Unreal Tournament 3 Beta Impressions

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
One of the biggest draws for gamers at Comic-Con 2007 was the first public showing of Epic's Unreal Tournament 3. The beta version of the new multiplayer online shooter made quite an impression at the show.

Antigravity

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, but when do I get to play it?

They still haven't given any hints to when PC owners will be able to start fragging again in UT3 glory.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Will have PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Linux, and Mac support so everybody can play together. Too bad there aren't more companies like Epic. I can imagine some very impressive mods will be developed like sequels to Invasion RPG and Tactical Operations: Crossfire.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I really can't wait. I bought UT2004 back in early 06 and played it on onboard graphics and it looked wonderful, even better once I got my x850. I am looking forward to UT3 on 2nd gen DX10 hardware.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Hey Antigravity, don't fret and just re-read the last paragraph of the article -- UT3 comes out in November for the PC and PS3 (Xbox 360 version comes later in early 2008). Midway hasn't given an exact release date for November, so stay tuned...

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
But playing it with d10 hardware wont visually benefit that much, or really not at all, the main ideia of using dx10 hardware in ut3 is for a overall better performance aka framerate, or so i've heard.
The only annoying thig is that all videos showing the game running are a bit messy, random explosion showing a big chaos and mess, and normaly the player on the video is way too rookie to show how the game would perform on a fast paced hardcore match (shaky and weak aim and Omg, not a single dodge).

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
lol, didnt that die already..

Anyway, so rob, was it more similar to UT or GoW (I know asking this to a person that has probably more experience with GoW than all the UT games combined, but I believe you to be "fair and balanced").

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Sadly, I've only ever played UT 2004. But actually, in terms of actual time spent on UT04 and GoW, I think it's probably an even split between, if only because Gears was disappointingly brief with it's single player campaign. Again, my experienced being limited with UT, I'd have to say that visually UT3 looks much more like Gears than previous UT games. However, as I stated in the article, the gameplay is decidedly un-Gears because you have a FP view and the game moves much, much faster than Gears. And there's a a greater variety of weapons, too. So there you have it.

As for the PhysX question, it's apparently integrated into the Unreal Engine 3 and UT3 does support PhysX. However, I have no idea if the processor was actually being used with the beta during the death matches. I should have asked, and now I feel stupid for not having done so. Apologies to the readers, I'll take a mulligan.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Anyone know if there is an offline part of the game. UT is my alltime favourite game and it'll really suck if it's only online. We here in SA pay through our a$$es for $h!++y lines. I can't game online yet coz I've got bloody wireless and the best latency I'l ever get out of it is 700ms. Great isn't it. I pay $100 for this per month with max download speeds of 1mbps and a 3gb cap. I really want to play UT3 so I hope there is a single player part to it.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Wikipedia
The AI bots will now respond to advanced and specific voice commands as opposed to the past where the player could use a very small amount of voice commands along with the ability to use a command menu.

the developer revealed that UT3 will not have the usual UT single player experience. Instead, there will actually be a story line, and the members of the player's team will have their own personalities.[3] This is a change from the normal UT single player campaign, which simply mimics the multiplayer mode in a ladder format.

Of course there will probably be an offline mode no story as well, just skirmish I assume.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Ok, so I came in early today and did some research. It will have single player but will primarily be for multifplayer. Feeling lots better now.

Single player should be something different as it's got a storyline and you have 4 main team members that apparently talk alot and are not just AI bots...