Your question

Organizing tasks for small IT dept

Tags:
  • Management
  • Phones
  • Business Computing
Last response: in Business Computing
December 13, 2012 10:31:52 PM

What is the best way to organize and prioritize tasks for a small (2 people) IT department? Currently we comb through emails and take phone calls and write priority items on a whiteboard. We're mulling the idea of a ticketing system. Can anyone offer any input on what has worked for you or your business in a similar situation? Its a small business (under 300 people).

More about : organizing tasks small dept

December 13, 2012 10:36:08 PM

You really really need a ticketing system. Our company used RT (http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/) before we got a custom database built. It is essential to have a ticket system no matter how big or small the group is, as soon as one person needs to work on a ticket that the others were working on, you need the history all in one place.

GL
December 13, 2012 10:40:24 PM

Thanks for the advice festerovic. It's worth mentioning that the only reason we are functioning without a ticketing system is because our current IT staff is in close contact so we can keep track of problems verbally in addition to email / phone.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 13, 2012 11:13:45 PM

That's a whole lot of extra work considering everything could be in the ticket system. Less headaches, better service, happy customers = keeping your job!! If you are in the process of growing your dept, I would consider looking into ITIL foundation classes for your staff, it is fairly plug and play and gives some great ideas. - $.02
December 13, 2012 11:32:14 PM

Quick, cheap, easy, and good enough for a two person IT Help/Service Desk:
- http://osticket.com/

You can build more complex systems around it if you have the time.
I doubt a two person team would benefit from that though, but it's the best starting point I can think of.

150 to 1 ratio is excellent, the support that you two provide would cover more than what most class as 'Level 1' support I'd imagine.
December 17, 2012 8:09:28 AM

I think you can try out kanbantool . This is a simple online software for real-time collaboration and tasks sharing.
December 17, 2012 8:36:10 AM

We use Spiceworks which is opensource

Even if someone comes down with a problem verbally we make them email us or we log it ourselves
!