creating back-up disk

August 11, 2004 9:13:01 PM

On windows xp I was told that if you right clicked on the c drive icon and
pick properties I could find a "create back-up" area. I don't have one there
and can't seem to find any anywhere. How can I create a back-up disk using
XP home edition? Thanks to anyone who can help!

More about : creating back disk

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 11:01:06 PM

NTBackup is not installed with XP Home, but it's on the XP CD. Unless you
have an OEM CD.

HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302894

How to Use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP
Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320820

NOTE: ASR (Automated System Restore) does not function and is not supported
on Windows XP Home edition.

An Error Message Is Displayed When You Attempt to Use the Automated System
Recovery Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302700

How to use Backup to restore files and folders on your computer in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309340

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:EEF6AE3E-A15D-4099-8A1F-0CA26D53F9C1@microsoft.com,
Novice <Novice@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> On windows xp I was told that if you right clicked on the c drive
> icon and pick properties I could find a "create back-up" area. I
> don't have one there and can't seem to find any anywhere. How can I
> create a back-up disk using XP home edition? Thanks to anyone who
> can help!
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 12:57:39 AM

Hi,

The backup utility is not installed by default in WinXP Home, and some
manufacturers do not include it at all (they don't have to, it's an optional
"value add" component). To install it from the retail CD, see:

HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Novice" <Novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On windows xp I was told that if you right clicked on the c drive icon and
> pick properties I could find a "create back-up" area. I don't have one
> there
> and can't seem to find any anywhere. How can I create a back-up disk
> using
> XP home edition? Thanks to anyone who can help!
August 12, 2004 12:14:57 PM

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:13:01 -0700, Novice
<Novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>On windows xp I was told that if you right clicked on the c drive icon and
>pick properties I could find a "create back-up" area. I don't have one there
>and can't seem to find any anywhere. How can I create a back-up disk using
>XP home edition? Thanks to anyone who can help!

I use http://www.bootitng.com/

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:21:03 PM

Everyone seemed to address the fact that NT Backup can be found on your XP
disk or perhaps your recovery disk in the valueadd\msft\ntbackup folder but
they seem to have ignored your "backup to disk" statement. NT Backup does not
have disk spanning capabilities and you will not be able to save your backup
to a CD. For that you need third party software that allows disk spanning
(use of multiple disks) or you need to make backups that are around 620 MB or
less for most CD\RW's. {]:~)
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 2:47:56 PM

I have not seen any system that backs up Windows effectively.
The Solution I use is simpler.
Twin Hard drives.
Run Drive Image of my entire installation to second drive.
If Windows dies, it takes me four minutes to replace it and that includes
all my other software.
!