Well I'm back

I created a new account, All my other ones have expired, so that stops me
worrying about whcih char i wanna play (used to have 3 accounts of Chars,
and 3 of items...)

So yeah, back to basics for me, and if you see me around, dont be afraid to
offer a twinking ;o)

See you online

ChazFx (*Uswest)
11 answers Last reply
More about well back

    "Charlie Fox" <IHATESPAMREMOVETOREPLYcpjfox@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in
    message news:1106980184.917253@ftpsrv1...
    >I created a new account, All my other ones have expired, so that stops me
    >worrying about whcih char i wanna play (used to have 3 accounts of Chars,
    >and 3 of items...)
    >
    > So yeah, back to basics for me, and if you see me around, dont be afraid
    > to offer a twinking ;o)
    >
    > See you online
    >
    > ChazFx (*Uswest)

    And while i have your attention, which would people say is least item
    dependant, The Necro or the Pally?

    Seems zons took a beating in v1.10 and Hammerdins or necros are the Go
    now...

    "Charlie Fox" <IHATESPAMREMOVETOREPLYcpjfox@slingshot.co.nz> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:1106981006.800840@ftpsrv1...

    > "Charlie Fox" <IHATESPAMREMOVETOREPLYcpjfox@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in
    > message news:1106980184.917253@ftpsrv1...
    > >I created a new account, All my other ones have expired, so that stops me
    > >worrying about whcih char i wanna play (used to have 3 accounts of Chars,
    > >and 3 of items...)
    > >
    > > So yeah, back to basics for me, and if you see me around, dont be afraid
    > > to offer a twinking ;o)
    > >
    > > See you online
    > >
    > > ChazFx (*Uswest)
    > >

    > And while i have your attention, which would people say is least item
    > dependant, The Necro or the Pally?

    I would go for summoner necro. At least I did that when I started the new
    ladder a few days ago. The equipment is not that great (only sigons shield
    and this lvl20 necro wand is worth mentioning) and he is doing fine in hell
    :o)

    Walt

    --
    -------------
    Europe SC non-ladder

    Charlie Fox wrote:
    > And while i have your attention, which would people say is least item

    > dependant, The Necro or the Pally?
    >
    > Seems zons took a beating in v1.10 and Hammerdins or necros are the
    Go
    > now...

    Actually, AFAIK, LFzons are still pretty powerful and not too
    item-dependant. If you have the knack for trading, LFZon could be a
    good starting char. Do repeated cow runs, collect the gems and trade
    them for items or runes. Pay attention to grey items too, some of these
    have unbeliveable trading value.

    Otherwise, a sorc can also be a legitimate contender for a first char.
    Repeatedly rob normal Mephisto's wallet at ~lvl 45 and nightmare Meph
    at ~lvl 70. Each char level can be reached fairly easily with Baal runs
    in its respective difficulty. Btw, my first char was a meteorb sorc.

    If you like either the necro or the pally. I would probably say the
    necro is easier to play untwinked, even though I haven't tried a pally
    myself. So, onto the skellynecro build. Treat this as addendum to
    others' posts, I'm just a nubbie.

    Stat points progression:
    Early level: put mostly in Str and Vit, once in a while in Ene. You can
    also get away with no point spent in Ene too, but I like to have some
    in order to be able to spam CE. (Note: I built my skellynecro before
    new runewords, now with the Insight stick, you should be able to leave
    Ene at base). With that said, probably Str/Vit: 2/3, 3/2 each level,
    till you get Str around 60 (or whatever it is for Sigon shield). At
    this point, invest some in Vit and save the rest (you never know if you
    ever need more str, more ene, or even more dex).

    Target stat:
    Enough strength for gears, at most 75 energy, base dexterity (or max
    blocking if you are playing with a lot of lag), rest in vitality.

    Skill points progression:
    Get amp at lvl 2. This is your main spell.
    RS until you have around 2-3 skellies.
    1 point in SM.
    Max RS.
    Be sure to be able to get Decrep at clvl 24, or whatever clvl you plan
    to take on Duriel.
    Either get Clay golem and golem mastery, or just continue with SM and
    get the golems later.
    Enter nightmare after SM is maxed. A clay golem may also be helpful
    here to get that first corpse (if you haven't).

