nforce vs. Via vs. other

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hello folks.

I believe I read (in a posting in a discussion forum) that nforce-based motherboards generally are more stable than those based on Via chipsets.

Is this a significant, noticeable difference?

I believe I also read (in a posting in a discussion forum) that Via-based motherboards generally are "faster" than those based on nforce chipsets. (including KT400, KT333 and KT266A?)

Is this a significant, noticeable difference?

Also, would you be so kind as to point me to a good online comparison (pros and cons) of the nforce and Via chipsets (and any others)?

I am also interested in hearing your thoughts on this as well.

Thanks much!
DuckTape

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
You may have heard about alot of instabilities with VIA boards but much of it is exaggerated. Some have many problems with VIA boards while others have had no problems. Both have matured and now you should expect their newer boards (KT333+ and nForce2) to work as long as they are used according to specification. Between the two, choose a Athlon chipset based on feature-set rather than speed differences. Sis is also very strong.

This article on nforce2 performance may interest you: http://anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1719&p=1

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SiS seems to have the best compatability, nVidia and SiS seem to have the best stability, and VIA chooses to ignore these things to some extent in an effort to hold their 1-5% performance lead.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hello.

Thank you for your replies.

Anyone have anything to add?

(Please see my posting: "nforce vs. Via vs. other")

Thanks much,
DuckTape

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
I have a friend who has an Asus mobo with the nVidia chipset on it. Not sure if thats considered "nForce", but it doesn't have VIA so I'm sure thats what it is. He has constant lockup problems when he plugs his GEFORCE 4 card into the mobo, but none when he uses the onboard grahpics (which is about the equivalant of a geforce2 mx). So your guess is as good as mine...

[If loving AMD processors is the path to the Dark Side, consider me a Sith Lord. (dinoX aka Black Dog)]

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably a power issue, the GeForce4 draws a lot more power than the onboard graphics.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>