wasted updates

I had this same problem with win98, a break in period where I had to let the
machine know how I wanted things. and it was a learning process to know just
what the machine would accept or reject. requiring many re-installs of the OS.
And other programs over and over again.

I'm on my 3rd reinstall now, but I learned from win98 to download the updates
from win update. Trouble is some updates aren't installing, and some updates
aren't available except thru the download over and over again with the tray
auto update.

I really need a batch file to auto execute these updates in the folder and
avoid the constant 'I agree's' like the machine is running these things on it's
own ?
I wouldn't be running it if I didn't agree.
Course I can't ever recall reading the fine print on these I agree's.

Does anyone know how to access, keep and reuse these downloads from the update
without having to keep grabbing them every time ? ie: Where are they being
stored ? can they be re-run as is ? etc..

How to download Windows updates and drivers from the Windows Update Catalog
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323166&Product=winxp

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
>I had this same problem with win98, a break in period where I had to let the
> machine know how I wanted things. and it was a learning process to know just
> what the machine would accept or reject. requiring many re-installs of the OS.
> And other programs over and over again.
>
> I'm on my 3rd reinstall now, but I learned from win98 to download the updates
> from win update. Trouble is some updates aren't installing, and some updates
> aren't available except thru the download over and over again with the tray
> auto update.
>
> I really need a batch file to auto execute these updates in the folder and
> avoid the constant 'I agree's' like the machine is running these things on it's
> own ?
> I wouldn't be running it if I didn't agree.
> Course I can't ever recall reading the fine print on these I agree's.
>
> Does anyone know how to access, keep and reuse these downloads from the update
> without having to keep grabbing them every time ? ie: Where are they being
> stored ? can they be re-run as is ? etc..
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 04:17:16 -0400, "Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com>
wrote:

One more XP hint to keep. I'll be reading it closer later, but example right
now..

I just installed all the updates that I have already downloaded.
today it told me I need to grab 3 more critical ones.

the 1st one I did a search for [Security Update for Microsoft Data Access
Components (KB832483)]. It couldn't find it.

the 2nd one I searched for [Security Update for DirectX 9.0 (KB839643")] it
found, and when I went to download it Gozilla says I already have it which
means when I ran it yesterday, it didn't take, or there's a bug in XP or
something that didn't recognize the installation of it.

So back to the original question [assuming the answer isn't in that FAQ you
referenced] How do I get to those downloads that auto install downloads, but
can't be found using the search option to download ?
I think I know how to download from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

it's finding them both online and after they're auto installed. If I could do
that, I wouldn't have to be going this download option, just find where they've
already been downloaded to on my drive and rerun them when needed.

>How to download Windows updates and drivers from the Windows Update Catalog
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323166&Product=winxp

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 04:17:16 -0400, "Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com>
wrote:

not really sure now what the problem is.
The 1st update
[Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB867801)]

IE6.0-KB867801-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe already exists on my machine. When I run
it, it says
This update requires IE6 to be installed.
I'm running IE6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633
update versions sp1;q831167;q823353;q867801

So I have to assume these 3 updates are going to keep popping up as long as I
have auto update turned on ?