    This is where skills are wide open for you to choose. Nightmare may in
    fact be easier than normal.
    I like to go with Attract at this point, for the same reason, to get
    that first corpse, and to direct attention away from your merc/golem.
    Another choice is CE. Your skelly alone can do fast enough work, but CE
    will certainly help.
    Third possibility is 1 point in Revive (need up to Iron Golem, IIRC)
    for skelly's synergy.
    Eventually, you will want to get 1 point in Revive, and a lot of CE
    anyways. In my case, CE is maxed, but this probably overkills.
    You may also want to add a little more to amp to increase its radius,
    but I could get away with just 1 hard point here.

    Enter Hell after you have decent level CE (if you follow my skill
    progression, at lvl 70, you should have around lvl 10 or so CE).
    Now you can do whatever you want with th rest of the skills :)

    Getting bone skill is a good idea if you have Marrowwalk, otherwise
    don't bother since you won't deal enough damage to even tickle the
    baddies (refer to Misfit's post). If you go with bone, then ignore the
    rest of these skill choices.
    More CE is not bad.
    Increase your favorite curse.
    1 point in Fire Golem because he's the cutest of all 4.
    Pump Golem Mastery if you find yourself using Iron Golem often (and the
    IG itself).
    Get more Revives, the more the merrier.
    1 point in each curse. Lower Resist is especially great in a party play
    w/ chars such as sorcs and LFzons. Terror is helpful in doorways and
    other narrow hallways. Attract is my favorite crowd control spell. Dim
    Vision is great for handling Gloams and other ranged-nasties.

    Item selections:
    In general, aim for +skill. The most important resist is Lightning, as
    Gloams are probably the only ones who can reach you (unless you walk in
    front of your pets all the time). If this is your first char, you
    probably want to slap tons of MF gears on him, if that's the case then
    ask Misfit what he has on his necro :)
    Here are some MF gear possibilities that are not awfully hard to
    obtain.
    Head: Harley, Tarn, 3Ptop hat, tiara +summon.
    Body: Skullder, 'Wealth', 4Ptop armor.
    Weapon: Alibaba, Gull, Leoric's, Carin Shard, Gravenspine, Ume Lament,
    blue/yellow with +RS/+SM/etc (can be shopped from normal Drognan).
    Shield: Homunculus, Sigon Shield, Whitstan's guard, Moser's, 'Rhyme'
    (boneshield = light and a decent blocking).
    Belt: Arachnid, Trang, Goldwrap, Nightsmoke.
    Gloves: Chancy, Trang.
    Boots: Marrowwalk, War Trav, Silkweave, Waterwalk.
    Ammy: Blue +summon, yellow +skill/resist.
    Ring: Nagel.

    You can obtain a decent MF setup (Tarn, low Wartrav, mid Chancy,
    Ptop's, Nagels) with around 40 pgems or less; great one
    (Skullder/'Wealth', Wartrav, Chancy, Nagels) around 80-100 pgems;
    awesome one for 960-1440 pgems (Harley, 'Enigma', high Wartrav, perfect
    Chancy, 2 perfect Nagels).

    ------

    So why are you still reading this? Get going and collect all those
    pgems! :)

    "Walt" <wbecke[no-spam}@gmx.at> wrote in message
    > "Charlie Fox" <IHATESPAMREMOVETOREPLYcpjfox@slingshot.co.nz> schrieb im
    > Newsbeitrag news:1106981006.800840@ftpsrv1...
    >>
    >> "Charlie Fox" <IHATESPAMREMOVETOREPLYcpjfox@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in
    >> message news:1106980184.917253@ftpsrv1...
    >> >I created a new account, All my other ones have expired, so that stops
    >> >me
    >> >worrying about whcih char i wanna play (used to have 3 accounts of
    >> >Chars,
    >> >and 3 of items...)
    >> >
    >> > So yeah, back to basics for me, and if you see me around, dont be
    >> > afraid
    >> > to offer a twinking ;o)
    >> >
    >> > See you online
    >> >
    >> > ChazFx (*Uswest)
    >> >

    >> And while i have your attention, which would people say is least item
    >> dependant, The Necro or the Pally?
    >
    > I would go for summoner necro. At least I did that when I started the new
    > ladder a few days ago. The equipment is not that great (only sigons shield
    > and this lvl20 necro wand is worth mentioning) and he is doing fine in
    > hell
    > :o)
    >
    > Walt

    Summoner huh? ic, i've never played one of those, and all my old strategies
    were based on v1.09... Could you give me a breif outline, up to level 40
    what i should be doing skills stats allocations and such......

