floppy drive

August 12, 2004 4:42:10 PM

i installed windows xp home and now when i try to open a floppy disk i get a
message that says this refers to a location that is unavailable
--
Thanks A Bunch

More about : floppy drive

August 13, 2004 12:27:02 PM

Go to Start/My Computer/and see if 3 1/2 floppy (A) is listed. If it is then
the
floppy drive is recognized by your PC in the BIOS. You may be using a corrupt
floppy disk, check some more. You can also check them using the CMD (DOS)
Command Prompt under Start/Run/type CMD and press OK/at the cursor type A:
and press Enter. Now type dir/w and hit Enter and see if it reads the floppy
disk.

"grammyann" wrote:

> i installed windows xp home and now when i try to open a floppy disk i get a
> message that says this refers to a location that is unavailable
> --
> Thanks A Bunch
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 3:09:03 PM

Thank you for your help. I did both of the things you told me. 31/2 floppy
does not show upin controll panal and when in dos it states drive is not
recognized. I am wondering if my a drive has went out on me. but it was
working fine befor I loaded the xp.

"Byte" wrote:

> Go to Start/My Computer/and see if 3 1/2 floppy (A) is listed. If it is then
> the
> floppy drive is recognized by your PC in the BIOS. You may be using a corrupt
> floppy disk, check some more. You can also check them using the CMD (DOS)
> Command Prompt under Start/Run/type CMD and press OK/at the cursor type A:
> and press Enter. Now type dir/w and hit Enter and see if it reads the floppy
> disk.
>
> "grammyann" wrote:
>
> > i installed windows xp home and now when i try to open a floppy disk i get a
> > message that says this refers to a location that is unavailable
> > --
> > Thanks A Bunch
August 13, 2004 5:54:36 PM

"grammyann" <grammyann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i installed windows xp home and now when i try to open a floppy disk i get
> message that says this refers to a location that is unavailable
> --
> Thanks A Bunch

You may want to read:

Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or Not Recognized by Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060&Product=winxp

Don
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 5:54:37 PM

When I go to start, run and type a: the message is refers to a location that
is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a
network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you
are connected to the Internet or your network and then try again. If it
still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different
location.

"Don MI <>" wrote:

> "grammyann" <grammyann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i installed windows xp home and now when i try to open a floppy disk i get
> > message that says this refers to a location that is unavailable
> > --
> > Thanks A Bunch
>
> You may want to read:
>

> Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or Not Recognized by Windows
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060&Product=winxp
>

> Don

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 7:12:51 PM

> When I go to start, run and type a: the message is refers to a location
that
> is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a
> network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that
you
> are connected to the Internet or your network and then try again. If it
> still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a
different
> location.

Did the Knowledge Base article I provided a link to appear to be related to
the problem you are describing?

Don
!