floppy drive

i installed windows xp home and now when i try to open a floppy disk i get a
message that says this refers to a location that is unavailable
--
Thanks A Bunch
5 answers Last reply

    Go to Start/My Computer/and see if 3 1/2 floppy (A) is listed. If it is then
    the
    floppy drive is recognized by your PC in the BIOS. You may be using a corrupt
    floppy disk, check some more. You can also check them using the CMD (DOS)
    Command Prompt under Start/Run/type CMD and press OK/at the cursor type A:
    and press Enter. Now type dir/w and hit Enter and see if it reads the floppy
    disk.

    "grammyann" wrote:

    > i installed windows xp home and now when i try to open a floppy disk i get a
    > message that says this refers to a location that is unavailable
    > --
    > Thanks A Bunch

    Thank you for your help. I did both of the things you told me. 31/2 floppy
    does not show upin controll panal and when in dos it states drive is not
    recognized. I am wondering if my a drive has went out on me. but it was
    working fine befor I loaded the xp.

    "grammyann" <grammyann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i installed windows xp home and now when i try to open a floppy disk i get
    > message that says this refers to a location that is unavailable
    > --
    > Thanks A Bunch

    You may want to read:

    Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or Not Recognized by Windows

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060&Product=winxp

    Don

    When I go to start, run and type a: the message is refers to a location that
    is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a
    network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you
    are connected to the Internet or your network and then try again. If it
    still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different
    location.

    > When I go to start, run and type a: the message is refers to a location
    that
    > is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a
    > network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that
    you
    > are connected to the Internet or your network and then try again. If it
    > still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a
    different
    > location.

    Did the Knowledge Base article I provided a link to appear to be related to
    the problem you are describing?

    Don

Floppy Disk Windows XP Microsoft