Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

#777 faster than dialing ISP???

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 1:34:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Has anyone ever had better luck (ie higher connection speed) using a
dialup connection to their normal ISP for internet access rather than
using #777? I remember reading a post elsewhere that the speed using
#777 is going to be around 14.4kbps, which would also be the maximum
one could expect dialing another ISP... ???

Also, does anyone have any "tips" for speeding up web browsing when
suffering under the slow connection speed of #777? Obviously shutting
off the "display pictures" within your browser preferences helps...
Anything else people have tried (e.g. 3rd party software claiming to
speed up connections, etc.)???

Thanks!
coyotefred

More about : 777 faster dialing isp

Anonymous
May 14, 2004 6:12:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

coyotefred wrote:
> Has anyone ever had better luck (ie higher connection speed) using a
> dialup connection to their normal ISP for internet access rather than
> using #777? I remember reading a post elsewhere that the speed using
> #777 is going to be around 14.4kbps, which would also be the maximum
> one could expect dialing another ISP... ???
>
> Also, does anyone have any "tips" for speeding up web browsing when
> suffering under the slow connection speed of #777? Obviously shutting
> off the "display pictures" within your browser preferences helps...
> Anything else people have tried (e.g. 3rd party software claiming to
> speed up connections, etc.)???
>
> Thanks!
> coyotefred
The speed is limited to 14.4kbps whether you dial into your own ISP or not.
You can use Venturi compression software to speed things up on the QNC
service from Verizon (the #777 number). I have used the "CDPD Service"
version of Venturi OK, and it is a little easier to set up than the
NationalAccess version (even though I have NA).
http://www.fourelle.com/tech_support/VerizonWireless.ht...
However, sometimes Venturi can slow things down if their server is heavily
loaded, so do some tests with and without it.

If you have NationalAccess, you can also get faster service, typically 60 to
80kbps. But the drivers that need to be loaded are different for the
different brands of cell phones, so I can't give you a general answer.
Also, the login and password information are different (but you still use
the #777 number). You can get the info you need from:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=...
It is a very long thread, but only a couple of the pages are really
relevant.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 1:54:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I should have mentioned that I am on Alltel rather than Verizon; I
#posted here because it is my understanding that the #777 business
works basically the same for both carriers. Unfortunately my location
in northwest Nebraska is outside Verizon's NationalAccess network, or
I would have gone with them rather than Alltel. The Venturi software
sounded interesting, but from reading a little about it, it sounds
like it had to be used by both you and the provider (ie it wasn't
something I could download and benefit from if Alltel wasn't using it
on the other end, which I don't believe it is).

> I use NationalAccess Minutes of Use (and #777), and since the connects are
> usually around 80-90K, much faster than dial-up, and also much faster than
> what you remember from that post (about 10 times), there is no way it isn't
> faster than QWK2NET. However, without getting into a thread about QWK2NET
> Versus 1X, there are two or three major benefits to dialing #777 no matter
> what you have.

[snip]
Related resources
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 2:50:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I have used the #777 almost everywhere in the lower 48, when on Native
Verizon or Usually (not always) on extended roaming.
Specifically I was on Alltel in SC and FL and it worked there.
If nothing else, give it a try, but a warning, the #777 has to be dialed by
the computer instead of the handset! Try your normal dial thing, and when it
displays the number to call, just change it to #777

When it works okay, it dials or reconnects in under a second, much
better/quicker than calling LD and waiting for the modems to negotiate
speed.

Give it a shot, what do you have to lose? It's free to try it on weekends,
and it's 10:30 Friday night here, should be Saturday soon for you (if it
isn't already).

If you are stuck using QWK2NET, then venturi can be used even with that, but
you must do the #777 thing to make it work. Venturi uses a network venturi
server to compress your data, and then sends it over the air. You must be
able to do the #777 to be directly on the network (no dial up), for it to
work.

If you use the Accelerator's (usually provided by the ISP), then yes, one
part of the software is on the ISP and the other part is on your computer.
Problem is, the partially compressed data has to be sent over the cell to
get to your computer and be compressed the rest of the way. And of course,
that's where it is also uncompressed. Since the final compression hasn't
happened yet when it goes over the cell, you end up transmitting/receiving a
few more bytes than you would if you had an active compression server on the
net (like venturi has). In real life, we are only talking a few microseconds
difference, usually not noticeable by humans.


