trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Anyone here expert in WinXP ICS? I cannot seem to get it to work, even
though I have followed all the steps to a T. Any good guides? I think it's
an IP or DHCP(?) issue,

It would be helpful if you could provide some details about how you connect
to the internet and how you want to network your computers.

Anyway, can the computer that is running ICS access the internet?

I assume that this computer is connected to the internet via an ethernet
cable to a cable/dsl modem. You then use ICS to share that connection to
computers connected to your wireless card. If you have a wireless access
point (access point being they key factor), then you should be able to leave
the wireless card in infrastructure mode and be able to associate with the
access point. Any computers that associate with the same access point
should now be able to communicate through the computer running ICS. If,
instead of an access point, you are using a router then you need to turn off
the router's built-in DHCP server. Otherwise, it, instead of ICS, will hand
out LAN IP addresses and that will cause problems. If you have neither an
access point nor wireless router, you need to switch all wireless cards to
"ad-hoc" mode.

-Yves

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 03:51:58 GMT, "Trevor" <tljohnson@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Anyone here expert in WinXP ICS? I cannot seem to get it to work, even
>though I have followed all the steps to a T. Any good guides? I think it's
>an IP or DHCP(?) issue,

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/index.htm

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

"Trevor" <tljohnson@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Anyone here expert in WinXP ICS? I cannot seem to get it to work, even
> though I have followed all the steps to a T. Any good guides? I think
> it's an IP or DHCP(?) issue,

The link may help.

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

Duane :)

> Thanks - I'll take a look. However, I disabled my Norton Internet
> Security on the host and wa la, the internet link established!

All that means is that you need to learn how to configure the FW
correctly to allow the traffic through the FW from the private side of
the LAN.

If you have no FW protection on the host or Internet facing machine, then
all it takes is a micro second for the machine and the LAN to be
compromised.

IMHO, you should be using a NAT router as the gateway device for the LAN
and WAN, that's if you have no reason not to be using a router.

Daune :)

trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Yves.
Yes, Host is an XP desktop connected via cable modem (external) to the net.
All good connections.
Client is a laptop with a good Bluetooth connection to the host. File
transfer worked great. Internet, did not (IE options set to LAN and auto
detect/configure).
Once I disabled NIS on the host, the internet access on the client worked
fine. Now need to figure out how to properly configure the host NIS to allow
the client.