Its PC gaming really going to end?

theuprightman24

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Bill with your fingers in so many pie$ it shouldn't worry you too much.

But no PC gaming will be around and out live the current range of consoles. Have of the fun in PC gaming is building the bloody thing in the first place - a game in its self!

If there is one thing worse than a PC with problems it would be a PC without problems!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
lol, i've been playing games since the commodore, every year, IS THIS THE YEAR THE PC IS GOING TO DIE?

Atari (in a limited way for 10$ at EB Games and radioscrap lol)
Commodore is not
NES is not
SNES is not
Sega whatever it's called is not
Sega Genesis is not
PSX is not
N64 is not
Gamecube fading..
Xbox fading..
PS2 fading more slowly..
PC is still around

Granted, it's not the same PC I was using back in the 3rd grade. BUT IT'S NOT DEAD, if anything, it will be consoles that will become the next VCRs or betamax players, damn they already are...

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
It will never die. The one thing I am worried about though is there will probably be more console ports to PC, and less dedicated development, and there will be sellouts like Call of Duty 3. How could they NOT make it for PC...a$$holes :kaola:

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
There are more examples farther back, like recently, have you ever seen the original halo movies before m$ bought them.. it looked promising. Then there's m$ again, mechwarrior 4... or is that on pc now?....... The games that go on the pc own though, crysis, not being ported, although theyll modify the engine to suit for the consoles. Ut3 i'm worried about, reminds me too much of unreal championship (xbox), but ill wait judgement till a demo comes out.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
There will always be enthusiasts out there. Lots of them. I have quite some faith in them (At least for the next 10 years). In my opinion, there is no serious gaming on a console. Shooters without mouse? What is that? Unless someone invents the next generation of input devices there is no way a console will even get close to a PC. And look at all the simulations. Console sure is arcade fun, but the real thing is still being released on the PC. No excuses there.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

apparently it wasn't acutually made by the ppl who made cod2 they just used the name to sell more

Yeah, COD3 wasn't made by Activision and the company that did make it wasn't into the PC market. Activision is back for COD4 Modern Warfare. Should be a good one.

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
PC and consoles will cooperate much better than now in near future, but will remain distinct markets for the next 10 years or more. For some games consoles are really good, but for some others they arent much of use, like MMORPG's (my favourite and the biggest online game market) is for PC mainly.

prawcess

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
The few games that have allowed console players to go against PC players, the console players have always, and will always be Ownz0red by the PC kids.

Blap blap

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
My only concern with crossbreeds are that they are usually crippled for the PC. Mostly it's the inability to customize the controls. Lots of time they purposely alter the aiming system. One can only think they do this to "even the playing field" so PC gamers don't slaughter console gamers.

If proper code is implemented, aiming on a mouse is faster and more accurate then with an analog stick.

My biggest fear is that the crossbreed games will end up not using a mouse at all and require a console controller. Anyone ever really think about why the 360 controller works on a PC too....

TyroneShoelaces

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007

Because the primary market for the company that makes the 360 is the PC, and they choose to use an interface for their controllers that they are familiar with (USB)?

Just because the controller works on PC doesn't mean that Microsoft will change the way we PC game.

-TyShoe

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
And let's not complain either - the 360 controller is pretty good. I got one to replace my aging Logitech Dual Action controller and the MS one is a lot better. More comfortable, more robust, hasn't needed recalibrating every 5 minutes and has a nice long cable.

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I've always found myself being a true PC gamer ever since 2nd grade. I've always loved them even now as I am studying to be a tech support guy. When I hear about is PC gaming dead, a new PC game comes out and shuts up the critics then consoles have to get a taste of the action. PC gaming is one of the most unusual forms of gaming I've seen next to card battling. PC parts go out of style in a month, games with huge system requirements, and mods with lights, sirens and smoke machines. It's all crazy but I want so bad to be part of that madness. So, to answer the question, nah it will be here to stay.

williamfontaine

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Unless consoles become powerful enough to support hi-res quality graphics AND use a keyboard/mouse as the main input, there will always be games for PCs.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
If PC gaming is dying then what are ATI and nVidia doing going head to head in the video card wars. 8800 vs. 2900. If the PC was dead, then all they would be doing would be trying to win the contract for either Xbox 720 or the PS4

I agree. As long as we have ATi and NVidia there will always be games to play. When they stop making cards for the PC, then we are in trouble.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I see in all the stores how PC games use to take up a whole wall, now there are regulated to a shelf thats falling apart, a basket, or 2-3 metal shelves. Plus a lot of games either dont make it to North America or get there release dates revolve worse than a revolving door. Then when a game is released it shows up weeks later and the store only has one or 2 copies. 10-15 years ago it would take 1hr to go thru the PC game titles at some stores now its less than a half hour. Ive been playing games since the IBM PCjr.

*If news comes out that the new xboxes, playstations, and nintendo's in the furture can have parts to buy and then build using the parts, I guess the fat lady will stop singing! :lol:

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

Consoles = quantity.

metalgearps2

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
PC gaming is thriving, not dying. Just like what Trialsking said, the biggest hardware manufactuares (spelling :p) are battling for a logo in the next Battlefield game, not a spot in the next Xbox.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
if the games didnt suck. lol. I mean, WoW?? Come on... people line up in droves to become addicted and brainwashed to a game like that, and all it does it squash the smaller more innovative studios.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Um, what? Every Best Buy I've ever been to has one row dedicated to PC games, and granted, it's a big shelf, but console games have a HUGE section at the stores, much bigger than what is devoted to PC games. Retail has always favored console games because console titles are plug-and-play games for the masses, not for the technically minded PC enthusiast.

That said, I don't think PC gaming is dying. I just think we're in a part of the normal gaming cycle that we've seen before: big console manufacturers make new hardware platforms and court developers and publishers to take advantage of them, while PC gaming takes a back seat for a couple years. This has certainly been the case lately: just look at the Call of Duty 3 travesty -- no PC version -- or Splinter Cell : Double Agent, which was developed for the consoles first and had an absolutely awful, bug-infested PC version.

But remember, it's a cycle and the pendulum will swing back eventually. I think once Crysis comes out and people see what kind of games are capable on the new PC hardware with DX10, developers will begin to put more resources toward next-gen PC games. Plus, the MMO market is only going to get bigger. There are so many MMO titles out there in development right now for devs/pubs hoping to duplicate Blizzard's success.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Im waiting to see if Star Trek Online is going to appear. It was being developed 2 years ago and said 2007 release but Im thinking its probably more like 2008. Perpetual is the company making it