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:14:12 +1300, "Charlie Fox"
    <IHATESPAMREMOVETOREPLYcpjfox@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

    >Summoner huh? ic, i've never played one of those, and all my old strategies
    >were based on v1.09... Could you give me a breif outline, up to level 40
    >what i should be doing skills stats allocations and such......

    Up to 40? Easy, max skellies and skelly mastery ;-)

    As to stats, what I usually do is put 1 point into vit (duh! Old
    standby for me) and 2 into Energy with each level up, save the rest to
    put where needed for equipment, usually strength, but playing SP
    "pure" I never know what my end-game equipment is going to be. I'm
    sure someone else will come up with a better strategy for these ;-)

    ald
    "Knowledge is Power"
    VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
    Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
    Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
    Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
    Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
    Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
    Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
    Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
    Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
    Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
    BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
    Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
    Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
    CotSRSig #16

    > Summoner huh? ic, i've never played one of those, and all my old
    strategies
    > were based on v1.09... Could you give me a breif outline, up to level 40
    > what i should be doing skills stats allocations and such......

    As ald said: max mastery and skeletons (skeletons first), 1 in Amplify
    Damage, 1 in Decrepify for bosses, 1 in corpse explosion (enough for me,
    others like to max it), 1 in bonearmor (to survive the first hit :o) ).

    Further on I maxed clay golem too. It works great. 1 point in summon resist
    and golem mastery. Thats it.

    Stats (my build)
    97 str (skulders req)
    ~150 dex (high block)
    ~100 energy (enough to raise the army)
    rest in vitality

    HTH Walt

    --
    -------------

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:12:57 -0500, ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:14:12 +1300, "Charlie Fox"
    ><IHATESPAMREMOVETOREPLYcpjfox@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
    >
    >>Summoner huh? ic, i've never played one of those, and all my old strategies
    >>were based on v1.09... Could you give me a breif outline, up to level 40
    >>what i should be doing skills stats allocations and such......
    >
    >Up to 40? Easy, max skellies and skelly mastery ;-)

    A few points in CE is also very useful, and he will likely need a few
    curses, especially Amp and Decrep.

    >As to stats, what I usually do is put 1 point into vit (duh! Old
    >standby for me) and 2 into Energy with each level up,

    ?? He's playing 1.10, not 1.09. He can always just buy mana, and
    consequently needs no points in energy. My _ironman_ summoner
    _couldn't_ buy mana, and he still had few problems with it --
    basically only when he was spamming CE.

    >save the rest to
    >put where needed for equipment, usually strength,

    IMO just go to 60 str fairly early in order to be able to wear a 4-row
    belt, then put everything into vit until you need more str to wear
    specific good gear. Energy only if you are super-keen to spam CE
    while still at a low level.

    -- Roy L

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:30:22 GMT, royls@telus.net wrote:

    >A few points in CE is also very useful, and he will likely need a few
    >curses, especially Amp and Decrep.

    Yeah, and more than one point in Amp, at least in my experience.
    Sorry, it was late, I gave a flippant answer ;-)

    >>As to stats, what I usually do is put 1 point into vit (duh! Old
    >>standby for me) and 2 into Energy with each level up,
    >
    >?? He's playing 1.10, not 1.09. He can always just buy mana, and
    >consequently needs no points in energy. My _ironman_ summoner
    >_couldn't_ buy mana, and he still had few problems with it --
    >basically only when he was spamming CE.
    >
    >>save the rest to
    >>put where needed for equipment, usually strength,
    >
    >IMO just go to 60 str fairly early in order to be able to wear a 4-row
    >belt, then put everything into vit until you need more str to wear
    >specific good gear. Energy only if you are super-keen to spam CE
    >while still at a low level.
    >
    >-- Roy L

    Fair enough, I *did* say someone would come up with a better strategy,
    that's just mine. Still, playing my level 18 or so Necro in Nez
    yesterday, down in Andy's new lair, he had to keep running back up to
    his stash to get more mana (and raise another army), but the skelly
    attrition rate down there was atrocious ;-(

    On that special day, ~misfit~, (misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz) said...

    > used points in getting Lower Resists (and two(?) prerequisites) as I was
    > told that, sometimes, neither Amp or Decrep will remove PI whereas LR will.