Good luck to you, (and also to me, I'm off to the Casino in a few minutes to
either buy baby a new pair of shoes, or go broke :) 



"coyotefred" <coyotefred@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:b8883a35.0405142054.3706ce57@posting.google.com
> I should have mentioned that I am on Alltel rather than Verizon; I
> #posted here because it is my understanding that the #777 business
> works basically the same for both carriers. Unfortunately my location
> in northwest Nebraska is outside Verizon's NationalAccess network, or
> I would have gone with them rather than Alltel. The Venturi software
> sounded interesting, but from reading a little about it, it sounds
> like it had to be used by both you and the provider (ie it wasn't
> something I could download and benefit from if Alltel wasn't using it
> on the other end, which I don't believe it is).
>
>> I use NationalAccess Minutes of Use (and #777), and since the
>> connects are usually around 80-90K, much faster than dial-up, and
>> also much faster than what you remember from that post (about 10
>> times), there is no way it isn't faster than QWK2NET. However,
>> without getting into a thread about QWK2NET Versus 1X, there are two
>> or three major benefits to dialing #777 no matter what you have.
>
> [snip]
May 15, 2004 9:28:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> Hello Peter Pan,
>
> I recently posted a reply to Bob Giddings on RORT, which I have noted you
> are active on, concerning my experience in trying to get NA-MOU for travel
> internet access. In short, instead of the American Choice $39.99, 400
> minutes plan I wanted, when the agent entered MOU as an option, the computer
> came up with a $79.99 plan. I nixed that and am still with my cheap AT&T
> voice plan.
>
> Is the higher speed which you mention (up to 120 Kb) still available at the
> $40 rate or must one go to the pricier data plans? Thank you for any
> guidance.
>
> JT Kirby

I'm not Peter Pan but I have had a 300 minute America's Choice Plan for
$34.99 for over a year now and have NA-MOU that I use when traveling
with my laptop. I didn't have to call anyone, it was just there and
listed on my sales agreement when I signed up for Verizon service. I
signed up in Tracy, Calif. I don't believe that anyone with an
America's Choice Plan has to call to get NA-MOU. Just get a Mobile
Office Kit, cheaper off e-bay than Verizon, and use the software and
cable to use this free service.

Don in Tracy, Calif.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 5:08:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

'Hope you won those shoes! ;) 

Well I'm writing this from the boonies using my #777 connection, and
it really isn't that bad. All I have to do is remember back to the
mid-1990s when a 14.4 connection was generally all "normal folks"
had... I thought that was pretty nifty back then :) 

In any case it works real slick... Too bad those night minutes didn't
kick in at 7pm instead of 9pm... But however you slice it this option
is certainly cheaper than satellite internet unless I were to really
start burning my Anytime Minutes during the day waiting for that 14.4
connection. By the way--and I should know this--how are the night
minutes calculated when you're on the road and outside your time zone?
I assume they are based on the time zone in which you registered
phone?

If I read you right you've suggested that I would be able to use
venturi (since I'm directly connecting via #777), but that in my
situation I probably wouldn't notice any differece... ??? Oh well...
I think I can probably live with this. With the browser set not to
download pics, the download time for most pages isn't too bad...

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
[snip]

> If you are stuck using QWK2NET, then venturi can be used even with that, but
> you must do the #777 thing to make it work. Venturi uses a network venturi
> server to compress your data, and then sends it over the air. You must be
> able to do the #777 to be directly on the network (no dial up), for it to
> work.
>
> If you use the Accelerator's (usually provided by the ISP), then yes, one
> part of the software is on the ISP and the other part is on your computer.
> Problem is, the partially compressed data has to be sent over the cell to
> get to your computer and be compressed the rest of the way. And of course,
> that's where it is also uncompressed. Since the final compression hasn't
> happened yet when it goes over the cell, you end up transmitting/receiving a
> few more bytes than you would if you had an active compression server on the
> net (like venturi has). In real life, we are only talking a few microseconds
> difference, usually not noticeable by humans.
>
>
> Good luck to you, (and also to me, I'm off to the Casino in a few minutes to
> either buy baby a new pair of shoes, or go broke :) 
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 6:00:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"coyotefred" <coyotefred@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:b8883a35.0405151208.3a23c02@posting.google.com
>
> In any case it works real slick... Too bad those night minutes didn't
> kick in at 7pm instead of 9pm... But however you slice it this option
> is certainly cheaper than satellite internet unless I were to really
> start burning my Anytime Minutes during the day waiting for that 14.4
> connection. By the way--and I should know this--how are the night
> minutes calculated when you're on the road and outside your time zone?
> I assume they are based on the time zone in which you registered
> phone?

