Laptop power options

a b D Laptop
August 13, 2004 2:41:44 PM

Hi All
Just bought a laptop to use in the car for GPS, which is working great. The
problem is as I'm driving, the laptop shuts down and I have to log back on.
I've set the Power Options in the control panel. The "Enable hibernation"
box is not enabled, the "prompt for password" is not enabled, and all power
schemes are set to "never". I checked the bios settings for power management
settings, and found none. Is there a way to disable these settings in the
registry, or any other place?
Thanks
Harold

---

More about : laptop power options

August 13, 2004 2:41:45 PM

If you just bought the laptop, it is under warranty. Have you checked with the
vendor or the manufacturer's website/or 800 number what could be the cause
of the shutdowns?

"Harold Druss" wrote:

> Hi All
> Just bought a laptop to use in the car for GPS, which is working great. The
> problem is as I'm driving, the laptop shuts down and I have to log back on.
> I've set the Power Options in the control panel. The "Enable hibernation"
> box is not enabled, the "prompt for password" is not enabled, and all power
> schemes are set to "never". I checked the bios settings for power management
> settings, and found none. Is there a way to disable these settings in the
> registry, or any other place?
> Thanks
> Harold
>

> ---

a b D Laptop
August 14, 2004 1:17:02 AM

Hi,

Goto the desktop option by right clicking on the desktop and goto screen
saver option and check wether it is set to none. becasue sometime if it is
selected and the option of display welcome screen on resume might cause the
same effect as you said.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

Ravickumar M

"Harold Druss" <hdruss@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Hi All
> Just bought a laptop to use in the car for GPS, which is working great.
The
> problem is as I'm driving, the laptop shuts down and I have to log back
on.
> I've set the Power Options in the control panel. The "Enable hibernation"
> box is not enabled, the "prompt for password" is not enabled, and all
power
> schemes are set to "never". I checked the bios settings for power
management
> settings, and found none. Is there a way to disable these settings in the
> registry, or any other place?
> Thanks
> Harold
>

> ---

a b D Laptop
August 14, 2004 1:04:05 PM

Hi Ravickumar M
That's exactly what it was. Now why didn't I think of that!
Thank you so much.
Harold

"Ravickumar M - MVP" <magicravi@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o CTEd0UgEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Goto the desktop option by right clicking on the desktop and goto screen
> saver option and check wether it is set to none. becasue sometime if it is
> selected and the option of display welcome screen on resume might cause
the
> same effect as you said.
>
> Hope this helps you.
>
> Regards
>
> Ravickumar M
>
> "Harold Druss" <hdruss@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Hi All
> > Just bought a laptop to use in the car for GPS, which is working great.
> The
> > problem is as I'm driving, the laptop shuts down and I have to log back
> on.
> > I've set the Power Options in the control panel. The "Enable
hibernation"
> > box is not enabled, the "prompt for password" is not enabled, and all
> power
> > schemes are set to "never". I checked the bios settings for power
> management
> > settings, and found none. Is there a way to disable these settings in
the
> > registry, or any other place?
> > Thanks
> > Harold