Sign in with
Your question

Guild Wars, NWN, and other RPGs

Last response: in Video Games
July 28, 2007 6:32:29 PM

I finally got my rig up and running after years of only being able to play crappy old games. Right now the best things I have to play on it are Freelances, GTA3 and DeusEx. What I'm really wanting it for are the RPGs. The last reasonably moder RPG I played was NWN1, with no modules or expansions. I've now ordered the Deluxe edition with both expansions plus Kingmaker and two other modules, so I'm looking forward to that.
So my questions (yes, here they come) are about what else I should be getting. I've heard only excellent things about the KOTOR games, so I'll be getting those some time in the not-too-distant future.

What about Guild Wars? I saw a review of it (I think it was Factions actually) in a mag and it looked really good and the review said only nice things about it. But after reading a little more about it it sounds a bit simplistic, perhaps. Plus, I never seem to hear anything about it. So what's the verdict, is it good or not? The most important thing to me is a robust character development system that offers plenty of customisation and choices.

Then, what about NWN2? There was alot of hype, but I've heard very little since it came out. How does it compare to other games, and to the original?

Dungeon Siege 2? DS1 absolutely sucked in my opinion, due mostly to the fact that it barely even qualified as an RPG, with hardly any choice in how to develop your character. The sequel claims to offer much more in the way of skills and development, but does it deliver? And how is it overall?

I'll probably give Oblivian a go eventually, although I don't much like the sound of the Skills-increase-as-you-use-them system.

And finally of course, please recommend other RPGs. Heavy RPGs preferably (i don't know if that's a real term, but I mean the opposite of Light RPGs). And give reasons :) 

More about : guild wars nwn rpgs

July 29, 2007 1:42:27 AM

I'll comment on Guild Wars and Oblivion. I've played guild wars since the original came out a few years ago and have logged many many hours on it. Oblivion I've played since last year off and on

If you are the type of person that needs to be rewarded greatly for spending 8 hours a day in front of your game, then you might not like guild wars- at least in the sense that it doesn't reward you like the typical RPG does (e.g. WoW). The level cap and item system puts everyone on an even keel early on. The only uber items in the game are uber cosmeticly, as their stats can be aquired more easily. For example, the best armor stat wise is cheap and every player can get it once you are lvl 20 for the most part. The best looking armor can be expensive. That's not to say that it is easy to get the best gear all the time, but you don't have to be really lucky or spend every waking hour playing the game to have a max lvl character with the highest armor and a decent weapon.

On the other hand, the system is great for balance. If you like PvP then you will like it, since an entire portion of the system is designed specifically for PvPers. There is no integration of PvP into the environment/story line, with the exception that you can "unlock" items and skill with your PvE character for use on PvP. If you are going to get into Guild Wars, buy the latest Nightfall edition. It is the best. If you like it, then get the others. Another nice thing about guild wars is the absence of a monthly fee. Buy the game, play as much or as little as you want. Guild Wars is not for the person who wants a D&D like experience with respect to building a character. It is nothing like Neverwinter Nights.

Oblivion is a really fun game, regardless of how your skills increase. Some people like to make a science of the game and level their characters efficiently and go around repeating things just to level up. That makes the game boring. All you have to do is go into the game and start playing. Follow whatever quest you want. Or just run around stealing stuff. It doesn't matter. There is a TON of content in the game.
July 29, 2007 4:58:01 PM

Cool, thanks, that helps alot :) 
Related resources
July 31, 2007 4:55:14 AM

Damn guild wars and its lvl 20 cap....arrrgggg and to think i bought 2 of them......

While PVP is good. I tend to prefer PVE in such games....you max too quick

GW2 should fix this....

Come to the dark side of FPS :p  or try some city of heroes :) 
July 31, 2007 9:50:31 AM

Dude, if you're into AD&D type of rpg's (which I guess you are since you've been playing NW1) then you will love KOTOR 1 &2 since they are partially based on the same rules (not tightly though). I loved KOTOR 1 &2. They are trully unique games as you can choose multiple paths that reveal different aspects of the game. I finished KOTOR 1 & 2 twice (each game that is, once as a good guy and once as evil) back to back. They are that good! Same with NW1. You should really try the expansions on NW1, they are really good and they also bring new elements into the game with the incorporation of AD&D rules 3,5 version. Oblivion is also very awesome game but the rpg element isn't that "heavy" as you say. Still, you can have many, MANY, hours of fun. I got NW2, it's good. Not as good as the original but still good. You should try it. Well, these five titles should keep you busy for the next year or so, so game on!
!