NO NO NO, Night minutes are calculated at the time at the tower (displayed
on the phone) ***NOT*** your billing address!

Sorry for not just saying local time, but that's not exactly accurate. There
are many places near the time zone edges, where you can be in one time zone,
but your phone is getting a signal from another time zone. ALWAYS go by the
time displayed on the phone when determining when your free time starts.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 6:11:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

There is no reason you can't speed things up more, but almost everything
depends on your dialing #777 first. Now you can move on to other things that
may speed things up.

Sorry to belabor the point, but you would be amazed how many people
absolutely refuse to use #777 from the dialer. They try and dial it from the
handset (rather than putting it in the dialer), and when it doesn't work by
dialing on the keypad, refuse to ever try it again. First thing was to get
you to try the #777.

I know you show hotmail now, but didn't you say in a previous message that
you had an earthlink account? If so, do you use their access 2004 software?
It has an accelerator that works with cell-phones.

More later...

Marc (My real name, Peter Pan is the name I use to post :) 


"coyotefred" <coyotefred@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:b8883a35.0405151208.3a23c02@posting.google.com
> 'Hope you won those shoes! ;) 
>
> Well I'm writing this from the boonies using my #777 connection, and
> it really isn't that bad. All I have to do is remember back to the
> mid-1990s when a 14.4 connection was generally all "normal folks"
> had... I thought that was pretty nifty back then :) 
>
> In any case it works real slick... Too bad those night minutes didn't
> kick in at 7pm instead of 9pm... But however you slice it this option
> is certainly cheaper than satellite internet unless I were to really
> start burning my Anytime Minutes during the day waiting for that 14.4
> connection. By the way--and I should know this--how are the night
> minutes calculated when you're on the road and outside your time zone?
> I assume they are based on the time zone in which you registered
> phone?
>
> If I read you right you've suggested that I would be able to use
> venturi (since I'm directly connecting via #777), but that in my
> situation I probably wouldn't notice any differece... ??? Oh well...
> I think I can probably live with this. With the browser set not to
> download pics, the download time for most pages isn't too bad...
>
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [snip]
>
>> If you are stuck using QWK2NET, then venturi can be used even with
>> that, but you must do the #777 thing to make it work. Venturi uses a
>> network venturi server to compress your data, and then sends it over
>> the air. You must be able to do the #777 to be directly on the
>> network (no dial up), for it to work.
>>
>> If you use the Accelerator's (usually provided by the ISP), then
>> yes, one part of the software is on the ISP and the other part is on
>> your computer. Problem is, the partially compressed data has to be
>> sent over the cell to get to your computer and be compressed the
>> rest of the way. And of course, that's where it is also
>> uncompressed. Since the final compression hasn't happened yet when
>> it goes over the cell, you end up transmitting/receiving a few more
>> bytes than you would if you had an active compression server on the
>> net (like venturi has). In real life, we are only talking a few
>> microseconds difference, usually not noticeable by humans.
>>
>>
>> Good luck to you, (and also to me, I'm off to the Casino in a few
>> minutes to either buy baby a new pair of shoes, or go broke :) 
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 9:15:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"JT" <afn17434@afn.org> wrote in message
news:2gna2bF4pclkU1@uni-berlin.de
>
> I'm in Florida, zip code 32609. I'm not even sure that I can get a
> native Verizon signal at my home. It was my intention to sign up for
> a plan, test it at home and cancel within the 15 days if there was
> not a good signal. However, we didn't get that far with the agent
> since the plan offered was more than I was willing to pay. We use
> cell service only rarely when not traveling
>

I used to have a contract via zip code 34677 (down by Tampa), but when I
went to MOU, I changed to a contract to my sisters address (in Baltimore
21207).

