Service Pack 2 Installation problem

I cannot update the current integrated build 2096 because it has no
uninstaller file and the automatic update keeps failing when it tries to
download the SP2 update and I have tried the administrator 266 MB file and it
gives me an error saying it cannot install over build 2096, please remove
build 2096. Since there is no uninstaller program and it does not appear in
Add/Remove Programs even with updated files checked, I cannot remove it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. The current build, 2096 came integrated on
my installation CD. Should I just revert back to Windows 2000?

CAP

CompSpec1975 wrote:
> I cannot update the current integrated build 2096 because it has no
> uninstaller file and the automatic update keeps failing when it tries
> to download the SP2 update and I have tried the administrator 266 MB
> file and it gives me an error saying it cannot install over build
> 2096, please remove build 2096. Since there is no uninstaller program
> and it does not appear in Add/Remove Programs even with updated files
> checked, I cannot remove it.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. The current build, 2096 came
> integrated on my installation CD. Should I just revert back to
> Windows 2000?
>
> CAP

Which installation CD is this ??
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

No 2096 did not come inergrated on a cd.
Sp2 test build RC2 for the public testers was 2149.
The real SP2 is build 2180 and is currently available for
special Tech use.

You can not update over anything but 2149 with Sp2 2180.
So you will need to do a fresh install from a valid XP
cd, then apply SP1a, and the the WU CU's, and then wait
until Aug 16-25 to get in line for the random AWU SP2
custom download on BITS 2.0 which is restartable and uses
unused bandwith.

There is no other way at this time unless you find a site
with the 266 MB 2180 build.
But you are risking a bad down load, a few cut offs, etc
as everyone and theie dog is doing the same thing until
the 25th.

SJ

CompSpec1975 wrote:
> I cannot update the current integrated build 2096 because it has no
> uninstaller file and the automatic update keeps failing when it tries
> to download the SP2 update and I have tried the administrator 266 MB
> file and it gives me an error saying it cannot install over build
> 2096, please remove build 2096. Since there is no uninstaller program
> and it does not appear in Add/Remove Programs even with updated files
> checked, I cannot remove it.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. The current build, 2096 came
> integrated on my installation CD. Should I just revert back to
> Windows 2000?
>
> CAP

Did it? Did it *REALLY*?! Then I conclude that you don't have a legitimate
XP licence - you can't do, SP2 hasn't even been released to Windows Update,
much less disc manufacturing!
lose his marbles?

levitation30@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Did it? Did it *REALLY*?! Then I conclude that you don't have a
>> legitimate XP licence - you can't do, SP2 hasn't even been released
>> to Windows Update, much less disc manufacturing!
>
> Maybe so. But since 8/10/04:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

That's totally irrelevant. He said it "came on his installation CD". That,
as I stated, is impossible.Windows won't be available with SP2 already
included for at least another six months, if I was to hazard a guess.
lose his marbles?