    Not exactly. I found that there are a few bosses of the Ghost kind that
    have extra Stone Skinand PI, while they are already PI in hell, and that
    stacks so much, that even AD can't cancel it. In these cases I used LR
    because this allowed for my minions to do higher elementary damage. I
    don't know about the effects of CE, though, I couldn't spot the
    difference.

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Walt wrote:
    > >> Summoner huh? ic, i've never played one of those, and all my old
    > >> strategies were based on v1.09... Could you give me a breif
    > >> outline, up to level 40 what i should be doing skills stats
    > >> allocations and such......
    > >>

    > > As ald said: max mastery and skeletons (skeletons first), 1 in Amplify
    > > Damage, 1 in Decrepify for bosses, 1 in corpse explosion (enough for
    > > me, others like to max it), 1 in bonearmor (to survive the first hit
    > > :o) ).
    > >
    > > Further on I maxed clay golem too. It works great. 1 point in summon
    > > resist and golem mastery. Thats it.
    > >
    > > Stats (my build)
    > > 97 str (skulders req)
    > > ~150 dex (high block)
    > > ~100 energy (enough to raise the army)
    > > rest in vitality
    > >
    > > HTH Walt
    >
    > I'd suggest very a similar strategy. My unstoppable lvl 91 skellimancer
    was
    > built very similar to the above.
    >
    > Differences?

    I'd suggest no energy points at all, unless you plan on some Bone
    Spear/Spirit casting as well. I run out of mana right at the 10th skeleton,
    so that works for me :)
    I'm not above drinking a blue pot or 2 if needed :)

    > One point in skelly mastery and Amp at about lvl 12~15. (Hopefully some
    > +skills gear will be around sooner or later, Gravenspine has proved easy
    for
    > me to find, +2 skills. I found it twice the other day, with different
    > characters. A "Spirit" sword would be awesome too and easy to make). Then
    > the rest of the points in RS until maxed, then SM likewise.

    That sounds about right, I should probably try a Spirit sword, thanks for
    the reminder :)

    > No dex.
    > ~70 Energy
    > If you are item-poor consider attaining the strength needed for a
    > four-socket monarch shield for Spirit as well. ~150-odd though

    Yup, that would be pretty cool, I'd definitely go for that if I didn't have
    a Homunculus and Trang's Shield.

    > At higher lvls you'll have a lot of spare points, the above-mentioned
    necro
    > has 10 in CE, about the same in Bone Spear and about 6 in revives. I also
    > used points in getting Lower Resists (and two(?) prerequisites) as I was
    > told that, sometimes, neither Amp or Decrep will remove PI whereas LR
    will.
    > However, in days of gameplay I've never found a boss that didn't drop his
    PI
    > to Amp or Decrep but did to LR so I wouldn't do that again. There's
    another
    > 3 skill points. I got all the golems and use Iron if I find a particularly
    > suitable item, such as the IK maul. This guy is my MF char and is carrying
    > about 450% MF.

    I put 1 point in each golem up to Iron and 1 in SkellyMages and Revives.
    IIRC I get 8 revives after +skills, but I don't use them often (I probably
    will when I start soloing more for MF). I also put a point in LR for
    partying up, the Sorcs don't mind that at all. Plus if you're in a game
    with 4 Sorcs, the Amp or Decrep doesn't help much with the monsters dying
    too quickly :0)

    > You know about the Marrowwalks bug/feature? You can Google this group for
    > details but essentially, if you are fortunate enough to have Marrowwalks
    (If
    > I was to only 'buy' one item for a necro it'd be Marrowwalks) they have a
    > level 33 Bone Prison. As long as you don't put any hard points into BP
    this
    > is a massive synergy for most of the Bone spells, Armour and Spear being
    the
    > ones I'm using. It multiplies their efficacy by a factor of about four.

    ARGH! I'm still trying to get a pair of those!!

    short

    > short wrote:
    > > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message

    > >> I'd suggest very a similar strategy. My unstoppable lvl 91
    > >> skellimancer was built very similar to the above.
    > >>
    > >> Differences?
    > >>
    > > I'd suggest no energy points at all, unless you plan on some Bone
    > > Spear/Spirit casting as well. I run out of mana right at the 10th
    > > skeleton, so that works for me :)
    > > I'm not above drinking a blue pot or 2 if needed :)
    >
    > Yep, no energy works as well, it just depends on how you want to play him.
    > only just took my energy from base to 60 (hard) last night at around lvl
    50.
    > It allows me to spam CE a bit more and use bone spirit on those tenacious
    > bastitch bosses. I keep a row of blues in the belt and use them often.