I don't know what the current status is in that area, (this was a year ago,
went from an Alltel area in Tampa, to a Verizon area in Baltimore, not for
1X, changed for other reasons - like dad died and step mom sold the house)

I looked in my books at work to see what is available there now, but even
though most states are shown, unfortunately, FL isn't shown. (Even though
California was)

PS Just a funny note, Know how some people call California the "Peoples
Republic of Kalifornia"? The more I see Florida left off things, but
California is included, I wonder if it shouldn't be "Peoples Republic of
Florida" instead? :) 
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 9:59:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2gnfbtF40tl3U1@uni-berlin.de>...

> Sorry to belabor the point, but you would be amazed how many people
> absolutely refuse to use #777 from the dialer. They try and dial it from the
> handset (rather than putting it in the dialer), and when it doesn't work by
> dialing on the keypad, refuse to ever try it again. First thing was to get
> you to try the #777.

Well we're set there :) 

> I know you show hotmail now, but didn't you say in a previous message that
> you had an earthlink account? If so, do you use their access 2004 software?
> It has an accelerator that works with cell-phones.

'Nope...I've thought about getting earthlink before, but right now all
I've got is a poor-quality ISP through the school I work for. I just
set up a New Connection through Windows XP to dial #777 and that works
fine.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 10:53:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"coyotefred" <coyotefred@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:b8883a35.0405161659.3d981353@posting.google.com
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:<2gnfbtF40tl3U1@uni-berlin.de>...
>
>> Sorry to belabor the point, but you would be amazed how many people
>> absolutely refuse to use #777 from the dialer. They try and dial it
>> from the handset (rather than putting it in the dialer), and when it
>> doesn't work by dialing on the keypad, refuse to ever try it again.
>> First thing was to get you to try the #777.
>
> Well we're set there :) 
>
>> I know you show hotmail now, but didn't you say in a previous
>> message that you had an earthlink account? If so, do you use their
>> access 2004 software? It has an accelerator that works with
>> cell-phones.
>
> 'Nope...I've thought about getting earthlink before, but right now all
> I've got is a poor-quality ISP through the school I work for. I just
> set up a New Connection through Windows XP to dial #777 and that works
> fine.

Sorry, someone else in this thread had an earthlink address, guess I got
confused.

At any rate, glad the first part worked for ya.

If you want to experiment with venturi, and since you are doing the #777
thing now, it's free for verizon users. Download it at
http://www.venturiwireless.com
(note it is Venturi NOT verizon), then click on support, and then about
halfway down on the right side of the page, you will see Verizon Wireless
Customers (Read/Click/Follow Instructions). After installation, there is an
icon on the venturi main page (it defaults to "auto", click on it and it
become "off", click again and it toggles back to "auto"). In settings, it
allows you to limit the resolution of pictures, and as I recall (gads, I
hope that was you that turned off pix, or my brain went to mush) you have
them turned off, you can set them to be very low res, and then click on em
to resend/get them in hi res if you want to see it better. You can also set
up lists of websites to exclude compression on if you find some that work
and some that don't.

PS, it's a big download, make sure you start it during free time.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 7:03:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

JT <afn17434@afn.org> wrote:

> I recently posted a reply to Bob Giddings on RORT, which I have noted you
> are active on, concerning my experience in trying to get NA-MOU for travel
> internet access. In short, instead of the American Choice $39.99, 400
> minutes plan I wanted, when the agent entered MOU as an option, the computer
> came up with a $79.99 plan. I nixed that and am still with my cheap AT&T
> voice plan.

The Express Network / NationalAccess MOU is an option you can add to your
regular AC plan. The problem, as Peter said, is that you may have to go
through several customer service reps before you get one who is (a) willing
to add it for you, and (b) knows how to do it.

The confusion stems from the fact that, although the MOU option can be used
to connect a laptop to the Internet, it's not *meant* to be used for that.
It's meant to be used for services from the handset itself -- specifically,
for picture messages. If you have a camera phone, you get this option on
your plan to be able to do picture messages using plan minutes rather than
one of the special picture message options.

Here's the trick to getting MOU added to your plan. Don't bother with the
store, and don't bother calling customer service. Go to the VZW web site,
to the customer service contact form, and send a message asking to have
NationalAccess MOU added to your plan. Obviously, make sure to fill in
all the information about your account, like your name, phone number,
account number, and all that. I had a reply telling me it had been added
within a matter of hours (during business hours). However, I *do* have a
camera phone, so I mentioned that in the message; I'm not sure how much
easier that made it to get the option, since I had the offically-sanctioned
reason to have it. (I upgraded to the camera phone on my own, not through
VZW, so they hadn't added the option for me.)

