Sign in with
Your question

How do you take off the north bridge heatsink?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 4, 2002 1:53:09 AM

Does anyone know how to take off the north bridge heatsink on the P4S8X motherboard? It is connected in two diagonal corners by white plastic "nails", and I took out my motherboard to see if I could understand how to take them out from looking at the backside, but all that I saw were them protruding from the backside and I noticed that each of them had a slit going through the middle. Each one of the nails could also be pushed in a
little bit from the front and they always came back to the same position due to springs that they had on their bodies. I don't know if that could be useful information, but that's all that I saw that might be useful in getting them out. That's all that's holding the heatsink on, so if anyone could help me, I'd be very grateful.

:lol:  <b>Rhode Island is neither a road, nor an island. Discuss!</b> :lol: 

More about : north bridge heatsink

October 4, 2002 2:39:24 AM

My board uses thermal tape. I've not bothered with slapping some arctic silver on it yet.

But another board (the a7v133a) was just held on with those plastic pins. Which makes that heatsink one worthless son of a bitch.

Take a pair of pliers, squeeze those pins from the backside, and pull them out the front. Put some arctic epoxy, or use a couple drops of superglue on the edges, and slap that thing back on there.

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2002 5:14:39 AM

You can pull those pins if you simply squeeze the ends together to close the slot and wiggle the other side. I use my thumbnail on the tabs and pliers on the top.

You can gain cooling simply by adding a dap of compound under the sink.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Related resources
October 4, 2002 8:45:29 PM

Thanks for the help, I finally got it off. I didn't know how much force was required; I resorted to using pliers and practically ripping it out.

:lol:  <b>Rhode Island is neither a road, nor an island. Discuss!</b> :lol: 
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2002 10:36:47 PM

I hope it still works when you put it back on!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
!