creating back-up disk

On windows xp I was told that if you right clicked on the c drive icon and
pick properties I could find a "create back-up" area. I don't have one there
and can't seem to find any anywhere. How can I create a back-up disk using
XP home edition? Thanks to anyone who can help!
5 answers Last reply
More about creating back disk

    NTBackup is not installed with XP Home, but it's on the XP CD. Unless you
    have an OEM CD.

    HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302894

    How to Use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP
    Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320820

    NOTE: ASR (Automated System Restore) does not function and is not supported
    on Windows XP Home edition.

    An Error Message Is Displayed When You Attempt to Use the Automated System
    Recovery Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302700

    How to use Backup to restore files and folders on your computer in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309340

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:EEF6AE3E-A15D-4099-8A1F-0CA26D53F9C1@microsoft.com,
    Novice <Novice@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > On windows xp I was told that if you right clicked on the c drive
    > icon and pick properties I could find a "create back-up" area. I
    > don't have one there and can't seem to find any anywhere. How can I
    > create a back-up disk using XP home edition? Thanks to anyone who
    > can help!

    Hi,

    The backup utility is not installed by default in WinXP Home, and some
    manufacturers do not include it at all (they don't have to, it's an optional
    "value add" component). To install it from the retail CD, see:

    HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Novice" <Novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On windows xp I was told that if you right clicked on the c drive icon and
    > pick properties I could find a "create back-up" area. I don't have one
    > there
    > and can't seem to find any anywhere. How can I create a back-up disk
    > using
    > XP home edition? Thanks to anyone who can help!

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:13:01 -0700, Novice
    <Novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >On windows xp I was told that if you right clicked on the c drive icon and
    >pick properties I could find a "create back-up" area. I don't have one there
    >and can't seem to find any anywhere. How can I create a back-up disk using
    >XP home edition? Thanks to anyone who can help!

    I use http://www.bootitng.com/

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    Everyone seemed to address the fact that NT Backup can be found on your XP
    disk or perhaps your recovery disk in the valueadd\msft\ntbackup folder but
    they seem to have ignored your "backup to disk" statement. NT Backup does not
    have disk spanning capabilities and you will not be able to save your backup
    to a CD. For that you need third party software that allows disk spanning
    (use of multiple disks) or you need to make backups that are around 620 MB or
    less for most CD\RW's. {]:~)

    I have not seen any system that backs up Windows effectively.
    The Solution I use is simpler.
    Twin Hard drives.
    Run Drive Image of my entire installation to second drive.
    If Windows dies, it takes me four minutes to replace it and that includes
    all my other software.

Microsoft Windows XP