So, really, what you're asking for is the option that lets you do picture
messages using plan minutes. If you ask for it that way, the customer
service reps will be far more likely to know what you're talking about
than if you start talking about laptop connections -- they have another
set of options for that, which is what their training will tell them to
try to sell you.

> Is the higher speed which you mention (up to 120 Kb) still available at
> the $40 rate or must one go to the pricier data plans?

I'm still on a $35/month AC plan (300 minutes) from a couple years ago,
not even in contract any more, and it's not a problem.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 9:32:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <10agas9btk0m7d9@corp.supernews.com>,
Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:
>The confusion stems from the fact that, although the MOU option can be used
>to connect a laptop to the Internet, it's not *meant* to be used for that.
>It's meant to be used for services from the handset itself -- specifically,
>for picture messages. If you have a camera phone, you get this option on
>your plan to be able to do picture messages using plan minutes rather than
>one of the special picture message options.

Most Get-It-Now phones are now capable of using the EN-MOU (NationAccess)
functionality to download applications faster and give them faster access
to the Internet when running (such as weather radar apps). This is also
an intended use of EN-MOU, and if you have such a phone, you can tell
them this in your e-mail to get EN-MOU activated. I updated the software
in my T720 to the T730 software, and this situation applied.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 12:46:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Thanks so much...I'll download it tonight and give it a try and report back :) 

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2gqk9bF5mf3sU1@uni-berlin.de>...

[snip]

> If you want to experiment with venturi, and since you are doing the #777
> thing now, it's free for verizon users. Download it at
> http://www.venturiwireless.com
> (note it is Venturi NOT verizon), then click on support, and then about
> halfway down on the right side of the page, you will see Verizon Wireless
> Customers (Read/Click/Follow Instructions). After installation, there is an
> icon on the venturi main page (it defaults to "auto", click on it and it
> become "off", click again and it toggles back to "auto"). In settings, it
> allows you to limit the resolution of pictures, and as I recall (gads, I
> hope that was you that turned off pix, or my brain went to mush) you have
> them turned off, you can set them to be very low res, and then click on em
> to resend/get them in hi res if you want to see it better. You can also set
> up lists of websites to exclude compression on if you find some that work
> and some that don't.
>
> PS, it's a big download, make sure you start it during free time.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 12:28:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2gqk9bF5mf3sU1@uni-berlin.de>...

> If you want to experiment with venturi, and since you are doing the #777
> thing now, it's free for verizon users. Download it at
> http://www.venturiwireless.com
> (note it is Venturi NOT verizon), then click on support, and then about
> halfway down on the right side of the page, you will see Verizon Wireless
> Customers (Read/Click/Follow Instructions). After installation, there is an
> icon on the venturi main page (it defaults to "auto", click on it and it
> become "off", click again and it toggles back to "auto"). In settings, it
> allows you to limit the resolution of pictures, and as I recall (gads, I
> hope that was you that turned off pix, or my brain went to mush) you have
> them turned off, you can set them to be very low res, and then click on em
> to resend/get them in hi res if you want to see it better. You can also set
> up lists of websites to exclude compression on if you find some that work
> and some that don't.
>
> PS, it's a big download, make sure you start it during free time.

Well... I downloaded the Venturi client, but unfortunately it does not
appear to work with alltel and #777. When I connect with #777, the
little "V" in the taskbar spins like a tornado for a few seconds, and
then stops with a red "X" through it, indicating to me that Venturi
isn't operating. I get the same result when I dialup to my local ISP.
'Guess it was worth a try...any other ideas appreciated :) 
May 18, 2004 11:27:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Stupid question. with windows xp I get a timeout verifying the username
with a Motorola v60s. I tried using qnc/qnc and ati/net.

Tried disabling the extnesions and compression - any hints on what it takes
to get it working with a v60s?


