Dark Messiah on Vista? mm.exe has stopped working... HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalgearps2

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
Hey guys, I recently bought Dark Messiah of Might and Magic Collectors Edition for my Vista rig. I got home and installed the singleplayer version, and when I boot it, it crashes after all of the opening logos. I get mm.exe has stopped working. I uninstalled it and installed both the MP & SP versions to see if that was a glitch with no sucess. Please help me!!!

My rig:

Asus M2N4-SLi
AMD Athlon X2 4400+ (oc'ed to 2.897GHz) :lol:
2GB OCZ Gold Edition RAM (800MHz)(Forgot timings) :sleep:
EVGA GeForce 8500GT (256MB) :kaola:
Intergrated Sound :non:

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Not sure if this will help you but.......recently my MM stop working also after having played it for months with no problems. After exhausting tons of solutions, I found that if I changed my refresh from 75 to 60, it would start after just one CTD. Guess you could try it.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I have the same problem, installed it and tried to play last night but I could not get past the prologue. I did the same reinstall but it still would not work. I t keeps crashing on the same load screen.

What OS are you using?

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
This has been an issue since the game's release. Setting the processor affinity to only use one CPU core on steam.exe before starting the game each time can usually get around it.

Also, installing only the SP game will stop steam from installing at all, and then setting the shortcut to always run in administrator mode got the game working for me in Vista 64 on the weekend. It still crashes mm.exe, but now only when i quit the game.

EDIT: Too bad there is issues like this, because I loved playing through the game. Enjoyed it all the way through

gamerguy1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Probably your PC needs a better Video Card.

It does crash, but not much more than other games. It has high system requirements, and you need a portable reactor to make that game run well. Also, register the game with Steam. It takes a while to redownload via Steam, but I have the multiplayer on both of my computers.

KOOS MADMAX

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
I had the same problem and i got the latest update and and got the nocd fixed exe with dll files so if you still have the problem let me know

holycram

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
hmm i know this thread is a little old, but i sort of have this problem and need some help...

im running vista and i want to play DM, but i dont want to go an buy it before i know whether or not it will run on

vista. so i downloaded the demo, and after it was installed, i double-clicked the shortcut and after the opening logos

and intro movie, it closes down and i get two messages, the first one is "engine error: failed to lock vertex in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer"

and right after i click "ok", i get "mm.exe has stopped working" but you know that message already. it isn't my video card (8500 GT 512mb) i know because

i can run TES IV: Oblivion just fine on med-high settings. i have tried to run as administrator, and have been searching for a while on how to fix this problem.

i also tried to download and install the patches...but after i download and it's instaling, i get a message telling me that i have not installed the game yet and that i should

install the game before getting the patch(this also happened to mo when downloading the patches for TES IV Oblivion construction set, but thats another story). this

whole thing is annoying and making me sad, if i just knew i could the game(and how) on my pc i would buy the game...but im not 100% sure. i dont know if this helps,

but i have seen people who have the same vertex problem when trying to play HL2. any help would be appreciated greatly, thanks in advance and sorry for the long

post.

G

I FIXED MY OWN MoM DM WINDOWS 7 64Bit !! It crashed on start up every sigle time... I patched game to 1.02, then i klicked Shotcut with mouse right button. Take Properties>Compatability... press "Dissable visual Themes", "Dissable desktop composition" and "Run this program as an administrator" Then it should worked fine !

I tried to do any things that earlier crashed my game.. I set settings to MAXIMUM and it didnt crash, and everyting.. I hope it works for you ! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.