MrE

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2002
Hi All,

I recently bought a MSI KT3 Ultra2 with Raid. I tried to get this thing to work, and it does, but somehow when I install the correct drivers for my videocard the system won't restart anymore (system hangs after logging on again, at the moment the video driver activates).

When Windows XP assigns a standard VGA compatible driver, everything works fine (1280*1024 - 16bit color), when installing any Nvidea driver (I tried about 5 different versions) the system will not reboot!

I tried with and without VIA 4-in-1 drivers, no changes.
I've updated the Bios to the lateset version, no changes.
I've tweaked a lot of the Bios setting, no result.
I even tried another videocard, the same problem occurs again.

Here are my systems stats:

MB: MSI KT3 Ultra2-R
MEM: 256 MB PC2700 cas2.5
CPU: Athlon XP 2000+

VC: Point of View GeForce 4 Ti4200 Special Edition (64MB 3.3 ns memory)
or
VC: ASUS V8200 GeForce 3 Deluxe (GeForce 3 Ti200)

Can anyone give me some advise what to do?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MrE on 10/03/02 11:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
When Windows XP assigns a standard VGA compatible driver, everything works fine (1280*1024 - 16bit color), when installing any Nvidea driver (I tried about 5 different versions) the system will not <b>reboot!</b>

What do you mean with "not reboot"? not even post? or you can go in to BIOS?

Could sound very obviuos but did you try shutting down and then turning on?

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

MrE

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2002
Windows shuts down, I can go to the bios and all.
When Windows starts up again, the logo and progress-bar apears as normal, when that disappears, normally the welcome screen shows up (in the correct VGA setting), but now the screen stays black and nothing happens anymore!

So when the VGA-mode changes, the systems crashes.

Also when applying new settings before rebooting, the screen becomes black with a cursor indicator at the top-left of the screen, and nothing works anymore (not even Ctrl-Alt-Del).

Tonight I've tried an old TNT2 card, but the same applies... as soon as the specific driver kicks in, my Computer hangs.

I've tried different Bios settings, latest Bios update... nothing seems to work!

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
strange....
I suggest you to read this post from the MSI forum:
<A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_service/forum/viewthread.php?threadid=1515&boardid=16&styleid=1" target="_new">http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_service/forum/viewthread.php?threadid=1515&boardid=16&styleid=1</A>

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

MrE

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2002
That was one of my thougths too, so I've already spent 50 Euros (same as 50 Dollars) for a AMD-Approved Power supply.

I could have done better things with that money, because it didn't make any difference.
(Thanks for thinking with me anyhow)

I personally think that this Mainbord is faulty and should be replaced... but I don't want to give up on her yet!

Any suggestions?