gran

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
my question is as follows:

is it possible to change the multiplier for a CPU on a ECS Elitegroup K7S5A motherboard?

and if so, how?

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
NO. It is not possible to change the multiplier. You can only change the FSB in limited options.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Sorry, what do you mean with “to clock”?

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CMRvet on 10/01/02 03:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
OK. But remember that the final CPU speed depend on FSB X Multiplier.
Example:

100 MHz FSB and mult 10 = 1000 MHz CPU
112 MHz FSB and mult 10 = 1120 MHz CPU

gran

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
yeah, but how much will i be able to change that one and how do I do that?

is it possible to get it over 133??

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
That’s different in every system so the best you can do is to benchmark the system, to control the temps and how they behave at idle/load and then overclock a little bit and test the system again.

Anyway you could post your specs in order to give you some extra help (CPU; type and quantity of RAM; Operative system; Heatsink and fan; current system and CPU temps…)

gran

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
MOBO: ECS Elitegroup K7S5A
CPU: AMD Athlon 1800+
RAM: DDR 256Mb
FAN: 5200RPM, heatsink with a copper core
cpu temp: 'bout 40 degrees celcius
system temp: bout 30 degrees celcius

now my question is: how can I change the FSB to something higher than 133/133Mhz ?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gran on 10/02/02 01:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have several choices:

1.) Easiest way to overclock is with a program that modifies BIOS values in Windows, such as SoftFSB or CPU Cool. I have both of these at <A HREF="http://www.crashman.dns2go.com" target="_new">http://www.crashman.dns2go.com</A>. You'll have to figure out which clock generator you have by looking at the model number of the chip itself, which is on the board.
2.) The second easiest way is to use an "Overclockers BIOS". The original "testers" BIOS for the K7S5A had bus speed adjustment, I believe later versions of the "testers BIOS" are actually modified factory releases with part of the code from the original. You would have to find these on the internet by using a search engine.

3.) You can modify the multiplier on the chip itself, this is very difficult to do. You need to find the necessary brige information on a site like THG and join/cut the necessary bridges to make the new multiplier. I think the bridge involved might be L7.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

lpenix

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
go to ocworkbench.com they have a huge forum section on this board, and how to overclock.

I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE,,<--- comes out of the closet screaming i am an AMD bieocth fan boy..

TRENDING THREADS