    I keep 2 reds, 1 purple and 1 blue. And of course I use the blues most
    often. IIRC I'm lvl 76 now, and have 300 mana or so all geared up.

    > >> One point in skelly mastery and Amp at about lvl 12~15. (Hopefully
    > >> some +skills gear will be around sooner or later, Gravenspine has
    > >> proved easy for me to find, +2 skills. I found it twice the other
    > >> day, with different characters. A "Spirit" sword would be awesome
    > >> too and easy to make). Then the rest of the points in RS until
    > >> maxed, then SM likewise.
    > >>
    > > That sounds about right, I should probably try a Spirit sword, thanks
    > > for the reminder :)
    >
    > I'm actually going to give my lvl 55 guy a Spirit sword I think. The FCR
    is
    > great and he's still using a Gravenspine (since level 20). I have an Ume's
    > Lament but it doesn't seem any better to me.

    Well, now I'm mostly running around with an Ali Baba, some Chances, and
    Wartravelers :) On Switch I have a Carin Shard, IIRC so a Spirit Sword of
    some sort would be a bit of an improvement.

    > >> No dex.
    > >> ~70 Energy
    > >> If you are item-poor consider attaining the strength needed for a
    > >> four-socket monarch shield for Spirit as well. ~150-odd though
    > >>
    > > Yup, that would be pretty cool, I'd definitely go for that if I
    > > didn't have a Homunculus and Trang's Shield.
    > >
    > >> At higher lvls you'll have a lot of spare points, the
    > >> above-mentioned necro has 10 in CE, about the same in Bone Spear and
    > >> about 6 in revives. I also used points in getting Lower Resists (and
    > >> two(?) prerequisites) as I was told that, sometimes, neither Amp or
    > >> Decrep will remove PI whereas LR will. However, in days of gameplay
    > >> I've never found a boss that didn't drop his PI to Amp or Decrep but
    > >> did to LR so I wouldn't do that again. There's another 3 skill
    > >> points. I got all the golems and use Iron if I find a particularly
    > >> suitable item, such as the IK maul. This guy is my MF char and is
    > >> carrying about 450% MF.
    > >>
    > > I put 1 point in each golem up to Iron and 1 in SkellyMages and
    > > Revives. IIRC I get 8 revives after +skills, but I don't use them
    > > often (I probably will when I start soloing more for MF). I also put
    > > a point in LR for partying up, the Sorcs don't mind that at all.
    > > Plus if you're in a game with 4 Sorcs, the Amp or Decrep doesn't help
    > > much with the monsters dying too quickly :0)
    >
    > Ok, I'm used to playing solo, MF'ing, so hadn't considered the LR/sorc
    > thing. I just put a point in all the golems and mages just to get a point
    in
    > revives. I wasn't going to bother with all the golems but you have to to
    get
    > revives and, as I *may* use this guy PvP at times I remember Shiftlet
    saying
    > I need a big-ass revive to sit on my face when I teleport as it acts as a
    > buffer.

    ROFL
    Yup I just found a teleport ammy last night, 25 charges I think.
    w000000000t!!

    > >> You know about the Marrowwalks bug/feature? You can Google this
    > >> group for details but essentially, if you are fortunate enough to
    > >> have Marrowwalks (If I was to only 'buy' one item for a necro it'd
    > >> be Marrowwalks) they have a level 33 Bone Prison. As long as you
    > >> don't put any hard points into BP this is a massive synergy for most
    > >> of the Bone spells, Armour and Spear being the ones I'm using. It
    > >> multiplies their efficacy by a factor of about four.
    > >>
    > > ARGH! I'm still trying to get a pair of those!!
    >
    > I mentioned those in my other reply to you. If you don't mind using only
    +1
    > SM's you can have the pair I have *if* I can trade for a pair of +2's. I
    was
    > just going to use the +1's myself but I have the runes to trade for some
    > +2's and if you have none then +1's are far, far better than none at all.
    > That's if you are playing USWest SC Ladder.
    > --
    > ~

    I've been trying to trade for some for a few weeks now, and it seems like no
    one has them. Hell, I even offered a Mal, got one bite, and then the guy
    couldn't find them.

    So if you find someone that is willing to trade some away, see if they have
    a twin :o) I'm not worried about the +skills at all, but the unplanned
    feature of the BP charges :0)

    short

Games Diablo Video Games