"coyotefred" <coyotefred@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:b8883a35.0405161659.3d981353@posting.google.com...
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:<2gnfbtF40tl3U1@uni-berlin.de>...
>
> > Sorry to belabor the point, but you would be amazed how many people
> > absolutely refuse to use #777 from the dialer. They try and dial it from
the
> > handset (rather than putting it in the dialer), and when it doesn't work
by
> > dialing on the keypad, refuse to ever try it again. First thing was to
get
> > you to try the #777.
>
> Well we're set there :) 
>
> > I know you show hotmail now, but didn't you say in a previous message
that
> > you had an earthlink account? If so, do you use their access 2004
software?
> > It has an accelerator that works with cell-phones.
>
> 'Nope...I've thought about getting earthlink before, but right now all
> I've got is a poor-quality ISP through the school I work for. I just
> set up a New Connection through Windows XP to dial #777 and that works
> fine.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 11:27:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Are you in a native verizon area, extended network or roaming?

Sounds like you might be in an extended network area (I'm guessing from the
ati/net password you tried, never heard of qnc/qnc not working in a verizon
area).



"Robert" <newsfeeds@cmoschip.cotse.net> wrote in message
news:40aaaa11$1_2@127.0.0.1
> Stupid question. with windows xp I get a timeout verifying the
> username with a Motorola v60s. I tried using qnc/qnc and ati/net.
>
> Tried disabling the extnesions and compression - any hints on what it
> takes to get it working with a v60s?
>
>
> "coyotefred" <coyotefred@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:b8883a35.0405161659.3d981353@posting.google.com...
>> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:<2gnfbtF40tl3U1@uni-berlin.de>...
>>
>>> Sorry to belabor the point, but you would be amazed how many people
>>> absolutely refuse to use #777 from the dialer. They try and dial it
>>> from the handset (rather than putting it in the dialer), and when
>>> it doesn't work by dialing on the keypad, refuse to ever try it
>>> again. First thing was to get you to try the #777.
>>
>> Well we're set there :) 
>>
>>> I know you show hotmail now, but didn't you say in a previous
>>> message that you had an earthlink account? If so, do you use their
>>> access 2004 software? It has an accelerator that works with
>>> cell-phones.
>>
>> 'Nope...I've thought about getting earthlink before, but right now
>> all I've got is a poor-quality ISP through the school I work for. I
>> just set up a New Connection through Windows XP to dial #777 and
>> that works fine.
May 20, 2004 1:41:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Yep - native area - "Verizon Wireless" on the phone. Its and error 691 in
XP but everything I find points to user name
"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2gvq5cF7o3e1U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Are you in a native verizon area, extended network or roaming?
>
> Sounds like you might be in an extended network area (I'm guessing from
the
> ati/net password you tried, never heard of qnc/qnc not working in a
verizon
> area).
>
>
>
> "Robert" <newsfeeds@cmoschip.cotse.net> wrote in message
> news:40aaaa11$1_2@127.0.0.1
> > Stupid question. with windows xp I get a timeout verifying the
> > username with a Motorola v60s. I tried using qnc/qnc and ati/net.
> >
> > Tried disabling the extnesions and compression - any hints on what it
> > takes to get it working with a v60s?
> >
> >
> > "coyotefred" <coyotefred@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:b8883a35.0405161659.3d981353@posting.google.com...
> >> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:<2gnfbtF40tl3U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> >>
> >>> Sorry to belabor the point, but you would be amazed how many people
> >>> absolutely refuse to use #777 from the dialer. They try and dial it
> >>> from the handset (rather than putting it in the dialer), and when
> >>> it doesn't work by dialing on the keypad, refuse to ever try it
> >>> again. First thing was to get you to try the #777.
> >>
> >> Well we're set there :) 
> >>
> >>> I know you show hotmail now, but didn't you say in a previous
> >>> message that you had an earthlink account? If so, do you use their
> >>> access 2004 software? It has an accelerator that works with
> >>> cell-phones.
> >>
> >> 'Nope...I've thought about getting earthlink before, but right now
> >> all I've got is a poor-quality ISP through the school I work for. I
> >> just set up a New Connection through Windows XP to dial #777 and
> >> that works fine.
>
>
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:28:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Sounds like you might be in an extended network area (I'm guessing from the
: ati/net password you tried, never heard of qnc/qnc not working in a verizon
: area).

It (qnc/qnc) won't work if you're trying to connect to the 3G network.
There are different initialization strings for either service. Don't know
which is which, though. I just know there is a diff....

