that will allow you to use all of XP's capabilities to
their max.