-Charles

--
Charles Robinson
Minneapolis, MN
charlesr@visi.com
http://www.visi.com/~charlesr
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:28:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Charles Robinson" <charlesr@visi.com> wrote in message
news:40abfb92$0$8691$a18e6209@newsreader.visi.com
> Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Sounds like you might be in an extended network area (I'm guessing
>> from the ati/net password you tried, never heard of qnc/qnc not
>> working in a verizon area).
>
> It (qnc/qnc) won't work if you're trying to connect to the 3G network.
> There are different initialization strings for either service. Don't
> know which is which, though. I just know there is a diff....
>
> -Charles

That's incorrect. If you are in a high speed/1x/NA/Express/verizon
native/3G/whatever you call it area, QWK2NET will STILL work. Only certain
phones/software even need init strings, and Mobile office (that's what I
use) has two connections (one QWK2NET and the other Express). As I said
before, I have NEVER seen QWK2NET not working in a verizon area (read the
post, it breaks it into 3 areas, native verizon area, extended, and roaming,
the part of the post you trimmed said that, but just the words verizon area
refer to the first of the three ((NATIVE verizon area)).

At any rate, I think my view/typing may have added to the misconception.
When I type verizon area I mean the verizon NATIVE area, some people view
all the areas (native/extended/roaming) as the verizon area. It works
absolutely 100% of the time in NATIVE verizon area, but is hit or miss in
extended network and roaming areas.

The part you clipped, was a response to someone that was asking why #777
didn't work for him, and the qnc/qnc statement was meant to refer to native
verizon areas, not necessarily extended or roaming.

Just to add more confusion, consider this, you can be in a NATIVE verizon
area, but in a valley (or in my case I was inside a metal cargo van), have a
tri-mode phone, and only able to use analog for voice. In that case, it
(Analog) won't work for data, even if you are in an area that should work.
May 20, 2004 4:28:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

You don't have to actually purchase their mobile office kit, though, right?
I've got a synch cable and it talks to the phone just fine - you see "Packet
Data" displayed while it's dialing. I made my own dun connection in XP
following their directions from their site.


"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2h2fv0F87oqbU1@uni-berlin.de...
> "Charles Robinson" <charlesr@visi.com> wrote in message
> news:40abfb92$0$8691$a18e6209@newsreader.visi.com
> > Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Sounds like you might be in an extended network area (I'm guessing
> >> from the ati/net password you tried, never heard of qnc/qnc not
> >> working in a verizon area).
> >
> > It (qnc/qnc) won't work if you're trying to connect to the 3G network.
> > There are different initialization strings for either service. Don't
> > know which is which, though. I just know there is a diff....
> >
> > -Charles
>
> That's incorrect. If you are in a high speed/1x/NA/Express/verizon
> native/3G/whatever you call it area, QWK2NET will STILL work. Only certain
> phones/software even need init strings, and Mobile office (that's what I
> use) has two connections (one QWK2NET and the other Express). As I said
> before, I have NEVER seen QWK2NET not working in a verizon area (read the
> post, it breaks it into 3 areas, native verizon area, extended, and
roaming,
> the part of the post you trimmed said that, but just the words verizon
area
> refer to the first of the three ((NATIVE verizon area)).
>
> At any rate, I think my view/typing may have added to the misconception.
> When I type verizon area I mean the verizon NATIVE area, some people view
> all the areas (native/extended/roaming) as the verizon area. It works
> absolutely 100% of the time in NATIVE verizon area, but is hit or miss in
> extended network and roaming areas.
>
> The part you clipped, was a response to someone that was asking why #777
> didn't work for him, and the qnc/qnc statement was meant to refer to
native
> verizon areas, not necessarily extended or roaming.
>
> Just to add more confusion, consider this, you can be in a NATIVE verizon
> area, but in a valley (or in my case I was inside a metal cargo van), have
a
> tri-mode phone, and only able to use analog for voice. In that case, it
> (Analog) won't work for data, even if you are in an area that should work.
>
>
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:28:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I'm just guessing, but the first thing I would look at is the communication
settings (like data bits, stop bits, parity, data/text translation), it
almost sounds like you are translating the qnc/qnc into something else
before sending.

As for Mobile Office, no it is not required, it is just very easy, and I
usually suggest it to people that just want it to work, and don't want to
play with it. Last I looked, it was $39.95. How much money can you save
going to something else to save a few pennies (okay, $10 or so, 1000
pennies, that's a lot rather than a few), and how much aggravation does it
entail.
==========================================
Update: Just had a thought (okay, maybe a brain fart)

However, if you see "packet data", you are using the high speed 1x
connection (rather than the low speed one).

If that is working, then that is not your low speed connection, but rather
the high speed one (10 times faster than the slow one).

just for fun, try your logon as: 1X Logon Userid (phone number)@vzw3g.com
Password vzw and set your max baud rate to 230 (then 115 etc)

You may actually be able to connect at higher speeds than dial-up!

The reason I suggest the above, is that if it works for 1X, you don't want
to kill something working, call it (the DUN) something like "High Speed 1X",
and create a new one for low speed.






"Robert" <newsfeeds@cmoschip.cotse.net> wrote in message
news:40ac1b57$1_2@127.0.0.1
> You don't have to actually purchase their mobile office kit, though,
> right? I've got a synch cable and it talks to the phone just fine -
> you see "Packet Data" displayed while it's dialing. I made my own
> dun connection in XP following their directions from their site.
>
>
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:2h2fv0F87oqbU1@uni-berlin.de...
>> "Charles Robinson" <charlesr@visi.com> wrote in message
>> news:40abfb92$0$8691$a18e6209@newsreader.visi.com
>>> Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Sounds like you might be in an extended network area (I'm guessing
>>>> from the ati/net password you tried, never heard of qnc/qnc not
>>>> working in a verizon area).
>>>
>>> It (qnc/qnc) won't work if you're trying to connect to the 3G
>>> network. There are different initialization strings for either
>>> service. Don't know which is which, though. I just know there is
>>> a diff....
>>>
>>> -Charles
>>
>> That's incorrect. If you are in a high speed/1x/NA/Express/verizon
>> native/3G/whatever you call it area, QWK2NET will STILL work. Only
>> certain phones/software even need init strings, and Mobile office
>> (that's what I use) has two connections (one QWK2NET and the other
>> Express). As I said before, I have NEVER seen QWK2NET not working in
>> a verizon area (read the post, it breaks it into 3 areas, native
>> verizon area, extended, and roaming, the part of the post you
>> trimmed said that, but just the words verizon area refer to the
>> first of the three ((NATIVE verizon area)).
>>
>> At any rate, I think my view/typing may have added to the
>> misconception. When I type verizon area I mean the verizon NATIVE
>> area, some people view all the areas (native/extended/roaming) as
>> the verizon area. It works absolutely 100% of the time in NATIVE
>> verizon area, but is hit or miss in extended network and roaming
>> areas.
>>
>> The part you clipped, was a response to someone that was asking why
>> #777 didn't work for him, and the qnc/qnc statement was meant to
>> refer to native verizon areas, not necessarily extended or roaming.
>>
>> Just to add more confusion, consider this, you can be in a NATIVE
>> verizon area, but in a valley (or in my case I was inside a metal
>> cargo van), have a tri-mode phone, and only able to use analog for
>> voice. In that case, it (Analog) won't work for data, even if you
>> are in an area that should work.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 7:16:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
: That's incorrect. If you are in a high speed/1x/NA/Express/verizon
: native/3G/whatever you call it area, QWK2NET will STILL work.

All I know is what I've read in this group back in December (do a google
groups search on atqcmdr). QWK2NET dialups need to use atqcmdr=2,
high-speed dialups use atqcmdr=3. That's not true?

Yes, if he's got mobile office then there are setups which already have
the right strings in there. I don't recall if the initial poster is using
Mobile Office or not. If not, then these init strings do come into play.

Using the init string which says "I'm initializing you for connecting to
the high-speed network", then using the qnc/qnc login will end up in
failure. Same as using the init for qnc and then trying to login with the
(phonenumber@vzw3g.com) username.

-Charles

--
Charles Robinson
Minneapolis, MN
charlesr@visi.com
http://www.visi.com/~charlesr
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 5:05:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Peter Pan wrote:

> Are you in a native verizon area, extended network or roaming?
>
> Sounds like you might be in an extended network area (I'm guessing from the
> ati/net password you tried, never heard of qnc/qnc not working in a verizon
> area).

I had trouble making my connection work UNTIL I created a new modem and
unchecked the box that said something like "Use dialing rules"

-SP
!